Roleplay Forums | Map

Nostalgia is a dirty liar
EA | With Relic | Overcast, about to rain | 66°F / 19°C

Name Player
Astred Valfreyja Lilja
Achievements (?)
None yet!

The clouds carried songs of a storm on their faces, bloated with the melancholic color of grey and carrying sounds of distant thunder.  Astred trudged through the muck, having kept silent most of the journey since Thunder Creek.  She had copious amounts of time to herself to mull over the unfortunate events of the past few days, and was beginning to see the fault in herself.  More precisely, the error in her thoughts.  It seemed normal wolves—southern wolves—were much more… peaceful.

Nothing good would come from second guessing herself, however.  Nothing good would come from anything lately.  Astred was finding that she was beginning to miss life at the Covenant.  Life in the basin.  Though, when Stephan heard news of her incident with a rogue, he would find some way to punish her.

She knew she had done wrong.  She wasn’t necessarily going to apologize for it, as she was much more stubborn than that.  But she did know that between the time they traveled to the Kingdom and the journey back to the basin, she would have to make it up.  She would have to return to good graces in her Lumen’s mind.

Good grace was a tiresome liability and nostalgia was a dirty liar.

Apr 06, 2018 07:24 PM

[ ignore ]
Name Player
Relic Aureum Erin
Achievements (?)
1year 2mos 6mos 100posts 250posts otm profile

It had been a while since Relic last trudged through these same trees during another rain. Last time, he was here with Stephan, Bea, and Sienna. They all learned of Stephan’s seizures then, which was an eye-opener to Relic. Luckily, Stephan hadn’t seized since - at least, as far as Relic knew.

Now, he was back with Astred with another slew of thoughts making home in his mind. The frustration and annoyance he once held was left back at the creek. Along the way he hoped Astred would be taking some time in self-reflection of her actions; the silence so far gave him as much hope.

But he also didn’t like knowing there was tension between him and another member he considered somewhat close to him. Or really just any member at all. He tried his best to be approachable for others and always tried desperately to see another’s side of the story. Astred was more difficult than that. She was a true challenge, but he wasn’t about to give up just yet. Every now and then he wondered if the Guardian held a growing bloom of hatred for him. Or maybe she was indifferent to him at all. Though if that were the case, he didn’t think she’d accompany him this far.

“Teach me how to fight better,” he said suddenly, keeping his eyes peeled in front of them as they walked. While Relic may have been a prime speaker and his hunting skills weren’t lacking, he’d admit he wasn’t the best fighter. Which bothered him a bit. Back during his training sessions he never really paid much attention. These days, he was beginning to regret it.

If nothing else, he at least wanted to beat Stephan at a spar once and for all.

Apr 06, 2018 07:38 PM — Post #1

[ permalink ]   [ ignore ]
Name Player
Astred Valfreyja Lilja
Achievements (?)
None yet!

As she walked, her mind wandered from the oppression of the weather to something more… expressive.  Might her thoughts been audible, Astred may have been embarrassed.  Lucky for her, the mind was as silent as the grave.

What plagued her mind now was a story of Chieftains and Tribes.  A story that had been her older brother Aki’s favorite because it had taught him to be brave and strong all while being humble.  Astred had thought that Thorstein, the hero of the tale, had been a pushover and a coward.  Apparently that wasn’t the meaning of the story, as her mother had scolded her for such harsh opinions of faith.

Thorstein was a son of the Chief, a beloved ruler with a kind and benevolent heart.  When his parents passed to the land of Valhalla, they made him promise to not only be reign with kindness but justice as well.  No sooner were the burial ceremonies concluded and he was marked Chief, than all his good resolves to be firm and discriminating were scattered to the winds.  So quickly indeed did all he had inherited vanish, that before many months had passed he had nothing left but the tribe itself.  Realizing he had no authority nor power, Thorstein decided to part with his throne.  But when he had once left his tribe, his so-called friends, who had been so numerous before, now speedily began to drop off, and as what Thorstein had to offer depleted, so did his companions grow fewer in number.

Then, when it was too late, Thorstein began to realize the sad plight he had brought himself to, and determined to abandon the land, and leave his false friends behind him.  For a long time Thorstein wandered on over desolate moors and through dark sombre forests, not knowing or caring where he went or what became of him.  He had no friends, not a single creature to care for or who loved him, so he allowed himself to roam.

