Roleplay Forums | Map

pledging allegiance to a few common interests
[continuation] benny, vienna / full autumn / twilight / 60°F / light rain

Name Player
Morwen maiyev
Achievements (?)
1year 2mos 6mos 100posts anniversary1 artist profile

The pools looked no different once she’d returned. Their turquoise hue was the same; the way the stone wrapped itself around them to make a chamber in its chest hadn’t shifted at all. By all the power a wolf could have, they never seemed to leave this place any different than before. Even blood could be worn away. Thoughts, not so much, but the weather would try.

The rain had picked up some from the evening, and the din was louder from within the cavern, though it had yet to find them in there. Morwen had led her procession into its depths the way she typically came, wont to be as transparent as was comfortable. There were other, more secretive entry points—but she’d rather not have kids sneaking up on her all the time. The umber wolf came to a stop at the edge of the largest pool, gazing as they tiered down towards a view of the valley, cloaked in black.

“Here we are,” she said, voice lacking the flair it probably should’ve had. “First thing’s first: that—” Morwen gestured with her muzzle towards the furthest pool, ”—is a drop. Don’t go falling off of it, because it is deadly.” She considered weaving some horrifying narrative of how Jarius died, but decided against it. She directed her gaze to the two wolves. “Second: this place isn’t just yours, it’s shared by me, two other wolves, and now, both of you. We all like our space. Respect it, and we’ll respect yours.”

The woman paused, looking between their faces as though she were awaiting their reactions. Really, she was considering what else she could say.

May 15, 2018 11:02 AM

[ ignore ]
Vienna is currently Inactive. Activate? Inactive
Name Player
Vienna Bella

Vienna let her eyes trailed over the entire area, vaguely hearing what Morwen spoke about. She got the main points at least, and knew to stay away from the far pool. The new area was almost surreal to Vienna, dreamlike in its simplicity. Stone, water… That was about it. It wasn’t anything special, but according to Morwen, a few different wolves called it home.

It must be good for something then. Vienna nodded at Morwen when she finished, a silent agreement to giving everyone space. While she knew curiosity would cause her to meet the others as soon as she could, Vienna would still try her best to keep her distance.

She was broken out of her thoughts by the realization Benvolio was still by her, causing her to speak up. “I’ll do my best to give you all space, but right now…” Vienna looked at Morwen, then to Benvolio with worry evident in her eyes. He didn’t seem to be doing all that great while they were walking, and she was eager to get him fixed up and learn how to do it in case something like this happened again.

May 15, 2018 01:31 PM — Post #1

[ permalink ]   [ ignore ]
Name Player
Benvolio Nym Matti
Achievements (?)
2mos profile

Benny had hobbled his way up the mountainside with the two woman. Normally, a chance to race around in the mountains with two lovely ladies would have thrilled him, but his aching him and his awkward three-legged hobble had really overshadowed anything good about the situation.

He was glad to be able to limp along beside Vienna. He had flashed little glances towards her, admiring the young woman. She was small, and pretty, and friendly, and all sorts of other things Benny liked in his friends. For all that a porcupine injury was not pleasant, his second time in this valley was still, somehow, proving better. He’d already met two nice wolves who had helped him and now taken him into a place that was almost like a home. He’d all but given up on his sister. Wherever she was was too far his him to find, and he had tried so hard to find her. It meant he needed a new home now, a replacement Perdita to fill his life with.

The bigger, dark woman was giving a little lecture about their home. His exhaustion and pain had put Benny onto what was likely some of his best behavior ever, but he figured he could manage not to fall off a cliff and die - he had grown up in the mountains after all. Plus, he was good at doing what pretty woman wanted him to do.

“Yeah-huh, I’m just gonna…” Benny trailed off and plopped unceremoniously into a sitting position, carefully holding his right front leg off the ground, paw curled around a little to try to protect it. He sat for a moment, letting the rain drip on him, he was just glad to be done walking.

May 15, 2018 09:58 PM — Post #2

Name Player
Morwen maiyev
Achievements (?)

They had seemed to listen well enough. Once she had finished speaking, Morwen sized the two of them up for a moment longer before she turned back towards the cavern’s entrance. She was satisfied with that for now. If anything else came along, she’d mention it then. She knew they would smile and nod to anything she told them, too, if it meant a chance to freeload. Time is what would determine their worth.

“I’m going to get some herbs,” she told Benny. “This is probably pretty obvious, but you shouldn’t be outside. So stay here. Don’t leave unless there’s a good reason.” Morwen eyed his wound again momentarily before turning away. She’d never seen so many punctures all in one place, and pondered what may have caused it. The umber wolf stepped up to the craggy tunnel, and slipped into it, weaving through to the mountains once more. She hoped Lorenzo didn’t show up before she could explain herself.

Come to think of it, she hadn’t smelled, let alone seen, the man in a while.

