Roleplay Forums | Map

the place between sleeping and awake
early spring, dusk, light snow; where the creek forks

Holo is currently Inactive. Activate? Inactive
Name Player
Holo Madison

(takes place about a day after this thread)

Wake up. Wake up. Run. Stop. Sleep. Wake up. Run.

Holo lost track of the days long ago. Winter was supposed to have ended, but the clouds overhead were bleak and grey and snowing again. Had he skipped an entire year and found himself back at the beginning of it? What sparse grasses sprouted on the bank of the river were thin and frail, dry and yellow, but it was cold, and it was desert, and he thought it was most definitely fall. How many times had he come back to this creek, unable to surpass the obstacle of its split?

He stood on the edge, huddled into himself, eying the fork wearily. His eyelids fluttered with the temptation of sleep. But he was so hungry. Maybe. Food. At the end of one of these paths. But he didn’t know which one; why couldn’t his master have just told him? Frustration, or desperation. Motivated his paws. He lifted again and angled his body away from the creek.

It was some forsaken pattern. Come to the creek. Follow it until it fragmented. Circle himself until uncertainties drove him away. And then wander the wasteland for another day before thirst brought him back here. Repeat. Repeat. He was lost. Where was the desert yearling? She knew the way.

The boy turned again. Look one way down the river, then the other. Which. Way. Can’t. I don’t know. Nobody told me. What to do.

Sorrow welled in his throat and he trembled.

Sep 20, 2018 01:30 PM

[ ignore ]
Sunkissed is currently Inactive. Activate? Inactive
Name Player
Sunkissed Aurora

Sunny had followed the creek for some time. It was her only source of water and food. Many desert creatures came to the creek’s edge to drink, or to nibble on the dead grasses that laid along the edges. Lately, it had been mice for snacks, though a few days ago she had found a sickly antelope. Sunkissed hadn’t caught it, but at least she knew larger prey lived in the harsh desert.

Soon, she spotted a very light wolf, lighter than her. It seemed like it was confused, lost maybe? It stopped it’s movement and looked down split up ahead. Which way was the right way? Sunny didn’t know, and clearly neither did this other wolf. Still, she approached it, letting out a gruff woof to alert him of her arrival.

“You know where you’re headed?” She inquired once she had come closer. This dude was skinny! Was it even possible to be that skinny? He needed to put on some weight.

Sep 20, 2018 11:20 PM — Post #1

[ permalink ]   [ ignore ]
Name Player
Roxy King Sabrina Staff
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Water.

Ohmygodshe’dfoundwater.

If she wasn’t so damn dried out, Roxy might’ve started running toward the creek. But, alas, she wasn’t really feeling capable of running at this point. She settled for a weird, half-trot.

Her ears picked up on voices. There were wolves here?

Bonus!

She quickly pinpointed the source, but… ugh. They were so far. Roxy angled herself toward the pair of them, but she wanted to get water first. That was motivation enough for her to pick up the pace once more, dry mouth or not.

She reached the creek and, keeping her eyes on the pair to make sure they didn’t go anywhere, lapped up some water. It was cold at least, but damn, it tasted awful.

She started walking toward the group again, heading along the creek’s path. “Hey, you guys!” she called. Y’know, so they knew she was coming.

//Arriving next round!

Sep 21, 2018 01:44 PM — Post #2

Name Player
Holo Madison

South. West. Each tongue of the creek lapped ingenuously at the sky, the scattering of snowflakes that blew off the mountain tops and pirouetted around his head, cutting the horizon with brown water. His chest felt tight with frustrating, and with it came fatigue gnawing on the edges of his brain. He wished he could just. Close his eyes. And wake up to the answer.

A woof. Whatever sleep threatened to carry him away was dismissed at the noise. Holo immediately stiffened and whirled around, dark eyes latching onto the figure that had padded up beyond his notice. Golden fur, female, not the Desert Yearling, but asking questions all the same.

His breath caught in his throat. You know where you’re headed? No, for heaven’s sake, no, Holo didn’t know anything. He wanted to cry and run again, for what reason? He didn’t know. It was the first impulse that hit him, but his legs were immovable pillars. He shrank immediately to the ground and stared at her, jaw open like he was trying to summon his voice.

“N-n-n-” he wibbled, unable to complete even one word.

And then came a second voice. Holo dreadfully stared past the golden one to the wolf beyond. White, like him. And all the breath slithered out of his lungs, leaving him gaping, paralyzed. He should have just left again.

