Roleplay Forums | Map

Did I build this ship to wreck?
[summons] Sniffin' for Natasha | AW | probably backdated idk??? | p close to the wasteland.

Scarce, Skippable

Name Player
Effie Quinn Staff
Achievements (?)
helper otm

She felt like she was too many steps behind.

Just a little too far away to catch up.

But she had a direction now and she’d wasted little time hanging around a pack that didn’t seem all that welcoming to wolves who aligned themselves under the name of the Brotherhood. She wished the circumstances had been different. That, perhaps, they hadn’t been harboring wolves Natasha was on less than friendly terms with. Despite the words she’d spoken to Catrine, Effie had very little hope that Natasha’s mind would be swayed. Effie knew Natasha was like her in at least one aspect. She would latch on to something, some purpose or conclusion, and she would not release until it was done. Effie would try, of course. She would suggest that Natasha reconsider her rejection of the alliance with the Hill wolves, but she would not push for it. If Natasha’s mind was made, she had very little chance of changing it.

At least, if she spoke to Natasha about it, Natasha might see where her behavior towards the pack had been….unprofessional, at least. From what Catrine had said - Effie still sought Natasha’s side of the story. But, Natasha was their second, she very well should not go around threatening pack wolves. Especially with the pack dwindling.

But, of course, that wasn’t the sole reason she was seeking Natasha. She needed to know Clint had disappeared from the Falls. That was most important. Everything else would be discussed later, if she could make time.

She huffed a breath out through her nose, pausing in following the fading scent of Natasha. She lifted her head to allow her eye to scan the landscape, hoping to spot a figure somewhere, but there was nothing. She was nearing the desert, she thought. The grasses had begun to thin - to give way to rocky ground. The thought of venturing back into that dreadful wasteland placed a frown on Effie’s lips. She was not keen on it, but if she had to, she would. She remained where she was for the moment, tail swaying, mind turning.

She tipped her head gently skyward and let loose a howl. If Natasha was near, surely she would return the call.

May 06, 2018 07:29 PM

[ ignore ]
[ Edited: May 06, 2018 07:33 PM by Effie ]
Name Player
Natasha Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper profile

((SORRY mate I wasn’t sure if her Sokol thread would end in a fight, you know her…))

Natasha loped towards the call, having heard it at the tail-end of her conversation with the creamy-furred male. Once she spotted a flash of Effie’s coat she released a howl herself, adjusting her angle so she was headed straight for her packmate.

Why had she come looking? Hopefully it wasn’t bad news,

May 10, 2018 12:06 AM — Post #1

[ permalink ]   [ ignore ]

Scarce, Skippable

Name Player
Effie Quinn Staff
Achievements (?)
helper otm

Natasha was closer than Effie thought, much to her surprise. It wasn’t long before a returning howl, a familiar one, rang out across the land. Effie set off towards the sound, relieved that she would not have to wait, nor wander back into the wasteland.  There was a moment where she considered it - if only to see how the girl pup she’d met upon her arrival was faring, but time was of the essence, and Effie didn’t have time for simple social calls. Clint needed to be found.

Natasha,” Effie called when she neared, tone pleasant but urgent. “Have you concluded your business here in the hills?” Effie asked, a gentle segue into what she’d come seeking Natasha for. She would not sit when the distance closed, like usual. Instead, she remained standing, urgency tugging at her. Effie choose to pause for just a moment - to allow Natasha a chance to speak. She was keen to share her news, but she would not drop in on Natasha with barley a hello.

May 10, 2018 08:10 PM — Post #2

Name Player
Natasha Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper profile

Once she was close, Natasha simple fell in beside Effie, nodding towards home in an indication she was ready right now.

“Good to see you Effie. Sure as hell am.” annoyance creased her muzzle and folded her ears back. “This has been the most frustrating trip in the world.” She grumbled, eyeing Effie, who didn’t look panicked.