Eventually, Thorstein crumbled to dust.  He died alone, he died without the comfort of friends or family, and he died without justice.

The story had been meant to teach humble nature but also strength.  Astred had never been anything but strong, but perhaps she lacked what Thorstein had.  Kindness.  Generosity.  Too much of it, however, would lead to a downfall like the beggar Chief’s.  Which in turn was why the Guardian was so weary of benevolence.  Because she knew what it could do to someone.

No sooner had she started to come back to reality when Relic’s voice broke through her thoughts.

Teach me to fight.

Her head lifted towards the timber male, eyes scanning his face for any sign of what he was thinking.  The statement—er, request—had been too sudden as to know why it had been presented in the first place.

“What?”

She asked instead, flicking an ear as if allowing the Lumen to elaborate.

Apr 06, 2018 08:24 PM — Post #2

Name Player
Relic Aureum Erin
Achievements (?)

It was probably true that there was a lack of context outside of his spoken words. He’d been thinking about his own skills when suddenly he blurted out his own desires. So when Astred seemed slightly surprised, Relic merely shrugged.

“I’m not really the best fighter,” he continued simply, tossing a brief glance Astred’s way before pulling it back in front of him just in time to see an upturned root, managing to hop over it at the last second. “I feel like in order to be a better leader, I need to strengthen my skills.” If there was ever an instance where he needed to protect somebody, he needed to know he could successfully do so - or at least successfully put up a fight. All he had on his side was stamina and speed, but not necessarily the strategy.

“Also, I’d like to whip Stephan’s butt just once. Whenever we spar, it either ends in a tie or he wins.” His cheeks puffed out slightly like a child. “It bothers me quite a lot…” he murmured, the lines of his mouth falling into a frown.

Apr 06, 2018 08:41 PM — Post #3

Name Player
Astred Valfreyja Lilja
Achievements (?)
None yet!

I feel like in order to be a better leader, I need to strengthen my skills.

While the statement was true enough, Astred couldn’t help but relate.  She, however, also wanted something out of the deal.  “Then teach me how to be a diplomat.  A proper one.”  Teach her how to be polite.  How to keep her cool.  Teach her how to be a leader.  Astred already had the courage and the stubbornness of one.  She now needed the attitude of one.

It bothers me quite a lot…

Astred’s blonde ears pricked.  It sounded like the matter was personal.  Maybe not, as Astred wasn’t particularly good at reading people.  But there was something there, hidden among the tone of Relic’s voice.

“You and Stephan are close.”

She chose to observe instead, waiting for him to expatiate on his feelings.

Apr 06, 2018 09:06 PM — Post #4

Name Player
Relic Aureum Erin
Achievements (?)

Apparently, Relic’s request wasn’t going to be given out so freely.

Astred countered with her own request, causing Relic to swivel an ear towards her with his head following suit. She wanted to be more ‘diplomatic’? Of her own volition? The Lumen gave a wry grin, though he’d be lying if he said he wasn’t impressed. “Deal,” he said in a verbal shake of hands. “The first rule for that is exhibiting self control,” he said dryly, almost mockingly but his lips grew into a bigger smile - one that gave away he was actually teasing his Guardian.

“You and Stephan are close.” He nodded idly, his head straightening back out. “Indeed we are. He’s my best friend. But even so, I suppose it’s more of a prideful thing,” he admitted. He knew it was petty. He held no malice towards Stephan at all. He simply wanted to beat him, if only to know he had the ability.

“I don’t wish to be a leader who can’t fully fend for himself. How else can others hope to follow me?” There was also that.

Apr 06, 2018 09:16 PM — Post #5

Name Player
Astred Valfreyja Lilja
Achievements (?)
None yet!

She was pleasantly surprised when Relic agreed to coach her, though his jest didn’t go unnoticed.  A shake of her head and a satirical chuckle rewarded her Chieftain.  Self control.  It sounded easy, but for a being as cold as the Lady of the Slain, self control in vexing situations was a tough beast to wrangle.

“Fair.”  She acknowledged.  “You can teach me while we travel.  When we pause for a rest, I can teach you.”  Fighting was a skill best learned hands-on.  There were basic skills that she didn’t doubt Relic already knew that could be taught verbally, such as defensive techniques and offensive stances.  Of course, it wouldn’t hurt to touch up on those things.

