Roleplay Forums | Map

The Mighty Hunter Returns
Noon/cloudy but not cold/just outside the cave entrance

Name Player
Piper Nightshade Raven Marie
Achievements (?)
None yet!

The nights had been warm and comfortable in the caves, and there was a sense of safety that a rogue simply couldn’t procure on her own. When Piper had lost a rabbit she’d chased down through the woods, there had been a cache to fall back on until shed caught something the next morning to replenish it.

During the day, when normally the Nightshade would aimlessly wander and look for the days meal, Piper didn’t know what to do with herself. Shed scarcely seen any of the pups since joining, nor their mother, but the ebony woman told herself that was normal; what family would approach a total stranger without reason? When they were ready and the time was right, someone would find her.
Still, there was a discontent in her heart that she didn’t know what to do with. The trees and caves made a lovely home, in a place she could be useful, so what was wrong? The Nightshade had been thinking more about her own pups and family recently; maybe that’s what was wrong.

It was an easy existence here, something Piper didnt know shed wished for. But oh how she wished to share it with her pups, however grown, and…. Acesis. Fibby. Milo. Anyone, really…. But what were the chances that any Grotto wolf would not just leave home, but find her here?

To fill the hurt in her heart, Piper had set her mind on hunting this morning. It’d taken a while for her to track down a rabbit -the one she imagined slipped through her paws just a few nights ago- and after a prolonged chase that left the sturdy Nightshade to pant and grumble, she was finally able to add something to the cache.

Or give it to the first person she happened to see. Whatever came first to get rid of this rodent.

First, rest. Piper wasn’t yet used to weaving through the trees to catch prey; the ebony wraith plopped down underneath a shady tree just a couple yards from the cavern entrance, the rabbit settling before her. In giddy victory, the Nightshade twisted onto her back and wiggled, scratching her spine and stretching whist feeling very much like a pup.

Mar 17, 2018 05:48 PM

[ ignore ]
Name Player
Mintaka Slash-GNR
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Mintaka entered the caves with her rabbit in her jaws. However, something was off. A new scent threatened to enter her nostrils, but she snorted in reply. Who was this?

The golden girl struck an intimidating stance as she entered and found her way to the stranger. “Snakes aren’t ‘elcome here,” she said with a cool tone.

Snake was the woman here. She had the scent if Rath… but this whole cave did as well. Therefore, it wouldn’t be a surprise if this lady was not welcome. If she attacked… Mintaka could easily run away.

This was her cavern… She knew every tunnel and rock. She could loose this stranger in the darkness. The girl stood a few meters away as she pawed her rabbit under her.

Her bright amber gaze held in her signature glare and frown at the lady. No one was going to hurt her family again.

Mar 17, 2018 07:31 PM — Post #1

[ permalink ]   [ ignore ]
Name Player
Leas Fitzroy Matti
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Leas had trailed lazily after the pup, falling back so that Mintaka could be the proud hunter who was returning from their little adventure in the trees.

She had thought about just veering off to relax in the grass, it had been a busy day after all. She had spent time with Rath in the morning, then a trip to the clearing, then the whole trip into the forest. If the girls voice hadn’t sounded so cold and harsh Leas might not have followed, but she did.

She recognized the scent as she got closer. The new woman who Rath had told her about, and then quickly it struck her how horribly rude the child had just been. Leas hurried along, coming within sight of the dark woman and the golden pup.

“Mintaka, that was not nice.” She scolded. No doubt any bonding they had done this morning would fly right out the window as the girl was told she had not acted appropriately. Leas turned an apologetic gaze to the dark woman. “I’m sorry, I-I’m Leas.” She introduced, hoping that this could be smoothed over. This was the first wolf who had wanted to join their pack in months and she could only hope that Mintaka had not ruined it for them all.

Mar 17, 2018 07:39 PM — Post #2

Name Player
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Piper flopped over in surprise at the sound of another; a higher voice, that of a young girl, one Piper hadn’t already met. Her words were odd…. Snakes? The Nightshade was no dummy, and it certainly hit home that this young pup was speaking in reference to her. The ebony woman sat up from the grass, reclined on her haunches, and flicked an ear. Taking into account of the child’s age, Piper couldn’t help but think she was lucky she didn’t have a few more moons on her shoulders. Torn between giving the girl some attitude and completely ignoring her, Piper opted for a more…. humorous approach. She was still a child, after all.

“Good thing I’ve got four legs and a pelt then, eh?”

Nobody said she wasn’t venomous, though.

It was moments later that another approached; gosh, Piper, you must be getting old if you couldn’t hear anybody coming.

At first, the female scolded the pup, something for which Piper was grateful for; she was too new to be taking a motherly tone like that with wolves who didn’t know her.

All in time.

The female apologized and introduced herself as Rathbones mate, Leas.

