Roleplay Forums | Map

What they call home
Early autumn, two days after ''Tie me with rope to the street lantern'', evening

Name Player
Ace Adrian Jeames

Ace was home. Even though it did not really feel like home without Caspian, it was home because he was part of this. Because there were wolves here who knew him. Senna, Catrine, her kids, Carrick and Cade. Wolves who cared about him, apparently.

It would not be fair to them if he one day disappeared and never came back. He was not like Caspian. And as he arrived home, he did not expect to see the male here. He was greeted by emptiness. No one around. But that was okay. He would see anyone later.

Huh, he was awfully tired. His limp had not gotten worse, which he was glad about, but it had started twitching a little an hour earlier. Maybe he was just tired from all the walking.
How much he wanted to lay down and close his eyes for a bit.
He pretended the meeting with that wolf had never happened. She had been crazy.
A crazy bitch. He just wanted to lay down and sleep now, please.

Sighing, he let out a quick howl to announce his presence.
Huh, he was a little bit hungry. Interesting. Maybe he should eat something. He had not eaten much lately.

Apr 09, 2018 09:03 AM

[ ignore ]

Scarce

Name Player
Nanook Himura Dai.

The sun was setting, the earth was settling down for the day, but this was Nanook’s time to shine.

The night was his time, to dwell on his own terrible thoughts, if need be, but the evening was his time to be productive. Patrolling, marking, hutning in between. Even though he was so pale, the darker times of the day seemed more, comforting to him. Maybe it was the presence of darkness. Maybe he felt better about himself, maybe he felt like he could hide better in the dark? Even though he was plain as day, he liked to think this way.

So, when a call was heard, he was quick to answer. Especially since the howl had been made by someone who he hadn’t seen for quite some time.

His legs moved swiftly, carrying him to the young wolf in good time. He hadn’t been very far to begin with.

A soft bark was given before approaching, not wanting to spook the frail boy. “Albus, it has been too long, how have you been?”

Apr 09, 2018 10:38 AM — Post #1

[ permalink ]   [ ignore ]
Name Player
Ace Adrian Jeames

Oh, he had not expected the old man to come greet him. To be honest he had expected Catrine, or Senna. He had not seen Nanook in forever. And it sounded like Catrine had not yet told him about… his name change. ’’Ace, sir. Ace Adrian.’’ he corrected the older wolf. ’’Albus has… bad memories.’’

He was Albus when he was a weak kid, he was Albus when Caspian abandoned him, when his real father did, when his mother did. When everyone else did. Ace was supposed to be a new wolf. ’’Came back from… some traveling. I doubt you’ve seen Caspian after he left, hm?’’

Caspian would never come back.

Apr 09, 2018 12:40 PM — Post #2

Scarce

Name Player
Nanook Himura Dai.

A sliver of confusion crossed the Guardian’s amber gaze, but as he mused over the name change and the comments made, he assumed that this was Albus’ way to deal with things he wished to not remember anymore.

What those things were, Nanook was very curious about, but he would not pry.

“Understood, Ace, then.” He dipped his head in respect and hoped that the boy would forgive his ignorance.

Another confused look crossed his features at the mention of Caspian’s absence. No doubt, Nanook had noticed that the male’s scent had been gone from The Hollow for some time now, but he had assumed that he was out Seeking. The way that Alb- Ace had spoken, it seemed like a more serious matter.

“I’m glad to hear that you’re running around on your own, it’s good to explore while you’re young.” The older wolf gave a smile as he spoke, but his face soon turned to that of concern. “On the matters of Caspian, I do not know any details about his absence.”

Apr 09, 2018 01:27 PM — Post #3

Name Player
Ace Adrian Jeames

Well, at least Nanook did not look at him weirdly or anything. Ace was glad he accepted his new name so easily. He shrugged at the mention of traveling; Ace did not really feel like doing that, anymore. To be honest, he had not enjoyed going out. When thwy spoke of Caspian, Ace couldn’t help but scoff.

’’He left, abandoned me, his kids. Everyone else. He ran away from us, and I doubt he’s coming back.’’ he explained. How did Nanook not know about this? Had Catrine not told him?
’’He’s not my father, anymore.’’ Ace said bitterly. But, he never had been to begin with.

Apr 09, 2018 03:09 PM — Post #4

Scarce

Name Player
Nanook Himura Dai.

The information that Alb-Ace had given, it was, disheartening to say the least.

Nanook listened and with each second that passed, he became increasingly worried.

Caspian… had left? For good? He had left Alb-Ace? His pups? Catrine..? Why? Why would he do such a thing?

The Guardian had not spent all that much time with the wolf in question, but from what he had gathered, Caspian had seemed like an alright fellow. It was a bit of a shock to hear that he had abandoned his family. He felt for Catrine and her little ones and for Al-Ace.

When Senna had left on her mission with Al-Ace, to find Nima. Nanook had become stricken with such great worry that he felt like he could not continue on.