He’s my best friend. But even so, I suppose it’s more of a prideful thing.

“Best friend.”

Astred repeated thoughtfully.  Yes, she had a best friend, once.  Or something like that, she’d thought.  It didn’t really matter.  The girl who had been her best friend was dead.

“Pride, I understand.”  She shared with a knowing smile, smug on behalf of herself and her own ridiculous antics.  “Although I think Stephan’s looking for an excuse to boot me out.”  She shrugged.  Maybe she deserved it.

I don’t wish to be a leader who can’t fully fend for himself. How else can others hope to follow me?

“Naivety?”  She offered with a smirk, which quickly faded as she thought about the meaning of Relic’s worries.

“Followers see strength in their leaders.  It’s what draws them in closer.  You have the mental strength and capability of a competent Chief.  My job is make the outside match the inside.”  She grinned as if they shared a sacred secret.

“And it’s okay to struggle.  You’ll never know your strengths until you face adversity.”

Apr 06, 2018 09:43 PM — Post #6

Name Player
Relic Aureum Erin
Achievements (?)

He nodded at Astred’s words. At the next resting point, his training would begin. He wasn’t fully ready to make a fool out of himself, but alas. He supposed being unexpectedly clumsy was one of his charms.

“Although I think Stephan’s looking for an excuse to boot me out.” Relic’s lips formed a tight line. “Yes, well. He likes to do that…” his voice trailed off as he thought of past incidences with outsiders in the basin. The “poisoner” or whatever it was Stephan called her. Of course, there was Sienna, too. Though Relic still couldn’t wrap his head around why Stephan hated her so much. He had quite the flair for dramatics.

“He’s a paranoid type, I guess you could say. His upbringing had been…less than pleasant. His trust is very fragile.” He didn’t think it was his place to say more than that. Especially to someone that Stephan wasn’t exactly fond of, about him.

“He may not favor you, but I’m not sure there are many that he does favor. Besides, as much as I trust and listen to him, there have been many things I don’t agree with him on. Your absence in the pack being one of them.” Relic had more or less fought for Astred to stay. Sure, she was rough around the edges, but Relic had a tendency to see more than Stephan did. Or perhaps they saw everybody differently. Where Stephan saw the darkness, Relic focused on the light. Where Relic often garnered positive interactions with his members, Stephan often attracted negativity. The timber wasn’t sure why this was.

Astred continued voicing her thoughts on leadership, strengths, etc. He caught the grin she gave as he turned his head slightly towards her and reciprocated it. “You sound like a true warrior.” He laughed softly.

“But if you fail to transform me into a skilled fighter, then I may have to rethink your position in the pack,” he threatened, though it was of pure jest. A smirk scaled his lips.

Apr 06, 2018 09:58 PM — Post #7

Name Player
Astred Valfreyja Lilja
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Stephan was the paranoid type.  His upbringing was less than pleasant.  His trust was very fragile.  While she wanted to hate Stephan for all the beef they had between them, she couldn’t place him on her internal shit list.  She just couldn’t.  Because she understood.

“I think Stephan and I may have a lot more in common than I thought.”

She mused quietly, as if she didn’t want to admit such a thing.  Relic’s assurance of his confidence in her did lift Astred’s spirits, even if only slightly.  She gave a swift nod of appreciation towards the male, blue eyes glittering in the anticipation of the incoming rain.  The farther North they went, the more Astred felt… different.  Not especially good, but not particularly bad.  It was almost as if a sense of deja vu was lingering on her tail, though the lands of Sjóvatn were far, far to the North.

You sound like a true warrior.

Astred chuffed, the side of her mouth quirking upwards.  She liked to think that she was a true warrior.  It was all she’d ever wanted to be, all she’d ever been good at.  She knew who she was; she always had.

But if you fail to transform me into a skilled fighter, then I may have to rethink your position in the pack.

“And what rank is that?”  She teased back.  “Starlight sitter?  Or is there a special rank for disgraced wolves?”

Apr 06, 2018 10:14 PM — Post #8

Name Player
Natasha Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper profile

Natasha was out hunting, trotting back towards home now she had a catch secure on her grip - a raccoon, grubbing about in the dead leaves looking for tidbids for autumn. Natasha had a small bite mark under her chin, but she hadn’t bothered to look for a herb to put on the little mark, which wasn’t bad.