Morwen pursed her lips thoughtfully as she parted from the cover of the springs, and began her descent into the pass.

| skippable, returning in 3 rounds.

May 16, 2018 01:19 PM — Post #3

Name Player
Vienna Bella

Vienna had almost laughed as Benvolio flopped down, visibly done with everything for the time being. She managed to stop herself with only a slight snicker, her body language showing nothing but joy.

She debated internally as to whether or not she should follow Morwen, more out of curiosity than anything, but decided she was best off keeping Benvolio company. It wasn’t like he could explore the area or anything while they were gone, and she didn’t want to leave him alone in this new place. So, she just watched as Morwen slipped away.

Sitting across from Benvolio, she tried to strike up some sort of conversation. Wanting to learn more about this wolf and things he ha do previously brought to light, Vienna started with what she assumed to be the obvious topics.

“I was wondering… How did you manage to get so pricked by so many quills? Also,” The small girl hesitated for a second, softening her voice. “You mentioned… You were looking for your sister?”

May 16, 2018 04:29 PM — Post #4

Name Player
Benvolio Nym Matti
Achievements (?)
2mos profile

Benny’s eyes focused on his poor paw. Practically his whole leg hurt, but on his paw pad where the fur didn’t cover anything he could see it was red and swollen and uncomfortable. He glanced up again when she was talking to him but just gave a nod in response. He didn’t know where he could possibly go or what he could do anyway. He looked at his poor paw again. Benny was already feeling sorry for himself for this one.

The other girls voice brought his eyes up again. Maybe he’d just look at her instead. His eyes softened and his lips pulled out of their frown, just a little.

“Mmmm, a porcupine.” Did she know what a porcupine was? Everyone knew that right? “They’re little prickly things, slow, and fat, but sharp. I’ve hunted ‘em before, but this one got me. I ate him though, so he got what he had coming too.” Benny huffed, annoyed, but still at least feeling full from that damned porcupine.

Benny cocked his head at the question about his sister. He was surprised the girl had really even listened or wanted to know. Everyone else just said they didn’t know Perdy and then talked about other things. “Her name is Perdita, Perdy. We got separated in the spring, I’ve been looking for her ever since. She looks pretty much like me, timber, little?” He raised his eyebrows hopefully, wishing the girl to tell him that she did know. “Do you have a family, where’d you come from?” He didn’t think of his questions as blunt though they likely were. It was cheering him some to have someone to talk to. His tail brushed the ground behind him.

May 16, 2018 08:38 PM — Post #5

Name Player
Vienna Bella

Vienna had been intrigued when Benvolio explained what a porcupine was. Her mother had warned her a seemingly long time ago to avoid moving prickly objects at all costs. She hadn’t realised that the objects her mother read mentioned were really food! Although, she probably would try to hunt one herself. Looking at Benvolio, they weren’t worth it.

She also listened carefully when Benvolio explained more about his sister. He seemed hopeful, almost like he was pleasing with Vienna to know something. Sadly, she didn’t. “She seems like a nice wolf if you’ve been looking so long for her, but I can’t say I’ve met her… Sorry.”

Asking about her family and birthplace was expected, but still made Vienna’s ears droop a little. “I was born to pack less parents in an area with very few reliable food sources. I had one sibling, a brother, who was stillborn. Mother told me I whined at him for days to try and wake him… My parents both died during our travel, trying to find food for us… That was a few months ago.”

Telling Benvolio brought the memory back at a violent speed, dizzying her in its intensity. Her parents teaching her, her brother’s scent, finding her parents’ bodies, coated in blood. It wasn’t unlike Benvolio shoulder, now that she thought about it. Disgust clouded her mind now,  and all she wanted was to forget. While she was nearing adulthood, Vienna still couldn’t grasp the concept of moving on. Not yet at least.

Suddenly, Vienna blurted an almost startled question before ducking her head down in embarrassment. “Would you like help cleaning that up a bit”

May 17, 2018 04:39 PM — Post #6

Name Player
Benvolio Nym Matti
Achievements (?)
2mos profile

Benny nodded, feeling a strange combination of enthusiasm to speak about his sister mixed with the melancholy of realizing he might not ever see her again. “Yeah, she was the best sister…” He missed her, a lot. Of course this girl didn’t know about her though. Benny sighed.

Vienna seemed as dejected as Benny was about her lack of family. His own ears drooped a little alongside hers and a quiet whine escaped him in sympathy. At least she knew where her family was, dead, granted, but she knew. Benny wondered how old she was exactly, if she really knew how to live on her own.

Her sudden question made him flick his gaze up to blink at her for a moment. Guess she didn’t want to talk about her family anymore. “Uhmmm, sure, yeah, that’d be great.” He glanced at his paw and leg again. It didn’t look so good, but that was why the other woman had gone to get herbs right, to fix everything? He held his limb out towards the girl though, she was offering to help after all, and Benny didn’t mind some extra attention.