His need to go and find her was so great that he had left everything behind. The feeling had made him become rash and impulsive and it caused a whole lot of mess for nothing.

Nanook could not imagine leaving Senna, abandoning her knowingly.

What could be going through Caspian’s head? Why did he decide to go? What made him run?

“I am truly sorry to hear this, Ace.” Was all he could muster at first. He felt terrible for the boy and he had no idea how to make the yearling feel better. He had been abandoned. There as no sugar coating that fact.

“I am sorry that you have been hurt,” His voice was quiet and confused. “But remember, you will always be welcomed here Ace, you will always have a family. Sometimes we cannot understand why others make the decisions they do, we are only left to live on with what they have left behind. It is our decision then, on how we remember them.”

Apr 16, 2018 02:14 PM — Post #5

Name Player
Ace Adrian Jeames

Nanook said he was sorry, but being sorry did not really help much. Ace took a deep breath, and then he let out a sigh. ’’I miss him.’’ was all he managed to say, at that point. He did not know what to do, or how to feel. He moved forward, closer to Nanook, and closed his eyes; he pressed his face into the bigger male’s chest.

’’I’m afraid.’’ he mumbled, softly. ’’I- started to notice my view- is different. I think I’m going blind.’’ Slowly, but surely. Ace finally realized he was not going to see forever. ’’I’m afraid I cannot stay a Seeker… I don’t know what else I can do.’’

He had family here now, but would they accept him if he was blind? Nanook said always but… did he mean always?

Apr 16, 2018 02:27 PM — Post #6

Scarce

Name Player
Nanook Himura Dai.

Nanook was quiet, he listened. He understood the young boy’s feelings, he had missed Senna too, so much that it hurt him. He felt for Ace and he wished that he did not have to go through such hurt at such a young age, to lose someone so close and not understand why.

The contact was unexpected, only because Nanook had not spent much time with Ace and was unsure of how the boy felt about him, but nonetheless, he embrassed the yearling, gently placing his paw around him in a hug.

When the young wolf spoke again, Nanook felt a coldness in him, a feeling of even more sadness. Blind? Ace was going blind? Why? When? He tightened his arm around the boy. “I am sorry that the world has been so unkind to you my friend.” He paused, his mind thinking of the possible future that Ace might have to live. “It will be ok though, Ace.” The pale wolf drew back, so that his amber gaze could stare into those strange red orbs. “We are your family and we will help you. There will always be a place for you and I will speak of the great travel that you and Senna took, to confront the Rapist King’s mother. The deeds that you have already done for the pack is something that you should always remember. You have grown so much Ace. If your vision goes, it is just another challenge that you will overcome.” His words were firm and he truly felt that if this tragedy really did befall the yearling, that he could work passed it and still thrive.

“If you would like, we can practice on enhancing your hearing now. When I was young, I knew of a wolf that spoke of another who was blind. He had excellent hearing and could still manevuer around the world on his own. It is not an easy task, but doable. As for titles, do not worry so much on this. Titles, ranks, they are formalities that speak little to a wolf’s actual strengths.”

Apr 22, 2018 10:54 AM — Post #7

[ Edited: Apr 22, 2018 10:57 AM by Nanook ]
Name Player
Ace Adrian Jeames

Ace felt Nanook’s paw, and leaned into him some more. He was quiet, as Nanook spoke. He did not really take in all the male’s words, tuning out a little. But, it was because he didn’t know what to say to it all. What to think about everything, anymore. Eventually, he did have to respond, though. Because there were a few things he wanted to say.

He pulled back from the male, and looked up to him.

’’I don’t think I can do anymore traveling or seeking if I go blind, so it might be best if I just become… whatever a wolf without an actual job is, here?’’ he said. What were those wolves called? Those who did not really have a job but just did what they could? Ace could not remember.

’’And I guess- how do I learn that?’’ Could Nanook teach him? Because Ace already felt useless enough and he did not want to become utterly useless.

Apr 22, 2018 02:31 PM — Post #8

Scarce

Name Player
Nanook Himura Dai.

It wasn’t long before brillant red eyes were staring right through him, right through to his soul.

The boy, Ace, he was hurting so badly, Nanook could feel the emotion rolling off of him. It was heart breaking, he was a good wolf, he did not deserve all that had been done onto him.

“An Aspirant.” He murmured a title that meant little to him. The Guardian was never one for titles and ranks, that being one of the reasons why he had always felt strange with the idea of joining a pack. He wanted no wolf telling him what to do and what not to do, he was wild at heart, a free spirit. The Sanctuary though, it did not feel like a cage, it felt like home, like safety. There was no one over his shoulders, bearing down on him and he liked that freedom.

He never wanted anyone to feel like they were lesser because of a rank or title, they were just guidelines to him. Mere descriptions on what that wolf focused their energy on, nothing more.

