Roleplay Forums | Map

Make your backbone shiver
HY4, Early Summer, wandering up around Hidden Cove, morning

Ares is currently Inactive. Activate? Inactive
Name Player
Ares Nightingale Box

[Just a small note, Ares’s reference isn’t accurate at the moment. He’s more muscular and has more scars (check the scar log). Thank you!]

It had been months since he stood here. Last time was as a broken boy. Now he stood here, almost a man. Ares’s scarred ear flicked madly. He was still getting used to it after a job gone wrong. He had grown strong. Scarred, but strong.

Why had he left where he was? He had jobs. Food. Several offers to come into the folds of a pack. But Ares denied it all, instead coming back to the place where he lost himself. Not to find himself, no. Because one day he woke up and realized he hated what he was doing. And what was the best place to do that? Where he had been the happiest.

Ares stood, stoically watching the waves. Until, the wind whipped salt into his face and he immediately started sputtering. Now he remembered why he didn’t like the beach. He sneezed, before he was moving. Off to do…something. Anything. The world was his oyster right now and he was going to take advantage of it.

Jan 10, 2018 07:43 AM

[ ignore ]
Name Player
Yuna Nami Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper

((You knew I couldn’t resist, right?))

Yuna’s head snapped up.

She’d been headed home along the edge of the waves, her forepaws wet, a mouthful of herbs in her jaws. She hadn’t gone far today, conscious of her roving puppies. As the familiar scent came to her, she picked up her pace. It couldn’t actually be…

First Renegade, now… no. She had to be mistaken. She had to get closer. She scrambled over a rock, and there he was ahead of her. Bigger. Far sturdier - he must have been nearly twice her weight now. A solid great yearling now, no longer a soft-furred puppy.

“Ares!” She shouted in hope, in joy, and her mouthful of herbs scattered to the wind and went everywhere, into the sea and across the sand, but Yuna forgot all about the carefully collected plantlife.

“Ares, it’s really you!” She came barrelling down the beach towards him, all big hopeful eyes already shining with tears of happiness, her tail wagging.

Jan 10, 2018 08:08 AM — Post #1

[ permalink ]   [ ignore ]
Name Player
Ares Nightingale Box

Ares jumped at the yell of his name, whirling to scan the area behind him. Then, he saw her.

Yuna. In all her golden furred glory. A smile pulled at his lips despite him trying to remain stoic and he made a quick turn around, stretching his legs out to dig into the sand. And when Yuna came he stumbled a bit, but held himself together well.

Hi Yuna. I came back.” His voice sounded foreign to his own ears, deeper than it had been when he was here last, still hanging on to the frayed edges of his puphood. But here he was, resplendent, brand new, even though he was scarred.

Jan 10, 2018 08:12 AM — Post #2

Name Player
Yuna Nami Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper

She reached him, her eyes widening, impressed, at the deep sound of his voice. Certainly not the puppy she remembered. Kamaal’s boy, all grown up. “Ares, it’s so good to see you.” She reached to nudge the underside of his chin in a warm but still faintly submissive greeting.

She noticed the scars - of course - but that wasn’t the most pressing matter. He was here, whatever had hurt him, he had lived through it. Come back. Was he here for answers, as he had once been? 

“Look at you! You’ve grown so much.” She marveled, pulling back to really take in his broad shoulders.

Jan 10, 2018 08:18 AM — Post #3

Name Player
Ares Nightingale Box

Ares chuckled softly, flicking the scarred ear.

Took me a while I guess but I finally hit that growth spurt.” He said, tail giving soft wags. Ares had learned that just a small amount of emotion was good enough for a day. But Yuna was super nice. He offered her a smile.

So. What have you been up to?” He said, plopping onto his haunches in the sand.

Silu Tribe still going strong?

Jan 10, 2018 08:25 AM — Post #4

Name Player
Yuna Nami Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper

“You sure did.” She agreed. Yuna reclined back as well, mirroring by sitting when Ares did. It was still hard to reconcile. The awkward, overly clumsy pup with this sure-pawed burly young wolf.

She winced faintly, but tried to cover with a smile that didn’t reach her mismatched eyes. “Well. A few things. I’ve had three daughters, actually.” He probably knew already. Yuna still smelled like milk, though the girls barely suckled anymore, being ore or less weaned onto meat. Difficult territory to stray into, to talk about without saying too much. But recalled how Ares had known when she needed Tidus, had run to find him- she cut the memory off. She wouldn’t cry. This was a happy occasion. A reunion with a friend. Her whiskers quivered anyway. “We’re all fine. A few wolves seem to have… moved on. But there’s some old friends still around, and Pace has puppies of her own for my three to play with.” Happy topics. Happy topics.

“What about you, Ares? I want to hear everything.” Keep the focus off her, and on him. That was the trick.

Jan 10, 2018 08:33 AM — Post #5

Name Player
Ares Nightingale Box

Ares clicked his tongue. It was a habit he developed after fleeing the valley, something to keep himself sane and sound of mind. He took in a deep breath

And released.

