Roleplay Forums | Map

The Clock Is Ticking
Noon/ rainy/ looking for herbs(or a man?)/not far from the forest

Name Player
Piper Nightshade Raven Marie
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Early mornings sucked.

Having an unprepared herb stock sucked even more.

It wasn’t the first time Piper had left the Evergreens borders, but it was the first time shed been past the edges of the forest since joining. Shed risen with the bird song this morning and headed out, snatching a few of the largest leaves she could manage in order to carry things back by herself. Of course, she debated taking Leas or one of the kids along to learn, but other than a quiet howl before she left, Piper was okay with being alone. It was raining halfassedly, but the ebony wraith didn’t mind getting wet to help the stores.

With the weather turning colder by the day, Piper knew that if she planned for a litter this year, she would have to find a donor of sorts. The Nightshade wasn’t opposed to a mate, but didn’t have the luxury of time nor the will to get to know anyone well enough by winter. Truly, all she needed was a co-parent, or someone to hang around until she was sure she was pregnant before taking off.

Piper rolled her eyes at the thought. But who, honestly, would want to put up with her long enough to raise a litter other than Acesis?

Ah, if only the golden man were here.

Halting beside a bush and dropping the few leaves she carried to give it a thorough inspection with her prodding white muzzle, Piper wondered vaguely if she should bother trying to find someone before the proper season came upon her. The scent of her heat would draw in anyone interested better than her sharp tongue could anyways. Next year might find her winding down for retirement, and it was important to the woman that she have at least one more litter, even if she regretted them not growing up in Nightshade Grotto.

May 05, 2018 04:58 PM

[ ignore ]
Name Player
Freyar Gabriel Lucas
Achievements (?)
None yet!

ooc;; leaving this a little vague since his last thread is still ongoing, but it was time for him to leave the mountains lol <3 hey marie

The world was stranger than he remembered.

Stepping foot away from the mountains was like stepping foot into a whole new realm. The air was different here. Thicker, made his head swim at first. And there were scents all around, filling his nose, choking his lungs- not like the crisp air of the mountains, flavoured with the occassional prey or wolf, and not cool underfoot. Winter was nearly upon them, turning the world dull and quiet. Freyar both dreaded it and ached for it.

He had taken to getting used to the world again slowly. For the post part, Freyar stayed at the prairies, getting used to the grass and the fewer stars and the lack of rocks. Some days, like today, he’d venture further, trying to take it in. To register it. It would take a while to get used to, a long while, he could tell. But the Fellowship was gone, and surviving on the mountains alone was hard. There was only so much prey to hunt.

When it started getting warmer again, he would go back.

The day must have been wrong to try that specific part of land, because there was already a woman here. Freyar had grown more social since the Fellowship, less awkward in his talks, but he was by no means one to prod for conversation. And so he simply stopped, blinking at the dark form that was not near, but was neither far. If she wanted a conversation, she would have to strike it on her own, but Freyar did not want to risk an argument, was she not welcome to accidental company.

May 06, 2018 07:27 AM — Post #1

[ permalink ]   [ ignore ]
Name Player
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Nothing. Grumbling under her breath, Piper pulled away from the bush, shaking out her coat. As she turned to reach again for her packaging leaves, she caught sight of a figure in the distance.

He was large, impressive even from here. Colorless, clad in greys and blacks and whites. Piper would be lying if she said she wasn’t at least a little interested in talking to him. With a flick of her tail and a welcoming chuff of greeting, Piper took a few steps closer to the stranger, calling out to him with a voice sweeter than per usual for the gruff Nightshade.

“Hello there. Interested in company?”

Piper didnt honestly know what she was doing, but she could be flirty, right? It couldn’t be that hard to just…. be nice?

If things didmt work in her favor, well, it would be good practice.

May 06, 2018 08:06 AM — Post #2

Name Player
Freyar Gabriel Lucas
Achievements (?)
None yet!

The woman was large, but not as large as him. Unsurprising, really- wolves rarely were. When she moved away from the bush, Freyar could see the white decorating her muzzle, and what looked like mismatched eyes. Was she old, or simply unique? He blinked, and resisted the urge to tilt his head, like a yearling.

The strange turned to him, and Freyar found himself giving a single, curt wag of his tail, to single he meant no threat. Now that she was looking at him, it was more obvious: her eyes were mismatched. Freyar didn’t think he had ever seen a wolf with mismatched eyes before.

She didn’t seem to mind his presence- inwardly, Freyar felt himself relax, somewhat relieved. He could hold his own in a fight well, aided by his size and muscle, but he did all he could to avoid it- he was not the aggressive sort, and he found life sacred. He didn’t want to endanger it, nor participate in verbal spats.

“Hello”, he called back, voice gentle. Company. Why not? It had been… a while, since he had last conversed with an adult.

After a moment’s pause he took a few steps closer, and stopped at a respectable distance, sitting down.

