Roleplay Forums | Map

the ship of pills and needed things
early winter, night, cloudy; with paige and esme

Name Player
Icarus Dusk Madison

Icarus led the way fastidiously through the fields, north toward the woods - and through the trees, he occasionally stopped to point out interesting tidbits of the woods he had gathered in all the time he spent living there. It was getting later than he had planned to be out, though, so once they neared the slope ascending into the labyrinth, he hastened his pace until they reached the borders. It was there he had paused to look back at them, waiting to give them a chance to recover from the journey if they needed to.

“Beyond these borders lies the labyrinth and the Twilight Vanguard. Most of the pack will be asleep at this point, so if you need to rest, I’d be happy to find you two a den. I think a tour in the daylight would be better anyway,” he said, albeit rather excitedly, because he had managed to draw not just one wolf, but two toward his territory as hopeful prospects. Icarus waited, tail swishing comfortably behind him as the smell of the Vanguard flooded his nose.

Mostly his scent - but there were smells of his packmates, too. The crisp, scent-laden air certainly did make him feel at home.

Jun 13, 2018 04:41 PM

[ ignore ]
Name Player
Esme Slash-GNR

Esme followed behind Icarus. Every time he pointed something out, she would perk her ears and listen intently. It was the most polite thing she could do at the moment. Besides, she was here to learn as well.

The girl nodded and smiled as he spoke about the forest and his home. However, her mind still wandered to Tomas. She hoped he was ok and wasn’t worried about her. Esme had decided before she left that she would return to tell Tomas of her plan.

Tomorrow seemed like a good day to begin her journey back to the mountains. The woman imagine e the dark man would have had enough time to make his decision about the other, strange woman.

“That would be very kind of you, thank you Icarus,” she replied with a soft smile.

Jun 13, 2018 04:49 PM — Post #1

[ permalink ]   [ ignore ]
Name Player
Paige Hayle Jeames

[Okay so I got noooo more energy to write but Paige is here and let’s assume she’s simply listening and looking around the Labyrinth in silence, this round!]

Jun 13, 2018 04:51 PM — Post #2

Name Player
Icarus Dusk Madison

Icarus countered her soft smile with a wide, toothy grin. For it being the middle of the night, he certainly felt energetic. Whatever exhaustion had plagued him earlier was set aside in favor of excitement for his find. He was still running off the buzz of his playful meeting with Esme, but he had a feeling that the moment he was on his own, he’d probably crash. It had been a pretty busy day, after all.

The Chief set off again, passing over the scent markers and entering the labyrinth, its gargantuan trees yawning and writhing around them. “Do you two have a preference? We got, lets see… dens in the roots, dens in the dirt, dens tucked into little ridges, dens with rocks…” he rambled in an attempt to extend his welcome to them.

He wasn’t trying too hard, was he? Maybe he should sober up a little. Everyone expected a leader to be mature and responsible and serious. He pursed his lips, glancing over at the sisters again.

“I’m assuming you’d want to share one, but let me know if that’s not the case,” he appended carefully.

Jun 13, 2018 05:00 PM — Post #3

Name Player
Esme Slash-GNR

Head whipped around as the Chief began to offer different types of dens. The descriptions were funny to Esme, and she showed this by beginning to giggle. However, she bit her tongue and tried to suck down the laughter.

The forest apparently had different style dens. “I’m perfectly fine with any type of den, as long as Paige and I can both fit into it,” she replied as she looked up at Icarus.

However, her eyes then turned to Paige to see what she wanted. She did want to den with Esme, right?

Jun 13, 2018 05:06 PM — Post #4

Name Player
Ross Thorn Jill

His sleep schedule had been screwed since the night he’d spent awake, hunting for Epidemic. The sun had retreated beyond the horizon hours ago, but Ross couldn’t find it in himself to settle down.

He turned his restless energy toward his duties—examining the caches and doing a quick patrol around the labyrinth’s southwest border. Neither were particularly far from his den, which made his treks short but, at least in his mind, worthwhile.

He was on his way back to his den, thinking the exercise would have quieted his nerves some, when he caught the Chief’s scent. He wasn’t alone, either. Two unfamiliar wolves, apparently, were mingling with Icarus.

Ross’ ears stood a little higher atop his head. Guests, maybe? Icarus seemed to know a lot of wolves in the valley, which was really to be expected. He’d grown up here, after all.

Ross released a boof, one low enough hopefully not to disturb any slumbering residents of the labyrinth, and turned to stroll along a curving path that would eventually bring him to where the others were.

arriving next round.