Maybe the choice cut of night bandit would convince Clint he ought to eat a proper meal.

Catching the sound of voices, Natasha veered in that direction, ears pricking up. She sniffed the air but the wind went from her to whoever was in her forest, and so she couldn’t yet pick the details. She let out a wuff around the raccoon, considering leaving it while she investigated strangers, but deciding there was too high a likelihood of something or someone nabbing her catch, so she brought it with her.

Apr 07, 2018 12:19 AM — Post #9

Name Player
Relic Aureum Erin
Achievements (?)

“I think Stephan and I may have a lot more in common than I thought.” Ain’t that the truth. It was too bad Stephan may never find out such a thing. At least Astred was more or less put on the right track with it. For a moment, Relic wondered if Stephan would even care if he did know Astred’s grave history. He was a wild card when it came to actually liking anybody. Instead of respond verbally to her statement, Relic simply nodded.

He was glad she understood what he said as a joke. Sometimes his jokes didn’t come off that way. The Lumen was still trying.

“Mmm…” he said idly, thoughtfully as he tried to decide on an adequate title for her demotion. “Perhaps Starlight Plaything?” Marbled gaze wandered to the canopy above as he mulled it over. “Or maybe just…Dishonored.” He shrugged, another smirk creeping on his face.

Just then there was a sudden boof through the trees and immediately he stopped walking, head whipping in the direction of the voice. Nothing about it sounded hostile and so Relic watched and waiting, eyes peering through the dense forest around them. It was only a matter of seconds before he caught an unknown scent tinging the air that grew stronger with every second more that passed.

“Hello?” He called out curiously to the one approaching.

Apr 07, 2018 03:51 PM — Post #10

Name Player
Astred Valfreyja Lilja
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Starlight Plaything, hm?  Shame.  Astred was nobody’s plaything.  “I think ‘Dishonored’ has more of a ring to it, you know?”  She shot back, tilting her head in question.  Yes, it was all fun and games until Relic actually decided to demote her to a rank as ludicrous as that.  Although, to her, the title was nothing.  Call her Starlight Plaything.  Call her Dishonored.  Astred was a warrior through and through.

Ears pricked when a subtle sound echoed through the trees.  A sound of a wolf.

Following Relic’s lead, the blonde stood idly by, though her muscles were unnoticeably tensed.  The first rule for that is exhibiting self control.  She had learned not minutes before.  Now was the time to put that knowledge into action.

While Astred did nothing to make herself appear hostile, her blue eyes did take to the depth of the forest, sweeping for any sign of movement that could detect the incoming presence.  Who knew.  Maybe this one would offer knowledge of the Kingdom without fleeing like a pussy.

Apr 07, 2018 07:35 PM — Post #11

Name Player
Natasha Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper profile

Natasha moved with confidence and obvious ease of practice over the uneven ground and through the trees despite the prey in her jaws. Once she spotted the two, an average-sized grey male and a girl with amazing markings on her face and vivid eyes - she reminded Natasha of Stark actually - she placed her racoon on the ground and took a few steps in front of it. The male looked alert but unafraid and the female neutral but slightly tense, which Natasha put down to being among the dense undergrowth. They likely weren’t forest natives. Her own slightly raised tail wagged a few times, face calm and professional. Overall her stance reflect her confidence, assertiveness, a little bit of friendliness if they were squinting.

“Afternoon - Natasha, Second of the Firewing Brotherhood pack.” She introduced herself promptly. She was surprised to catch pack scent, not one she knew, now she was closer. They weren’t Kingdom wolves though, lucky for them.  “Haven’t seen you two in Falter Glen before - what brings you our way?” The first part of the statement was not phrased as a question. Natasha was stringent about border patrols and few wolves passed through the forest without her being aware of them. 

Apr 07, 2018 09:51 PM — Post #12

Name Player
Relic Aureum Erin
Achievements (?)

Relic wouldn’t actually create an entire new rank simply for the sole purpose of sending Astred to a little form of purgatory. If a demotion actually happened, she’d simply drop down to Astral. Nonetheless he silently snickered at the Dishonored title.