Well…I…left the valley for a while. I was sick, in the head. I kinda stumbled around for a bit before someone decided I looked good as dinner. That’s when it clicked for me and I…I did some stuff. Not so…nice stuff. But I did it and I’m not proud of it, but it helped me back to this moment right here right now.” The torrent of words startled even Ares, who shook his head, reeling in the emotion.

I think my ear getting shredded was the last straw. So I came back here. Now…I honestly don’t know what I’m doing. Looking for home I suppose.

Jan 10, 2018 08:40 AM — Post #6

Name Player
Yuna Nami Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper

She flicked her ears at the sound of his tongue click, noting the habit, but he didn’t seem upset. Maybe even a bit more focused. He showed no surprise about her news on having pups, and asked no more questions of herself, and for the latter, she was grateful.

She had always been a good listener. The revelations were not surprising to Yuna. She had heard many things in her time as a healer. Things more shocking, more troubling. And she trusted Ares, who had long ago proved himself to her. And his words spoke of maturity, even if he himself hadn’t seemed to expect that. Shyly she reached to lick the bridge of his muzzle, where the scars were, an almost motherly gesture. She wished she had been able to be there for him when he wasn’t feeling himself. Not all problems in the mind responded to herbs - but they often did to kindness, to understanding, to friendship and support.

“I often come down to the water’s edge when I need clarity.” She commented, her gaze drawn by the water. How many hours had she spent in the past weeks and months, on the beach or standing in the shallows, just gazing west?

“You know you’re always welcome at the cove but… I don’t know how welcoming you’d find us at the moment. Have you considered going back to the Evergreens…?” She didn’t know how he’d left things there, of course.

Jan 10, 2018 08:46 AM — Post #7

Name Player
Ares Nightingale Box

Ares sighed deeply.

I can promise you Yuna, if I will return here no matter what happens. Pack or no pack.” He said, ears swiveling. The Evergreens. He choked a bit at the name, before shaking his head.

No..no I don’t think I would be welcome there. Not…not after everything I’ve done. ” The forest was suffocating. No, he needed something more.

Do you know of any other packs Yuna?

Jan 10, 2018 08:51 AM — Post #8

Name Player
Yuna Nami Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper

“You’ll always be welcomed from me, always. My daughters, too.” She put in. Ares wanted a pack - and Yuna was glad of it. He needed that, that stability, to help shape and grow.

“Only a few of those nearby, though I know there’s more in the valley. Further south there’s a gorge where the Adunati Rangers live - some friends of mine live there. Nomad, Efeon and Fawn. They help the Tribe protect the beach, and they send out patrols into the valley. In a forest south-west of here - a different forest to the Evergreens - live the Firewing Brotherhood. I used to know one of their healers.” Before he died. “I’ve also heard of a Sanctuary in the east hills, but I’ve never traveled that far myself.”

Jan 10, 2018 08:57 AM — Post #9

Name Player
Ares Nightingale Box

Ares bobbed his head. Rangers. Firewing Brotherhood. Sanctuary. He could roll with that flow. The yearling gave a small smile.

Thank you Yuna. I appreciate the help.” He murmured, pushing himself to his paws to nudge the smaller female gently.

I can always count on you huh?” He said, lightly.

Jan 10, 2018 09:01 AM — Post #10

Name Player
Yuna Nami Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper

She swayed lightly with his bump, smiling at the wolf he had become.

“No need to thank me. I’ll always be honest with you Ares.” She told him, soft and earnest. She knew what it had cost him when Renegade and Kamaal hadn’t been straight with him. She had been there for some of it. “Which is why you should know, that, Renegade. He’s in the cove now, he’s been helping hunt for my girls. He’s… been through a lot, too.”

She didn’t know weather he would want to see Renegade, or not. But she didn’t want him surprised if he did decide to stay on the beach, or if he came another time to see her at the Tribe.

Jan 10, 2018 09:06 AM — Post #11

Name Player
Ares Nightingale Box

Ares’s face hardened imperceptibly.

Suppose I’ll see him around then.” He merely said. He turned, giving Yuna one last bump, before backing off.

I’ll be back by the end of summer. I promise.” He said, dipping his head in a farewell.

It was nice seeing you again Yuna.” He said, softly, voice tinged with regret. He wanted to stay, but some part of him told him to drive on. And drive on he would.

Exit Trash Son

Jan 10, 2018 09:11 AM — Post #12

Name Player
Yuna Nami Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper

She saw it.

It would never be her way to push. Especially not Ares. Her head bowed, dipping back to say goodbye to him. But she had to reach out for a last cheek-nudge, a fleeting touch before he pulled back. The swiftness of the young, always restless. Would her own daughters one day be this eager to move on, for new lands, new starts?

“I’ll tell the girls to look out for you. It was so good seeing you too, Ares. May the stars watch over you.”

And guide Ares along a happier path than he’d known. 

((Fin))

Jan 10, 2018 09:15 AM — Post #13

Showing page 1 of 1.

Please log in or register to reply to this thread.