Jun 13, 2018 08:54 PM — Post #5

Name Player
Paige Hayle Jeames

Paige looked at Icarus as the male started listing off all the types of dens they had. Hmmmm, a lot of choice, and not really an easy choice to make. She looked at Esme for a moment, curious about what her sister had in mind. Esme easily spoke her mind, and Paige was good with whatever her sister decided on. ’’Same for me; the den doesn’t really matter.’’ she said, and smiled at Esme. ’’Just as long as it’s big enough for the both of us.’’

Esme and Paige had been together with the two of them for so long… Paige could not consider a life without her sister, or sleeping in a place alone. They always snuggled up at night, wherever they were. Paige had realized she slept better with her sister by her side, anyway. Without Esme to keep her company, Paige tended to grow restless.

Paige’s ears flicked at the sound of a woof coming from within the territory, and she looked up, curious. Sounded like someone was on their way. Her eyes shifted to Icarus, then back to Esme. Okay, Paige. Be a social butterfly.

Social butterfly.

Jun 14, 2018 06:11 AM — Post #6

Name Player
Icarus Dusk Madison

Icarus nodded at their unanimous answer. It didn’t matter which type of den - so he would just try to find them the biggest one he could think of so it comfortably fit both of them. Maybe he would stow them away in his mother’s old den - it had been enough for her and three growing pups, after all.

He was preparing to turn down that way when a bark caught his attention. Wriggling his nose, Icarus inhaled the wafting scent of his friend and squinted through the darkness, but couldn’t see him quite yet. He did, however, see Paige’s quicj glance.

“Ah, must be one of our night owls,” he said wisely, pausing in his pace to roll his shoulders back, a posture that promised there was nothing to be worried about. Then he raised his head, uttering a bark in response, and waited.

Jun 14, 2018 12:01 PM — Post #7

Name Player
Esme Slash-GNR

It was the scent that caught her attention first. Then came a bark that signaled an in coming wolf. Icarus didn’t seem worried, and he confirmed this by describing the wolf approaching. Did all the members of this pack stay up late?

Esme turned her blue eyes towards the rustling brush. She side stepped slightly closer to Paige, even though Icarus confirmed the stranger was alright.

Jun 14, 2018 12:05 PM — Post #8

Name Player
Ross Thorn Jill

Icarus’ bark sounded cordial enough, leaving Ross to think that the two wolves he was with, whoever they might have been, weren’t a threat. He approached the gathering amicably, which in his case might have seemed a little unsociable—head low and ears splayed, his tail hanging limp at his hocks.

He realized, just before coming into view, the scents he’d smelled belonged to females. He stuffed down the urge to roll his eye. Why was Icarus always bringing ladies back to the labyrinth? And how? First Opal, then Epidemic, then Braith and Darcian and Cleo and who knew who else. What a womanizer, he thought teasingly.

The trees gave way eventually, and Ross stepped into the gathering. His eye found Icarus first before roaming to the strangers. Their appearances contrasted with one another, one being light and the other dark, but the shared dorsal stripe across their backs and pale undersides led him to think that perhaps they were related.

They also… looked a little nervous.

He had half a mind to wonder if their apprehension was a response to the sight of him. He’d grown used to operating with only half his vision, but forgetting how jarring his scarred face and missing eye might have looked to strangers was all too easy.

“Evening,” he rumbled anyway, dipping his head. His attention shifted between the three others, wondering if details regarding their visit would be provided. It looked as if they were heading toward someplace in particular, or at least farther into the labyrinth.

Jun 14, 2018 12:58 PM — Post #9

[ Edited: Jun 14, 2018 01:07 PM by Ross ]
Name Player
Paige Hayle Jeames

Icarus spoke, and Paige sent him a confused little frown. Was he being serious or joking around? She could not really tell. Esme came to stand closer to her, and Paige did not mind that. In fact, she found comfort in her sister being closer.

A male appeared, dark furred, with a brown hint to his coat. Surely a pretty coat! However, he had only one eye, and upon seeing his scarred face, Paige felt a little sorry for him. But of course, she did not let that show. His remaining eye was a pretty golden color. If he had been a female, Paige would probably have been swooning all over him.

But, she was not. Because he was male. Too bad, though.

’’Good evening.’’ she responded to his greeting, finding her smile again. She found strength in having Esme with her. ’’I’m Paige, and this is my sister Esme. We were looking for a place to stay, and met Icarus who told us about the Vanguard.’’

And so far, it looked good.

Paige wasn’t sure yet though, if they just wanted to stay for winter, or longer…

Jun 14, 2018 02:09 PM — Post #10

Name Player
Icarus Dusk Madison

Icarus had been looking between the sisters as he awaited Ross’ arrival, simply because he couldn’t really see his friend through the darkness. Noting Paige’s frown, Icarus countered it with a grin (probably because he didn’t know what else to do at that point). Thankfully, Ross arrived before long.