“No harm done. I’m Piper Nightshade, Rathbone allowed me to become the Evergreens Herbalist a few days ago. I believe he mentioned you wanting to learn, yes?”

Mar 17, 2018 08:25 PM — Post #3

Name Player
Mintaka Slash-GNR
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Mintaka whirled around as Leas entered. She immediately scolded her and the girl knitted her brows. “But you said…” She stopped as the stranger shot back a joke.

Haha. She thought she was so funny. Mintaka narrowed her gaze and swished her tail. “A shame…” She muttered under her breath as she sat down.

Leas had said not all wolves were good. Why did she have to be nice to a strang… oh… The female named Piper explained who she was. Oh course… Mr Rat had told her nothing about a new member.

If he was going to be leader… everyone should know who joins. “My apologize… ” She began. “Rat…Rathbone didn’t ‘ell me ‘bout a new ‘ember” she stated innocently.

It really was a mistake. Mintaka just didn’t want her remaining sister to get hurt by this woman who now was not a stranger.

“What’s an herbalist?” She asked tilting her head. The Heck was that?

Mar 17, 2018 08:40 PM — Post #4

Name Player
Leas Fitzroy Matti
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Luckily for them all the other woman replied with a joke and Leas felt the instant relief of the situation diffusing slightly. Mintaka did not seem as willing to let things move along. She was a puppy though and when she looked back at Leas with a confused glance the brown coated woman wondered what she was thinking exactly. Leas had warned about strangers plenty of times, but it had never stopped Mintaka before. Besides, someone who smelled like the pack wasn’t a stranger, maybe that needed to be explained more.

“Thank you for apologizing Mintaka. You can tell that Piper smells like the pack, she’s been living here for a little while, even if you hadn’t met her before.” Indeed, Leas had only heard about the woman this morning.

She smiled at the darker female as she introduced herself. “Ah, yes, I had been interested but the other wolves who were herbalists….” Abandoned me with their children and ran away. ”...Are no longer here.” She glanced down at Mintaka when the girl asked a question.

“Herbalists know how to help sick or injured wolves. There are herbs that can make wolves feel better.” She smiled at the girl, encouraging. Mintaka had asked for other things that Azalea could learn to do, perhaps this was it as well. The painfully shy girl might not make a good hunter, but she had already proven an affinity for herbs when she had ransacked their cache of them as a smaller child.

Mar 17, 2018 09:10 PM — Post #5

Name Player
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Piper admired the young girls defensiveness of her home, ignoring her mutters as she sat down with a fairly confused look to her mother. Patiently, the Nightshade waited while Leas explained that, by scent, one can tell who is friend or foe. It didn’t take long for the girl to relent and apologize, to which Piper repeated with a smile and a wink:

“No harm done. I hope you find it in your heart be become friends with a furry snake, perhaps.”

Misunderstanding aside, Leas seemed much more comfortable; the Aide went on to explain that shed indeed wanted to learn but those who could have taught her…. weren’t here.
Dead or traitors, obviously, but Piper didn’t dare pry. What happened was done and now it was her job to pass on her knowledge. Perhaps a pup or two would have some interest, Piper hoped as Mintaka inquired what an Herbalist was. Again, Leas took time to patiently explain to her daughter what she wanted to know.

What a good mother. Piper smiled again, her bicolored gaze flicking from one female to the other.

“I can teach you, too, if you want. How to take care for wounds and sick wolves. It’s very rewarding, but not always easy.”

Mar 17, 2018 09:23 PM — Post #6

Name Player
Mintaka Slash-GNR
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Amber eyes narrowed slightly as if she were wincing when the woman winked. What was that supposed to mean? Mintaka shifted herself and played off the wincing as if her back leg had been in an uncomfortable position.

“Hopefully” was all she said in return. However… Mintaka wasnt sure if she could handle a new friend at the moment… They all seemed to leave.

The girl brought her legs out a bit farther to sell this fib. Ears perked toward the woman as she spoke. The information earlier given by Leas didnt go unnoticed. Mintaka turned to the side and nodded toward her mother-thing… She wasnt sure what they were now. A friend… Sure… Let’s start there.

Giving a nod… “I see… I wouldnt ‘ind learnin” she stated. This strange practice could help her make sure her sister would be safe… Or if she ran across Dion and he was hurt… She could help him. The thought of the white boy almost made her pretty golden pelt prickle. However… She fought the urge because she was in the company of two other wolves.

“‘Ind teachin my sister too?” she asked. There was a reason behind it… But this furry snake didnt need to know at the moment. Mintaka almost had to stop from saying sisters… As she realized this… The girl brought her stance up and shoulders back… Trying to mask her grief. Her poker face was on… Glare and frown.