“Everything okay back at the Brotherhood? Oh, Laura asked for some time around the Sanctuary and that she’d make her own way home.” Natasha’s voice shifted from disapproval when she said the name ‘Sanctuary’ to approval over Laura being a little more indepenant - it was good for the shy girl to build her confidence, Natasha thought.

((Making this little assumption about Laura as Jill hasn’t been around for a bit))

May 10, 2018 11:10 PM — Post #3

Scarce, Skippable

Name Player
Effie Quinn Staff
Achievements (?)
helper otm

Natasha neared and wasted no time standing around - nodding towards home in what Effie thought was indication that she was good to head back. Effie turned, assuming Natasha would follow, and started heading back towards the falls. Her pace was brisk - a trot that would conserve energy and still get them moving with a quickness.

Effie flicked a glance towards Natasha when she spoke, curious. Effie didn’t really have to wonder too much why her trip had been frustrating - probably had something to do with her father. Effie wouldn’t comment, for now.

Instead, she focused on the question Natasha asked, a frown tugging at the corners of her lips. “Mostly, yes.” No one else had died, at least. “But Eyja, Stark, and I,” Effie started, lips pursed. “We haven’t seen Clint for a while,” Effie explained, another glance, this one carrying worry. “I thought maybe he’d come along with you, but Eyja said it was just you and Laura.”

May 12, 2018 01:14 AM — Post #4

Name Player
Natasha Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper profile

Natasha feel in walking at Effie’s side, not feeling the need to compete with the older wolf - she wanted the news from home, this wasn’t about ego trips. Her gaze hardened when she heard Effie’s news.

Clint. Had he really done it? Had he left, when he knew how many wolves had abandoned the Brotherhood in the past? Her own brother?!

“I went to see him after the pack meeting.” She told Effie, her lips drawing together grimly, ears swivelling back. “He talked about how it wasn’t worth doing anything like eating, or being a part of the pack because everyone would just die. I convinced him to eat, but he just said that he wasn’t needed in the pack and threatened to run away.” Her expression became thunderous at the very notion.

Clint abandoning the Brotherhood. She was furious.

May 12, 2018 10:20 PM — Post #5

Scarce, Skippable

Name Player
Effie Quinn Staff
Achievements (?)
helper otm

Effie didn’t miss the look Natasha gained after Effie told her her news. It seemed Clint had told Natasha about his desire to leave - but she called it a threat. As much as she admired Natasha and all the girl stood for, Effie couldn’t help but think whatever issues she’d had with wolves leaving the pack had blinded her to what Clint might have been really saying. Not that Effie might know any better - she didn’t know the boy at all.

What she did know was that all of Marzena’s children were grieving her death in different ways - they could deny it all they wanted. It was still recent, still fresh as far as deaths go. It wasn’t something you got over in a few months and Effie knew that as well as anyone. She still missed her dear sister like a missing limb - it wasn’t something you forgot. Got used to, maybe, but it would never go away. She sighed, quietly.

And what did you say to him?” Effie asked, tone even, curious. There was no doubt in her mind that Marzena’s death had been the breaking point for Clint, but if he had been looking for support of some kind from Natasha and she hadn’t given it, perhaps there were more factors. She kept her thoughts wrapped up in her mind. Voicing them would only make things worse, likely.

Whatever it was, Effie hoped Natasha would bring her brother back and fix it. Those three needed each other now more than ever.

May 13, 2018 10:57 PM — Post #6

Name Player
Natasha Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper profile

Natasha’s paws came down with just a touch too much force as she marched along.

“I told him the pack needed him, that Stark and I did. That he needed to make a conscious choice to keep on living. And when he wouldn’t listen to me-” Here her eyes narrowed again. It was no secret Natasha hated to be ignored, and when the wolf was somebody who was meant to be close to her it was all the worse. Clint had fallen into this category, ignoring her as she tried and tried to reach him. “I told him the truth, that if he turned into yet another wolf who ran away he wouldn’t be my brother anymore.”