Sep 21, 2018 01:45 PM — Post #3

[ Edited: Sep 21, 2018 01:49 PM by Holo ]
Name Player
Ruby Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Snow in the desert, now there was something that didn’t happen back home. Ruby had been tracking the skinny, fluffy kid she’d only glimpsed in the mess with Lou and the thieving male. She’s asked Darienne to sit this one out, but she figured she would be lurking somewhere behind her. And… urgh, okay. She couldn’t just scent Fluffy up ahead. Two more strangers. Why the hell so many wolves were coming through the desert she didn’t know, but hopefully with some directions she could restore her precious peace.

She’d been here all of three-quarters of a moon and she’d already done more socializing than the entire rest of the valley. That one’s called irony, Rubs.

She closed in, nose down, able to hear voices but not what they were saying. 

((Arriving next round))

Sep 21, 2018 05:40 PM — Post #4

Name Player
Sunkissed Aurora

Sunkissed watched the stranger as he sunk down before her, seeming to be scared. She liked to poke fun at everyone, but this poor guy couldn’t even get out a single answer, let alone tell her why he was so scared.

“Hey… I’m not gonna hurt you okay? You’re fine.” She said in a soft toned voice, one she would use with a pup. However, it seemed another wolf was approaching. “Goddamnit…” Sunny cursed, as she spied yet another wolf. 3 wolves in the desert and all seemed to have wandered into the same place at the same time.

“Hey listen kiddo, whatever happens, just stay behind me and I’ll keep ya safe.” She told the younger. Maybe he was lost or something. Whatever it was, it was clear he needed help.

Sep 23, 2018 03:27 PM — Post #5

Name Player
Roxy King Sabrina Staff
Achievements (?)
None yet!

She’d picked up a lope by the time she reached the two, completely forgetting about her dry mouth or totally exhausted legs at the promise of some juicy social interaction.

But, hey, what gives! None of the two wolves looked overly happy to see her. She straightened up, her brows furrowing, as she came to a stop before them. “Hey, what’s goin’ on here? Somethin’ wrong?”

It was then that she spotted a flash of red fur approaching. Oohhh, she got it now. These two were in trouble or something! She gestured toward the approaching woman with her muzzle. “Issit that guy, givin’ you trouble?”

She’d totally fuck him up if he was. Roxy didn’t care. The light-furred dude looked pretty damn upset.

Sep 23, 2018 11:49 PM — Post #6

Name Player
Holo Madison

His body. Was ice. And fire all at once. Yes, that was something he’d felt before. In those rare few moments when his master had not been with him. When some threat lurked beyond the fringe of his awareness. Waiting. Or when. He’d been seen.

Coal eyes darted between the females, but the proximity of the golden one earned Holo’s final attention. He nearly flinched away when she started to speak again, his body rigid and nerves snapping like electricity - only to hear the softness of her voice and inherently want to melt into a puddle at her paws. Wasn’t going to hurt him. Didn’t matter. Who was she?

Stay behind me and I’ll keep ya safe.

Now. That was. Something he could do.

Holo swallowed and nodded swiftly, but he didn’t move otherwise. His gaze slid to the white wolf in her approach, equally concerned it seemed, only to pin the blame for his distress on some other guy, and Holo’s eyes flew open wide to search for the perpetrator. He wouldn’t have even noticed her if not for the white wolf - but there was the red one, the one he’d seen before, with the coyote. His hackles lifted with mounting panic. The urge to run bit at his feet.

But with no other instruction, he could only inch closer to the golden female, the one who’d spoken softly, and hope that she would dissuade the others from breaching his safe space.

Sep 24, 2018 09:20 PM — Post #7

Name Player
Ruby Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Well, awfully damn crowded for a deserted desert Ruby was supposed to be chilling for in solitary except for Darienne. The red-furred woman didn’t realize it was her being perceived as the threat. Just that something had everybody worked up, from the looks of things.

“What, that big dark guy with the white belly cause trouble here too?” Ruby’s green gaze went from one wolf to the next, checking for injuries. Surely that fool Loueska could patch up anybody who was hurt. She owed Ruby, even if her temper had gotten the better of her, she’d still saved her scrawny ass. But there seemed to be no wounds, no scent of blood in the air.

“Don’t worry, my friend and I got rid of him. We live here, so we don’t want wolves like him causing trouble. Now, anyone need directions to the hills?” She asked briskly, pricking her ears expectantly. She had to force herself to make the offer, because she sure as hell hoped that the trio didn’t need her to hold their paws the whole way. Two was two many wolves for Ruby most of the time. Four would be a lot to tolerate for any longer than a few minutes.