May 06, 2018 08:28 AM — Post #3

Name Player
Achievements (?)
None yet!

He called back a greeting, moving closer until Piper could note the blue of his eyes before sitting down. An easy smile overtook her maw as she, too, reclined to her haunches, tail waving gently behind her at the prospect of possible victory.

“I’m Piper Nightshade. I can’t say I’ve seen your handsome face around here before?”

Of course, Piper never ventured far from her chosen home, so of course she hadn’t seen him. But if he were new around here, well, he didn’t know that. If he weren’t…. well then hopefully her attempt at flirting was enough to keep him from thinking about it.

The ebony woman wondered vaguely what he was looking for. Did he seek a home? A mate? Adventure? Trouble was crossed off her list quite quickly: he seemed the quiet, stoic type, not to mention that he had the chance to approach while her head had been stuck into the bush. If he wanted trouble, he’d have made it.

May 06, 2018 08:41 AM — Post #4

Name Player
Freyar Gabriel Lucas
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Uh.

The compliment had Freyar pausing, taken aback- he blinked at the woman. Piper. He had been called a lot of things in his lifetime, but handsome was not one of them. Big, perhaps. Beastly. Quiet. But a direct compliment was not something he had experienced before- nor something he knew how to react to. He grimaced awkwardly and hoped it resembled a smile enough.

“My name is Freyar,” he replied, giving a gentle nod to acknowledge her words. “It’s… a pleasure, Piper.”

May 06, 2018 08:56 AM — Post #5

Name Player
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Piper had clearly surprised him, and a soft giggle fell from her lips as he tried to cover it up. She wondered if it was the suddenness of it that had caught him off guard, or if that wasn’t something he’d heard in a while; because surely he’d heard it at least once before? Sure, maybe Piper was being a little forward, but he WAS a handsome man.

“The pleasure is all mine, Freyar. Do you happen to be looking for something? Perhaps I could lend you my assistance.”

The Nightshade didn’t know much about the valley, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t be a help for Freyar. The pack would benefit if she could manage to recruit this wolf, not to mention her own selfish desires, so if there was anything she could do to sway him, well, Piper would do it.

May 06, 2018 09:09 AM — Post #6

Name Player
Freyar Gabriel Lucas
Achievements (?)
None yet!

She was giggling. Well, at least she hadn’t been offended by his visible awkwardness. Freyar did hate to offend others.

He found herself distracted by her eyes again. Did she see the world differently, through each colour? His mother had once told him that wolves with mismatched eyes could see spirits. He was too old to believe in fairytales, but scraps of the feeling remained, making him curious and full of wonder. He didn’t dare to ask.

“I’m simply wandering.”

It was such a vague answer, and yet fully real. Freyar cleared his throat. “I lived in the mountains, but with winter coming, survival there is getting harsh.”

May 06, 2018 09:25 AM — Post #7

Name Player
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Piper noticed the odd way he seemed to look at her, but couldn’t place a paw on why…. So she ignored it. If he had something to say, he’d say it.

It seemed he wasn’t particularly looking for anything, just an easier life for the winter. He lived in the mountians; Pipers eyes glowed with warmth.

“I grew up on a mountain, so I know life on one is furthest from easy. Now, I’m an herbalist over in that forest with the Evergreens. If you need a place to stay for the Winter, we’d be happy to have your help. Most of the paws there are still learning to hunt.”

Piper nodded behind her, at the Evergreen Forest shed finally started to consider her home. The pups would learn as fast as they grew, Piper was sure, but the experience of another adult would be invaluable during the cold months of winter.

“As long as you don’t cause trouble and help out a little, there’s really no joining criteria or anything like that. Very laid back and peaceful sort of wolves.”

May 06, 2018 09:34 AM — Post #8

Name Player
Freyar Gabriel Lucas
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Freyar didn’t miss the way the woman’s eyes lit up. A moment later, the reason became evident. Freyar finally smiled when she revealed where she had grew up- so had he, and finding someone who could relate was always a gift. Subconsciously, his tail gave a few wags.

Mention of the forest, the Evergreens send a sharp pang of memory through Freyar. Hadn’t Meir once said that he used to be a member of a pack in the forest, perhaps an herbalist as well? Main clutched his chest at the memory of the ginger boy. They had not been all that close, but Freyar wished they could have parted on better terms. But now, the entire Fellowship was gone, and he was alone.

Her offer was unexpected, but not entirely welcome. Still, Freyar nodded. It was a kind offer, he knew that, but he the last taste of pack he had had had ended bitterly, although he had liked it. Perhaps, he would need a pack for the winter. After that, who could say?

Freyar offered a small smile. “I will consider it. Thank you for the offer, Piper.” A pause. He flickered back to the previous subject. “I grew up in the mountains, as well. Not in this Valley, though.”