May 22, 2018 07:57 PM — Post #7

Name Player
Morwen maiyev
Achievements (?)

(( foregoing my original 3 rounds statement to keep this thread moving :p ))

Autumn was an ample test of patience when it came time to forage. She’d needed beebalm and lavender for Benny’s wound, and, though they were both plentiful and easy to identify in the year’s former half, wilted flowers were much harder to distinguish. She spent some time searching the slopes for the lavender first, finding a bush of it at the bottom of the pass not far from a small pool. It had hardly any ripe flowers left to spare, and Morwen promptly took the few that remained.

Then came the beebalm, which proved more of a proper hunt. While easy to distinguish during summer, its red flowers had long since died off, leaving only the stalk and leaves behind. She hadn’t seen any while traversing the mountain’s cradle, and still none as she veered closer to the lake. Preferring to avoid Hellmaw’s territory, she finally gave up, and turned on her way back home. It wasn’t until she had made her way to the cavern’s entrance, and paused at the craggy shale archway that she spotted the herb, sitting pretty in a niche between Moonglade and the mountainside.

What luck. Morwen dug the stalk out at the root, and carried it with the lavender within.

When she came across the chamber’s threshold, she saw that the young wolves were still where she’d left them, sitting amidst the vapors. She let out a muffled boof to alert them to her presence before closing the gap that remained, and setting the herbs between them.

“Chew up a leaf of this—” she gestured to the stalk of beebalm, ”—and the flowers from this—” then to the lavender, ”—and spread the paste over your wounds. Try to use it sparingly, because with autumn here, there won’t be any left soon, and we don’t have a cache.” Perhaps she should fix that next season. If their numbers were to grow, they could certainly use it. “Don’t use so much that it sloughs off of your leg while you’re moving around. Again, we don’t wanna waste it.”

Jun 01, 2018 08:02 PM — Post #8

Name Player
Benvolio Nym Matti
Achievements (?)
2mos profile

Before Vienna had responded to his proffered paw a, a bark had him turning his head to spot Morwen coming back to them. She was carrying things, nothing that Benny recognized, but then he didn’t expect to.

She placed the things down and provided clear instructions for him. Even feeling exhausted and in pain, Benny focused his attention dutifully upon her. He was good at listening, good at obeying what pretty wolves wanted him to do. It was extra special because she was helping him. She was being nice to him, and no one had been nice to Benny in a long time. He wouldn’t screw this up.

He nodded quickly, swallowing but reaching out for the herbs she had offered and licking them up quickly enough. She had said to chew, and then put on his leg, he wasn’t supposed to eat them. He chewed for a few minutes, feeling it all turn to mush in his mouth before he finally twisted around and practically drooled the wet paste back on his leg. His tongue pressed it all around, his mind singly focused on doing what she had told him to do correctly.

Wet gunk spread out as best he could, he looked back to Morwen, a hopeful - if tired - expression on his face. Had he done it right? Please tell him he had done it right. “I couldn’t get a few spots…” He glanced back at his leg, the same spots where Vienna had had to pull the quills out, he hadn’t been able to fully cover with the herbs.

Jun 02, 2018 10:17 AM — Post #9

Name Player
Morwen maiyev
Achievements (?)

(( i’m not sure if you want to wait for a reply from vienna, matti, or just close this thread, but i’m ready to archive whenever you are :D ))

Benny was quick to follow her orders. A wise decision, she deemed it, much less by virtue of heeding his elders, and more for the sake of his health. While he may have healed on his own, it would’ve been a painful process without the herbs, and an additional risk of festering.

“I’ll help you,” Morwen proclaimed, stepping closer to nose the salve over the places he’d struggled to reach. She made a point to breathe through her mouth as she did, so as not to snort up the substance. She highly doubted that would feel very pleasant.

After several moments of nudging around his leg, she took a step back. “That’ll do it, I think.”</b> Morwen looked over the wound with satisfaction. She’d spread it a bit thinner in hopes that less of it would ooze off of him. She had a fair amount of confidence that the concoction would do its job, despite her novice skill with medicines.

“If you two’re alright now, I’d like to get some rest. You’re both welcome to sleep in the cavern.” She then turned towards her alcove before pausing. “I wouldn’t recommend falling asleep in the pools, though. Too long’ll make your skin waterlogged.” She’d made the mistake of doing that once before; waking up that morning was not a good time.

With that said, the umber woman proceeded to her place in the caves, rounding a line of stalagmites to slip out of sight. She could be heard lying down over the flakes of stone, shifting for a few moments before finally stilling.

| exit morwen.

Jun 05, 2018 06:17 PM — Post #10

Showing page 1 of 1.

Please log in or register to reply to this thread.