Paige was quick to explain what they were doing here and Icarus nodded, backing up her claim. “I’d been checking for herds in the prairie south of the woods when I came across Esme, and then Paige,” he added, gesturing to each of the sisters in turn. “Figured they wouldn’t mind a tour once the sun comes up, so I invited them to stay the night in a den.”

He adjusted his body to look between the sisters again. “Ladies, this is Ross, the Vanguard’s Quartermaster. He tends the caches, minds the borders, and does some hunting of his own to make sure we’re well stocked - I guess he does a little bit of everything,” Icarus chuckled behind sealed lips. “As you can see, our borders are well kept no matter the time of day.”

Jun 14, 2018 02:19 PM — Post #11

Name Player
Esme Slash-GNR

Esme was slightly nervous at the approaching male. Once he arrived, the girl was immediately captivated by his features. He was missing and eye and had scars all along his face. It looked pretty painful.

The tawny female broke away from Paige and took a couple of steps towards the darker boy. She peered up at him with Crystal eyes. Awe was written all over her face. Then her lips broke into an enthused smile.

“Cool scars! I… I’m missing a leg,” she replied slightly shy, but the tawny girl turned to show her missing appendage. Look! They already had something in common!

Jun 14, 2018 02:24 PM — Post #12

Name Player
Ross Thorn Jill

The first to respond was the dark-furred female—Paige, she was called. She provided answers to the questions he hadn’t spoken, detailing that she and her sister had been looking for a place to stay when they’d come across Icarus.

That was all fine and great, yeah, but… her voice. Holy shit. Ross’ ears stood a little taller. It didn’t occur to him that he’d stopped blinking or breathing. There were things he suddenly began to notice about her. Her slender snout, and above it, two pale eyes framed by asymmetrical—mesmerizing—markings.

Was Icarus saying something? If he was, it sounded an awful lot like the double-thump of a heartbeat, because that’s all he heard.

Up until a sweet—different—voice caught his attention.

Ross’ eye snapped to the pale she-wolf, Esme. She had rather quickly asserted herself before him, masking her interest in his mauled face in absolutely no way. Ross backpedaled, leaning away from her in the process. Her fascination with his face wasn’t as uncomfortable as her proximity, because, like… hell. He never got this close to girls.

What the fuck was this season doing to wolves. To him.

His ears splayed, silently conveying his discomfort, but they flicked forward when Esme revealed what he’d failed to notice upon his approach. She was missing the entire lower half of her leg. The sight veritably punched him in the gut, and he huffed out an involuntary, wobbly sigh. “Holy shit.”

UH. He hadn’t meant to say that. Cringe. His gaze darted between Paige and Icarus, before finally coming to rest on Esme, decidedly less frantic.

“I mean, uh. That, aah… looks painful.” Swallowing around the lump in his throat, he quickly reverted the subject. “So you’re looking for a den?”

Jun 14, 2018 02:45 PM — Post #13

Name Player
Paige Hayle Jeames

Quartermaster, Icarus said, and Paige wondered what that meant, as in job description. Icarus said it was a little bit of everything. Interesting, she believed. She was happy to see Esme was so excited. It looked like she had something in common with him; wounds and scars. She showed off her leg, and Paige couldn’t hep but chuckle at Esme’s display, and Ross’ confused reaction.

Looking for a den, though?

’’Yeah, we are. One my sister and I can share, preferably.’’ she commented on Ross’ question, smiling.

Jun 14, 2018 02:54 PM — Post #14

Name Player
Icarus Dusk Madison

Esme made a beeline for Ross. Needless to say, it startled Icarus, who could only stand and stare, wide-eyed, as she sidled right up to him and pointed out that they were both missing parts of themselves. He almost wanted to rush in and stop Esme, pull her away before she did anything to annoy Ross - because let’s be real, Ross was pretty easy to annoy - but by the time he wrapped his head around the situation, Ross had already uttered his “Holy shit” and seemed substantially baffled.

Dens. Dens. Yeah, lets talk about dens.

Icarus cleared his throat and stepped closer, tail waving with an invitation for Esme to rejoin his side. “I was thinking of taking them to my mom’s old den,” he said. “It would be big enough for both of them.”

And with that, he started off in another jog, glancing back at his companions to ensure they were following.

“Ross, how are the caches, by the way?” asked Icarus.

Jun 14, 2018 03:56 PM — Post #15

Showing page 1 of 2.

Please log in or register to reply to this thread.