She hadn’t thought he’d do it, and that core of anger burned all the more fiercely for that it seemed like he had. Anger was so much easier. If she stayed angry at Clint for ditching the pack, his family, she couldn’t feel hurt by his betrayal.

May 14, 2018 06:58 AM — Post #7

Scarce, Skippable

Name Player
Effie Quinn Staff
Achievements (?)
helper otm

Effie listened as Natasha recounted what she had said to Clint. She couldn’t help but find similarities in what both brothers seemed to be suffering through - could they both be ill with the same ailment? She wished she had a name for whatever it was that plagued some wolves - drained all the will to survive and be happy right from them. If both boys had been stricken with the same ailment, did Natasha suffer too? She seemed much more resilient than both of her brothers, truthfully, but she’d seen the sickness take down much mightier wolves in her days.

She couldn’t help but think Natasha’s words might have been the straw to break the camels back - so to speak. On top of everything, surely his sister declaring to disown him would have hurt him deeply - on top of all the death the Brotherhood had suffered. Effie repressed a sigh. She wondered if she would even be able to convince Natasha to go after her brother now, to try and make amends and fix whatever might have broken between them. She pursed her lips, gaze pointed towards home.

Her head tipped marginally towards Natasha when she spoke. “May I tell you what I think?” She hoped her tone conveyed exactly how willing she was to let it drop, if that was what Natasha wanted. There was also the fact that Natasha might not like what she had to say, but this was Effie giving her the option to hear her out or shut her up - Effie was only giving her a choice because she respected Natasha and they were pack. Any other wolf would not have had the choice.

May 14, 2018 04:48 PM — Post #8

Name Player
Natasha Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper profile

Natasha simply nodded, or more aptly gestured with her head to keep going. She herself wasn’t the sort of wolf to ask that question. She just plowed ahead, and anyone who didn’t like her opinions could just keep it to themselves. “Go ahead.”

May 17, 2018 08:05 AM — Post #9

Scarce, Skippable

Name Player
Effie Quinn Staff
Achievements (?)
helper otm

That was easier than she thought - Natasha urged her on easily and Effie nodded in return, eyes remaining fixed on the path to home. She pushed on, letting the words fall from her lips.

I think you need to put whatever anger it is you hold onto over wolves leaving the Brotherhood aside right now. This isn’t about the pack, not entirely. This is about bringing your brother home no matter what he may have done to upset you or visa versa.” Effie paused there - a small break to think of how to put the rest of it. The pack, while important, only meant so much. She only hoped she could make Natasha see that sometimes family, no matter what they might have done, were far more important than some things. Clint was a grieving son who had lost his mother - she couldn’t help but think he just needed a little extra support. Not all wolves were made of the stuff Natasha seemed to be made of - not all of them could so easily cover up the grief of losing someone important. “Stark came to me before I came to find you. He hold me he’s been having nightmares and that he’s been having strong feelings of sadness.” It sounded silly when she couldn’t put a name to it, but she continued on, “There’s this disease I’ve encountered on occasion. It’s a sickness of the mind, I think - it drains a wolf of his happiness and, if it’s bad enough, I’ve seen it take lives.”

Her expression shifted, seriousness blanketing her features. She hoped Natasha understood the urgency in all of this. She hadn’t even thought Clint might be afflicted with the same sickness that Stark had until Natasha had told her what he had said when she had talked to him. Of course, it could just be the sorrow of losing his mother and not coping well - like she’d first assumed with Stark. She’d seen the sickness in enough relatives to know it was something that could be passed down in lineages. Marzena hadn’t seemed ill with the disease from what she’d seen of her - but there was always the father, family further back as well.

I fear if we do not fight for him, we will not see him again.” Someone had to find him and bring him back. If Natasha was unwilling, Effie wasn’t sure what she would do. She’d been so set on being home and staying home the last time she’d returned to the Falls, but there always seemed to be something pulling her away.