Mar 18, 2018 07:25 AM — Post #7

Name Player
Leas Fitzroy Matti
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Piper against passed off the child’s rudeness as not a large problem. She seemed cheerful, jovial, and friendly to Mintaka. Honestly, if she was friendly to Mintaka, no doubt she would have no problems with the other children. Leas could not imagine any of the others greeting a stranger in a rude way.

She sent a little smile towards the other woman, grateful for her understanding of the puppies. They moved to talking about herbs then, and Leas found she was still interested in the topic. It would be good knowledge to have. Mintaka showed some interest in learning about herbs as well, and brought up her sister. Clearly they were both concerned about Azalea’s future.

“Yes, I’d be very happy to learn.” She gave a little nod and settled back to sit on the grass. “Some of the other pups might be interested as well. The girls I think, but maybe my boys too.” She gave a little nod to Mintaka, because of course Azalea could also learn this.

“We have a room of herbs. They’re….I’m not sure how useful any of them are, I’d bet some are more than a year old. But they’re well organized.” The upside of not having any functioning herbalists for a while was that no one had been using up the cache of herbs they had, and while Leas didn’t know what any did, she had kept them neatly sorted as they had originally been.

Mar 18, 2018 09:29 AM — Post #8

Name Player
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Mintaka didn’t seem so keen on becoming friends, but Piper couldn’t blame her. Everyone here had hinted of some tragedy, or perhaps simply a flux of wolves that never stayed; for a young girl, that mustnt have been easy to cope with.

In due time, child.

She did, however, share her mother’s interest in healing, inquiring about her sister being able to learn as well. The more the merrier! Leas confirmed still being interested, claiming that perhaps the other pups would be interested too.

It seemed Piper had much to do. Leas mentioned a stash of herbs, and the ebony fae nodded thoughtfully. Dried herbs worked almost as well as fresh, but if the leaves crumbled under her paws, well it was easy to assume that they held no more healing properties. An excursion outside the borders before the first frosts of Winter were clearly a must, but thatcould be saved for another day.

“I’ll teach anyone willing to learn, of course. One can never have to many healers. Ill look into the cache and see what is useable. Perhaps there might be some late blooming plants around here to stock up on, as well.”

Remembering the rabbit at her side, Piper turned and clasped it in her jaws before offering it to Leas; Mintaka had her own kill to carry and eat, after all. Whether it fed the mother or another pup, it didn’t matter to Piper.

“For you to enjoy. Would you mind showing me the store? I know Adhara gave me a lovely tour, but I’m afraid I don’t remember all the caves yet.”

Mar 19, 2018 03:26 PM — Post #9

Name Player
Mintaka Slash-GNR
Achievements (?)
None yet!

The woman was welcomed any new learners. Mintaka was grateful for this. Perhaps her sister wouldnt get hurt or even die. Now they had a medic and things seemed to be going slightly well for once.

All the girl wanted to make sure was that her last sibling was ok. Mintaka would do anything for her.

The question if a tour indicated it was time for her to leave. “I better get this to the cache” she said. “Have fun on your tour” she said with a flick of her tail. Her tone was kind of sarcastic… But it was just in her nature.

With that… Mintaka picked up her kill and began to head toward the storage area.

(Attempted exit)

Mar 19, 2018 07:53 PM — Post #10

Name Player
Leas Fitzroy Matti
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Leas nodded along at the dark woman’s explanation. At least someone who actually knew a thing about healing dealing with the cache would be a weight off of Leas. Maybe there were still useful things in there, or Piper could find herbs before the winter set in.

“I-if you want help with any herb gathering…as long as it’s not too far away, I’d go with to help.” Her voice sounded hopeful, but she wouldn’t raise her hopes too far yet. Achilles too had promised herb gathering trips that never happened.

Mintaka made her excuse to head into the caverns and Leas nodded after the girl. She was offered the rabbit by Piper and while she wasn’t hungry - having just turned down Mintaka’s kill as well - it seemed more rude to turn it down this time.

“Of course I’ll show you the herb cache, follow me.” She scooped up the rabbit and figured maybe she could tuck it into the cache for a puppy to eat instead still. She could distract herself talking to Piper about herbs. She turned back into the entrance of the caverns, glancing back to make sure the other woman was following.

Mar 21, 2018 06:49 PM — Post #11

Name Player
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Mintaka made her leave, and Piper gave a flick of her ears. That could have gone better, but at least Leas seemed okay with her.

Speaking of, the woman was offering to come with her on any herb exploring journeys. The Nightshade smiled, tail waving as she nodded.

“I’ll call for you the next day it seems to be nice and sunny.”

Leas accepted the rabbit and set off into the caves; Piper strode after her, ears perked and attentive as she was again shown the cave. This time, she would remember!

(Would you like to fade this one Matti? I’m gunna get a thread out before it starts getting cold lol)

Mar 25, 2018 11:06 AM — Post #12

Showing page 1 of 1.

Please log in or register to reply to this thread.