May 06, 2018 09:46 AM — Post #9

Name Player
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Piper didn’t think he seemed interested, which was unfortunate on many levels, but she didn’t push. He would consider it, and before they parted ways perhaps she would ask him again. For now, he was content to keep talking about mountains: a subject she was all too happy to oblige.

“Me, too. My family’s home is near the top of the mountain, in a cosy forest. It’s been a while since I’ve been there, unfortunately, but I’m sure they’re still there in the grotto, fighting the mountain cats for each goat.”

There was a laugh in her voice as she talked about home, and the mountain lions that were really more of a nuisance than a real problem. Usually, they left each other alone, until they had their eyes on the same prey. Oh, how she missed the mountain, and her brother and sister and children. For what wasn’t the first or last time, she wondered what the chances were of anybody setting out and finding her here.

If only she knew the fate that had befallen her dearest family, that the cougars were the sole rulers of the mountain now. In her heart, Nightshade Grotto was eternal and powerful, unable to be toppled by the force of the gods.

May 06, 2018 09:57 AM — Post #10

Name Player
Freyar Gabriel Lucas
Achievements (?)
None yet!

The laugher in the woman’s voice was influential, and Freyar found himself smiling softly, too. He doubted there would ever come a day when he didn’t consider the mountains his home, didn’t ache for them, but surviving on them without a pack was hard. When he was younger, he had welcomed the challenge. Now, he was more tired, more inclined to peaceful rest.

“It sounds like a nice place”, he noted warmly. Had she left her family, then? Curiosity pushed him to ask, but it was not his place to. He barely knew her.

“It was just my mother and my siblings where I was born, unfortunatelly, so I cannot offer such nice stories, I’m afraid. Don’t you miss the mountains, now that you live in a forest?”

He hadn’t seen his siblings in so many years. If he saw them now, would he still recognize them? Would he consider them his siblings at all?

May 06, 2018 10:05 AM — Post #11

Name Player
Achievements (?)
None yet!

It was a nice place. It seemed that her companion didn’t have a specific home like the forest, and he hadn’t been born to a pack, but that made the mountain no less special. Piper wholeheartedly knew that even if Demi and Ler had not built their kingdom, she, Milo and Fibiana would have been just as happy.

“Don’t you miss the mountains, now that you live in a forest?”

Piper hesitated, and then shrugged. It wasnt so different, for shed lived in a forest ON the mountain but…. She knew what he meant. The shine of her eyes dyed a little as she thought of the solitary existence shed lived for so long before the Evergreens.

“So very much, yes. I remember going to the top and knowing I was queen of the whole world. I miss the snow most of all, but really, I also miss my family. I have a brother and a sister, and many children and nieces and nephews. I left for adventure, but it’s been a lonely one. I had hoped to have a new litter this winter, before I get too old for kids.”

May 06, 2018 10:39 AM — Post #12

Name Player
Freyar Gabriel Lucas
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Such a big family… If he had been her, Freyar didn’t know if he could have left. But- hadn’t he? He had left his mother and his siblings all those years ago. Would he have left if he had children, though? He didn’t know. It was not an experience he had.

Freyar gave an understanding nod. Loneliness made many wolves ache for a family. But the did not look all that old, despite the white on her muzzle. Around his age, probably, give or take.

“How old are you?”, he questioned gently.

May 06, 2018 10:48 AM — Post #13

Name Player
Achievements (?)
None yet!

The conversation took a welcome personal twist. How old was she? Well, Piper couldn’t say she hadn’t been expecting it, and she didn’t take offence.

“I’m almost halfway through my fourth year. Still have a few more good years left, of course, but I can’t imagine I’ll want to be trailing around a bunch of pups in the coming years without a mate.”

Piper flicked an ear nonchalantly, as if the fact that she didn’t have the necessary means to actually make children was trivial. In fact, to her, it was; even if she didn’t find a mate or co-parent, there was always instinct and hormones to help along when the time came.

Of course, Piper couldnt help but ask. He looked to be maybe a little older than her, so it was likely, but that didn’t mean he’d found his own co-parent or mate along the way.

“Do you have children?”

May 06, 2018 11:11 AM — Post #14

Name Player
Freyar Gabriel Lucas
Achievements (?)
None yet!

She wasn’t old at all. In fact, Freyar found her quite young- but her reasoning made sense. So, then, the mate she had her children with had not come along with her, or had she not had one at all? Perhaps something had happened to them. He wasn’t going to ask.

“You’re younger than me”</b>, he noted softly. “A year or so, perhaps.”

And already seemed to have accomplished a lot. A herbalist, a traveler, a parent. It was a full life, Freyar had to admit. He had not had such a full one.

He blinked at her question. He should have expected it, he supposed, but he hadn’t. “I don’t.”

May 06, 2018 11:39 AM — Post #15

Showing page 1 of 2.

Please log in or register to reply to this thread.