She thought, if she had to…

She would search the entire valley to bring Clint home whole.

Marzena and Natasha had taken her in when she needed a home - she was loathe to let that home fall apart any more than it had already.

May 17, 2018 08:04 PM — Post #10

Name Player
Natasha Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper profile

Effie was wrong about one thing - for Natasha, everything came down to the pack. But it said a lot about how much respect she had for the older woman that she didn’t interrupt to proclaim that, just let her speak her piece.

Natasha had never considered her brothers could be sick. It seemed ridiculous - they were healthy, they’d been born healthy, and since they were tiny she had wrestled and beaten it into them how to be strong. (Brothers needed a decent sister for this task).

“How do you cure it?” She asked, neutrally, not about to allow Clint and Stark to blame all their problems on some illness that didn’t seem like an illness.

“I tried, Effie.” She shot back at her last words, faintly defensive. “I went to be supportive to Clint, and he threw it in my face. If he wants to be selfish, if he wants to forget about the pack and the family he has left, I’m not going to beg him to come back again. If he comes to me, and he’s sick and he needs herbs, AND he apologizes, fine. But otherwise, he’s making his own choices.”

She would not show hurt. Even as her jaw tensed and her voice thickened due to the sting in her throat. She. Would. Not.

May 18, 2018 01:36 AM — Post #11

Scarce, Skippable

Name Player
Effie Quinn Staff
Achievements (?)
helper otm

Of course the first thing Natasha would want to know was how to cure it. Effie’s ears fell just a little, a solemn shake of her head accompanying her lips turning down just a fraction. “There is no way to cure it, as far as I know. Maybe one with more experience with it might know more. I only know how to treat it, to make it less severe.” She only had a moment to dwell on how she might be failing two wolves with the lack of knowledge. Sickness of the mind was one of the few things that often stumped her - she was much more privy to sickness she could see.

She caught the defensiveness in Natasha’s tone easily and it was to be expected. Effie dipped her head in quick acknowledgement. “I am sorry. I was not insinuating that you had not offered support,” Effie paused, lips pursing before she continued. “What you said -that he would not be your brother should he leave- may have cemented what he was feeling.” Even with the illness she assumed Stark was afflicted with being present in Clint as well, no one would like to hear that. Especially while suffering through the loss of a loved one. She hummed, thinking back over the wolves she had encountered in her past that had shown signs of the sickness. “I do not know what it does to the mind exactly, but it seems to take what good they can find away. It seems easier for them to latch on to the bad.”

She sighed then, just a quiet exhale. It sounded like Natasha was not willing to go and search for him but Effie was not willing to let it go that easily. She shifted her eyes towards Natasha, then, gaze steady. She didn’t miss the change in Natasha’s voice, the change of tone, like her throat was tightening against emotion, maybe. She did not like upsetting Natasha, if that was what she was doing - but it gave her hope. “If I search for him, are you willing to come with me?” That would at least tell her whether or not Natasha was willing to try and bring him back. She wouldn’t make her do it alone but she wasn’t sure that would mean anything at all.

In the end, Natasha would be able to fix this better than anyone else, if she was willing.

She had the power to make it so much worse than it was, too. Especially if Clint was as hard to get through to as it seemed.

May 18, 2018 04:47 PM — Post #12

Name Player
Natasha Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper profile

“Then he’ll have to want to get better himself.” Natasha decided upon hearing there was no cure. And if Clint wanted to stay brooding and non-responsive, she wouldn’t waste her time on him. 

And maybe in time she’d learn how to be strong without one of her brothers standing beside her. She’d have to. Effie then asked if she would come with her to find Clint. Her answer came almost immediately.

“No.” Once more her voice was sure. “I’m not traipsing around after Clint when the pack needs me.” He’d forgotten the Brotherhood, but she hadn’t. “The cache needs stocking up for winter, herbs need to be collected before they all die off, and more than likely Eyja’s kids will be ready for their mentors, which is me for Finni, and Stark for Nanna. But if you want to search for him, you can.” She didn’t want to keep talking about Clint, didn’t want to the conversation to lead in a direction that would reveal she had lost patience with her brother who could be sick, and the stiffness in her shoulders and tail indicated she was done talking about him.