“You can learn by acting as if you are already blind. Go through your daily routine with your eyes closed. Listen to the world around you with all of your focus, as if your life depended on it and learn from your other senses. Your hearing and your sense of smell will be your most important and when you are ready, choose a spot and we can practice together.” A smile gave way as he spoke. If Ace practiced now, maybe life would be easier for him when the day came that sight left him.

May 20, 2018 10:07 AM — Post #9

Name Player
Ace Adrian Jeames

An Aspirant.

’’I- want to be an Aspirant, then.’’ Ace said, letting Nanook know. An Aspirant was a wolf part of the pack but with no real job description, right? They simply did what they could? While Ace doubted he could do much for the pack if his sight continued to decline like this… it was better than having a rank for a job he could not perform anymore.

Nanook offered his help, to get Ace better at tracking. To get used to his blind state. Or-a almost blind state. Ace nodded, and smiled weakly. ’’Thank you, Nanook. I would like that.’’ Fern (Briar actually, but Ace had no idea) had told him Nanook had been mean to her, but Ace just saw a good wolf. There was nothing wrong with Nanook.

’’We can practice whenever… I have all the time in the world.’’ Well, he had as of right now. Unless someone needed him to do something for them. But right now, he was just aimlessly wandering around the territory for a good while, so…

May 20, 2018 11:54 AM — Post #10

Scarce

Name Player
Nanook Himura Dai.

Nanook gave the boy a nod as he spoke, not really sure how to respond. He still felt strange with the giving of titles, but if it made Ace feel any better, he was glad to help.

A smile formed, the Guardian happy to hear that the young wolf was open to the idea of training his senses. “Well then, how about now? Is there any place that you prefer to go?” He himself wasn’t expecting all of this and began to wonder where the best spot for them was.

May 21, 2018 11:03 PM — Post #11

Name Player
Ace Adrian Jeames

Really? Now? Right now? Uh, Ace could do that, he guessed. Yeah, now was fine. Ace got nothing better to do, anyway. ’’Yeah, now is fine.’’ the boy responded, and took a deep breath. He had a habit of looking around, even though he realized a second later looking did not really do him much anymore. ’’What about here around the Hollow and such…?’’ he asked.

Ace did not really know where to start.

May 22, 2018 04:00 AM — Post #12

Scarce

Name Player
Nanook Himura Dai.

Another nod was given, his mind working now, thinking, trying to come up with a strategy. The Guardian was not used to training others, just another fact that made his confidence in being a leader lessen. In all honesty, he did not know what to do. His first year of life was but a blur to him, sometimes, he wondered if what he did remember was even real or just figments of his imagination that he clung on to so badly in hopes of them being real.

He was no true leader, but this place and it’s wolves were important to him because they gave him meaning, something that he lacked for most of his life and he would try his damnedest to do what he could for them.

“Good idea Ace, we should start where you sleep. Go to the start of your day and follow a routine. It will be easier if you establish paths now while you still have some sight left. When your sight leaves you, these paths should be burned to the back of your eyelids.”

Nanook stepped beside the boy, motioning him to lead the way.

Jun 13, 2018 10:53 AM — Post #13

Name Player
Ace Adrian Jeames

Ace nodded, and started sniffing. He did not really have a single spot where he slept… he tended to be all over the place. But if he picked a spot now and worked on a routine like Nanook said, it might become easier for him. He indeed would have a path to follow, on a daily basis. So, he sniffed, and he looked around, trying to find a nice little spot he could sleep at. To be honest, it probably would not matter where he would sleep, because he would not be able to see anything anymore soonish, anyway.

He decided on a little spot near a tree, a little west of the Hollow, and sniffed the tree, before rubbing against it. To mark it, for himself. So he would not miss it. ’’I could sleep here, from now on… and work on a path from here.’’ he told Nanook, thoughtfully. But where would his path lead? He didn’t really do much besides wander the territory and sulk. He did not really patrol borders a lot because he was nervous of meeting strangers.

’’I’m… not sure where to go from here.’’

Jun 13, 2018 03:05 PM — Post #14

Scarce

Name Player
Nanook Himura Dai.

It wasn’t a long walk before Ace had found his spot to den at. The older wolf did not make an notion towards the decision, but he wondered why he did not choose to sleep within the safety of The Hollow. The thought would plague his mind for some time, but ultimately it was the boy’s decision.

“A fine spot, would you like to dig out a den some other time? Winter is nearing and we wouldn’t want to lose you in the snowfall.” He chuckled, trying his best at ‘joking around’. Although, humor was not his strong suit, he understood that some appreciated it and even needed that aspect in their lives.

“We should lead from here to the cache or the river, whichever you prefer. Food and water are the most important things to establish a path to. We can go back and forth a few times, marking the paths and then we can try with your eyes closed, following only by scent and memory.”

Jun 14, 2018 07:06 AM — Post #15

Showing page 1 of 2.

Please log in or register to reply to this thread.