Sep 25, 2018 06:41 AM — Post #8

Name Player
Sunkissed Aurora

Sunkissed waited, whispering to the other lady. “No clue yet. But this poor kid is terrified. Something’s wrong. I wanna help him.” She took a step closer to the younger male as the new stranger approached.

“Listen lady, ain’t nobody here causing trouble, except maybe you.” Sunny replied shortly, tense as can be. Clearly, the other female had no clue what was going on, this the red-furred female was causing the kid to be anxious. So, she should leave.

Sep 25, 2018 06:46 PM — Post #9

Name Player
Roxy King Sabrina Staff
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Roxy nodded gravely at the orange-furred woman’s words. Very serious matters, okay. She could be serious.

For a little.

“I’ll help too,” she whispered back. As the other wolf approached, Roxy realized it was a female, not a male as she’d assumed. Oops.

Daaaamn, this was all getting juicy. Were all the wolves around here blunt like that? Roxy furrowed her brows, trying to look threatening, and nodded along with the orangey girl’s words. “Yeah! We just want everyone to get along,” she chimed in.

She wondered what the weird red lady did to people that made the skinny boy so scared of her.

Sep 26, 2018 09:01 PM — Post #10

Name Player
Ruby Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
None yet!

((3day skip on Holo, jump back in whenever Madison))

Ruby’s brow went straight up, and she fought to keep her temper. What the hell sort of moron decided somebody offering to help them out of the desert was causing trouble? Since the creamy wolf was clearly stupid, she’d have to spell this out. So later on she didn’t have to look for her alone and beat it into her. “Excuse me? My friend and I guide people out of this desert. I came here to check on that kid.” She nodded to the young male. “Yesterday some big bastard was here threatening people and scared him off.”

Then the light girl stated she just wanted people to get along. Ruby still wasn’t clued in. What did ‘Does anybody need directions’ sound like to these wolves?

Sep 30, 2018 06:37 AM — Post #11

Name Player
Roxy King Sabrina Staff
Achievements (?)
None yet!

//Three-day skip on Sunkissed. Feel free to join in whenever, Aurora!

Her ears rotated back at the Red Girl’s words. Okay, maybe she wasn’t the problem, but her tone wasn’t helping anything. She huffed. “Fine,” she said, “But be a lil nicer, okay? Whatever’s got this dude scared did a helluva good job.” As if emphasis was needed, Roxy motioned behind her toward the thin boy.

Oct 02, 2018 10:31 PM — Post #12

Name Player
Ruby Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
None yet!

What the hell? Seriously, the dumb white wolf got all huffy and had the audacity to tell her to be nicer. Did this collection of idiots not want to get out of the desert or something? Ruby also had a strong urge to somehow drop the white one in the middle of the constant territory squabbles from her old desert so she could experience wolves actually not being nice.

She told herself to keep her temper. The sooner these idiots got the hell out of the desert the sooner they wouldn’t be around to annoy her.

“Look, I don’t know what anybody’s problem with me personally here is. Like I said, I’m only here to offer directions, and make sure yesterday’s brute hasn’t been causing more trouble.” She relayed in a patient tone. She figured she’d just have to treat all of them like children, repeating her points until they actually understood them.

“If any of you need food, I can explain how to hunt in deserts, or the fastest way out if you prefer not to stick around.”

Oct 03, 2018 05:04 AM — Post #13

Name Player
Holo Madison

A cloud of voices lifted up over him. Holo inched back, his gaze shifting between all three females that had at once collided on the site of his indecision. It must have been a sign, to receive not one but three visitors within such a tight time frame, but Holo didn’t know how to interpret it. A good sign? A bad sign? Evidence that he may find the right path to take, or that one of them would lead him?

So far, the golden woman was the only one who had instructed him. He listened to the aggravated exchange between the other two and ducked his head, shivering. How awful that they should be arguing. For what reason? He didn’t. Know.

He just wished. Someone would. Tell him what to do.

Oct 03, 2018 03:03 PM — Post #14

Name Player
Roxy King Sabrina Staff
Achievements (?)
None yet!

She didn’t mean to, but Roxy was going to make the situation about a thousand times worse. She knitted her brows together and frowned. “Look, girlie,” she said softly (probably a bit patronizingly, too), “I get what you’re tryin’ to do, but you’ve just got that tone in your voice. Let’s just all be friends here and start over, okay?”

There. She was a goddess of social interaction and de-escalating things. Of course the red girl would recognize her errors and agree to kiss and make up. It only made sense.

Oct 03, 2018 11:15 PM — Post #15

Showing page 1 of 2.

Please log in or register to reply to this thread.