“Eyja and I spoke though - about you.” Her silver gaze went to Effie, changing the subject. “We know you’re a newer addition to the Brotherhood, but you’ve more than proved yourself in the time you’ve been here. You’ve done more and been more proactive than wolves who spent twice as long here, and you never split.” Unlike so many others. Loyalty to the Brotherhood was something Natasha kept in high regard.

“We’d like you to take the lead healer rank.”

May 18, 2018 08:48 PM — Post #13

Scarce, Skippable

Name Player
Effie Quinn Staff
Achievements (?)
helper otm

Maybe it was the simple fact that she spent nearly her entire life fixing wolves that made it hard for her to let this go. She felt obligated to fix it - to clean up whatever messes she came across.

Natasha was dismissive.

Clint would have to want to get better - without help, it seemed. “He may not know he is sick,” Effie explained, hope draining. It seemed she would be on her own in this.

The answer to her question came quickly, no hesitation. Effie wasn’t sure what she’d expected. She thought that maybe, just maybe, she would help Effie find her brother and bring him back home. But that wasn’t the case. She was willing to let him go, just like that, and Effie couldn’t fathom moving on so easily. Even in her natal pack, they had always known the would see their boys again, one day. Natasha seemed willing to just give up on Clint, just like that. Effie couldn’t hide a frown. Natasha had valid points of her own. She could not go after her brother because the pack needed her - they needed herbs and food and of course, there were puppies to teach. Effie could tell the subject was over and done with, just by the stiffness that had settled over Natasha. She would not push it more than that, but she would not let it go, either. “I understand but I cannot let him go without trying, myself. I’ll rest a day and then make a trip to search for him - and herbs I have yet to collect.” The last bit was merely afterthought. She’d been meaning to roam further into the plains to collect the herbs that didn’t grow near the falls. Natasha was right - time was running out and they needed to focus on getting the pack ready for winter, but she could make time to sniff about for Clint while she was at it. It would be much harder without Natasha to help her pick up his scent, but she would try, nonetheless.

She had had hope that Clint, with what interest he had held in herbs, would have been willing to allow to learn what Effie knew. Perhaps it was a selfish want - wanting to bring Clint back. She wanted someone there she could pour all of her knowledge into. Someone who would remain long after her and eventually, hopefully, pass that knowledge down. Effie did not want all that she had learned to go to waste.

Her ears flicked once more when Natasha spoke up - a subject change, and a surprising one at that. Natasha spoke of Eyja and her speaking in regard to Effie - deciding they would like Effie to take the position of lead healer. There was plenty of praise in those words, commending Effie of her abilities and of her willingness to simply stick around. She couldn’t help but think the words also held disdain at her brother and any other wolves that had left. Effie offered a smile, a dip of her head. “I would be honored to be the Brotherhoods lead healer.” It was a title that would show exactly how hard she had worked in her life to learn all she could. And even while she knew others might know more than her, she would not turn it down. She would wear it with pride for as long as she was able.

May 18, 2018 09:33 PM — Post #14

Name Player
Natasha Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper profile

That wasn’t even a surprise to Natasha. Effie had been an unstoppable force almost from the moment she joined the pack, and she was decent enough to accept Natasha without trying to alter the fundamentals of who she was.

Nat would afford her the same.

“Than it’s settled. We can tell Eyja you accepted when we get back.” Natasha flashed a smile, genuine, if distracted.

Effie was right about one thing. Natasha did hold disdain - and no small amount of it - for wolves who abandoned the Firewing Brotherhood.

((Fade Nat unless Effie has anything more to talk about :)))

May 19, 2018 07:26 AM — Post #15

Showing page 1 of 1.

Please log in or register to reply to this thread.