When the stranger’s call rang out, he kept an eye on Astred from his peripheral view while maintaining the rest of his focus on the surrounding forest. It wasn’t long before a wolf emerged from the other side of a few trees, holding something fluffy in her mouth.

The timber watched as she dropped her prey and took a couple more steps towards them, soon clearing the air as she introduced herself. The Firewing Brotherhood. He’d heard mention of a ‘Brotherhood’ before and wondered if this was the same pack. If his memory served him correctly, he remembered hearing all about how strict they were. He wondered if that same strictness extended to strangers near their home, as well. As he and Astred ventured, he knew there had to be a pack nearby with the small explosion of scents that lingered in the area, but he didn’t think they’d crossed over any scent markers.

Regardless, Relic offered a small smile and a courteous dip of his head. “I am Relic, Lumen - or leader - of Soulfire Covenant.” He kept forgetting not many others understood his title. “This is Astred, our Guardian,” he replied, motioning his head to the blue-eyed female next to him. “We’re simply passing through. We’ve heard rumors of a male named Elliot and his so-called Kingdom.” His marbled gaze rested confidently on Natasha as he spoke, though he held no threat in his eyes. “I suppose we’re trying to gain more insight into the situation.” Especially after the threat of war from his mother. With them situated so close to the Covenant’s basin, the news didn’t sit well with the Lumen.

Also, he said he’d visit Sunfall and his children at some point in time. He had plans to do exactly that while they were out.

Apr 08, 2018 11:46 AM — Post #13

Name Player
Astred Valfreyja Lilja
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Chrisssssss <3
_______

It wasn’t long before an image matched the subtle sounds of a wolf marching through the wood.  A pretty little thing emerged from the thicket, her timber body casting shadows on the forest floor.  Those same amber tones may have shined brilliantly in the sun if it were not overcast and threatening to rain.  Either way, Astred relaxed her muscles and instead took a confident stance upon her shoulders, a stance that came rather easily to her.

Natasha, Second of the Firewing Brotherhood pack.

So the girl was part of a pack, which explained the numerous scents that adorned her aura.  Not just part of a pack, however, but a second.  Such a young thing must have earned her spot as the second-in-command of a tribe.

She waited through the rest of the introductions, offering a polite half-smile towards Natasha at the mention of her name.  Astred the Guardian.  Assred the Garden, as Anna had once referred to her as.  Thinking of the mint-eyed girl brought mixed feelings to Astred’s mind.  Sad that they could not longer train together, but also relieved.  Relieved that no harm could come to Anna by her paws as it did to Ylva, a girl of the past.

She had nothing to do other than to wait patiently on Natasha, waiting to see if she had any insight as to where they could locate the Kingdom.  Nevermind that she had a bad feeling growing in her stomach.

Apr 08, 2018 12:25 PM — Post #14

Name Player
Natasha Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper profile

((*wags*))

Why weren’t all wolves like these two? The male, Relic, explained politely but quickly who they were, the pack they were from, that they were just passing and where they were headed and why. She offered a respectful nod of her own to the guardian, Astred, before her gaze went back to Relic. It was no wonder he was a pack leader - Natasha was reminded sharply of Valentina in that moment though Relic was physically nothing like her, obviously. She swallowed, nodding along and making sure she was composed when she spoke up.

“New pack, your Soulfire Covenant? Haven’t heard of you before, where have you traveled from?” She gave a polite sniff to the male to inhale his scent more properly before stepping back again. She didn’t try it with the female, who had maintained a respectful silence while her leader spoke. Natasha got a very strong ‘no touchy’ vibe from the female, which despite her own tendency towards being quite the opposite of emphatic, was easy for Nat to recognize because she herself was exactly the same way. 

“As for the Kingdom, the rumours are true. Elliot’s been hiding out in the far east of our forest in some cave he found. Due to the danger he presented our pack, the Brotherhood helped put together a team to stop to him kidnapping and raping any more wolves. One of my senior pack members is with them now, and I expect to hear back form her soon.” There, have a whole forestfull of insights, Soulfires. Of course there was a little spin on her report to have the Brotherhood coming out of this well, naturally, and Effie was a senior more in age than length of time with the pack, but these two didn’t need to know that.

Apr 08, 2018 06:55 PM — Post #15

Showing page 1 of 2.

Please log in or register to reply to this thread.