Roleplay Forums | Map

Short leash and a short fuse don’t match
Sandstone gorge | early spring | Afternoon | Cloudy

Name Player
Ruby Chris Staff

Ruby and Darienne were supposed to be hunting pronghorn, making sure they had enough food for a while, which could be difficult in a desert. But Ruby had been in a solitary, brooding mood for the past few days, and keeping away from her partner had made her realize just how very much she missed her brother. Emerald too of course, but it had always been Argent she had been closest to. They were twins - he understood her innately, without her needing to say it out loud. Now she was here, a new desert, proving her reiulsence in choosing this as her home. Proving she could handle living in the environment she had lost everything. 

She was lying on a high rock, a good six or seven body lengths above the swift-running water of the gorge. Her muzzle was drawn into a slight frown, her ears back and expression pensive.

Maybe she couldn’t handle it as well as she hoped. In the end, Ruby was still young, and very hotheaded, and it wasn’t easy for her to let things go and move on. And maybe… maybe she didn’t want to move on from memories of her family. When reality sucked, it was the thought of Argent and Emerald that she still turned to. She didn’t think that would ever change.

Sep 24, 2018 03:26 AM

[ ignore ]
Name Player
Irving Redthorn Bear

Irving wasn’t used to such harsh terrain. His paws ached, being so used to soft grass, and his muscles hurt from his constant travel. He was young and strong, but being away from family security now for over a month had taken its toll. He’d lost some weight, he looked a bit scruffy and dirty and his coat lacked its usual sheen. The oily wolf licked his dry lips. He wasn’t used to doing it all for himself yet, but he yearned for independence. It’s all he ever wanted.

He heard the roar of water in the distance, but he had no idea how incredible it would be until he arrived. He was horribly thirsty, and at the sight of the water he ran to lap at it. He drank until his empty stomach felt full, then turned to continue his march. He looked up at the cloudy sky. Hmm. Perhaps a rain soon?

He kept walking towards what he hoped would be greener lands, where the water led, but he truly had no idea where he was going. His nose was low to the ground, hoping to sniff out a little mouse or rabbit snacking on the shrubs. But he was lost in thought, and not paying much attention to his surroundings…

Sep 25, 2018 11:40 AM — Post #1

[ permalink ]   [ ignore ]
Name Player
Roxy King Sabrina Staff

//I know there’s a thread ongoing between Ruby and Roxy and some others but i couldn’t resist. <3

Roxy, honestly, didn’t know what she was doing at this point. She knew that there was something west—she’d heard there was a lake. Johnson had said so.

But, she didn’t really want to head west yet. She had an odd feeling that he’d lied to her, and there wasn’t actually a lake or a beach or anything cool west, and she wasn’t quite ready for the disappointment that laid beyond the arid sands of the desert.

So, obviously, she was going to continued roaming around the place until she knew every speck of gross, dry dust on the ground. It was an arduous task, but someone had to do it.

But then—hey! There was a guy!

And, damn, he was cute, too.

But, oh no, there was a girl nearby too. And by the way the guy was so nonchalant around her, Roxy just had to assume they were something. Damn girls.

She held her head a little higher, shook her luxurious fur out, and strutted toward them. She didn’t care if he was taken or not. She could still flirt.

Sep 25, 2018 12:32 PM — Post #2

Name Player
Irving Redthorn Bear

He was sniffing hard, hoping to find something vaguely fuzzy and delicious, but nothing was showing itself. He’d already messed up two hunts since he’d entered the desert, and while he wasn’t beyond eating snakes and leaves he wasn’t thrilled at the prospect. A cool breeze swirled by his head and he caught a smell he wasn’t expecting - was that.. wolf? Another wolf?

He looked up to see a rather small whitish wolf, almost walking like she was happy to see him. He lifted his head and cocked it to one side, curious, a little confused. Who was this stranger? He was still excited to meet another wolf, as he’d had a rather lonely walk through the desert. He stopped dead in his tracks and just watched her approach.

Oct 01, 2018 08:28 PM — Post #3

Name Player
Roxy King Sabrina Staff

//Skipping Ruby with Chris’s permission!

Oh! Cute Boy had spotted her!

And, okay, that was a little creepy, but he was just staring at her while she walked up to him. Weird. Whatever, he was still cute.

“Heya!” she called, waving her tail to show that she could be friendly and playful.

Oct 02, 2018 10:27 PM — Post #4

Name Player
Irving Redthorn Bear

He snapped out of his very dude-like stare when she called out to him. He smiled at her, and called back, “Hey there.” She was cute and small. “I’ve been wandering this desert by myself for a while. I wondered if you were a mirage.” He said and let out a little chuckle. His tail swished a bit in response, happy to see her and meet her, and he wondered who she was, or what she was doing out in this horrible place. Do wolves actually live out here? He hoped not. For their sake.

Oct 03, 2018 09:46 AM — Post #5

Name Player
Roxy King Sabrina Staff

Ohohoho.

Cute boy was toying with her. He had to be. She’d played this game enough times to know. (Hell, she wondered every day if she’d be having pups this spring because she took it a little too far sometimes).

A coy smile traced her features, and she swung her hips playfully with each step as she sauntered up to him. He was small for a male, but she didn’t quite mind that—she was small, too.

“A mirage, huh?” she echoed back playfully, strutting around to circle him. “No sir, it’s your lucky day—I’m aaaallll real,” she purred, her fluffy tail swishing and flicking in a flirtatious, friendly manner.

Oops. She forgot there was another lady around, but who cared? They clearly weren’t a thing anyway. This hottie was hers!

Oct 03, 2018 11:11 PM — Post #6

Name Player
Ruby Chris Staff

((Sorry guys, her other thread with Roxy in it had some uncertainty and I think it’s resolved enough now for me to make this work <3))

With a sigh Ruby shoved herself up, away from her grieving, and went to see who was invading her desert this time.

“Afternoon.” She called, walking towards the pair. “Does anyone need - Oh, Roxanne.” She blinked at the white wolf, otherwise showing no emotion after the way she’d overreacted to Ruby the first time. Greeeat she hadn’t left yet. Her green gaze went to the male, a handsome boy with deep sunset-fire eyes. “You two okay or you need directions out of here?” More directions, in Roxanne’s case, but that didn’t surprise Ruby. She already knew the white wolf had the same intelligence Ruby equated to a dung beetle.

Oct 04, 2018 08:42 AM — Post #7

[ Edited: Oct 05, 2018 06:31 PM by Ruby ]
Name Player
Irving Redthorn Bear

/ thursday through saturday are my busiest days, sorry! x-x /

He swished his tail back at Roxy, watching her go around and around. What an interesting turn of events, he thought. Maybe it really was his lucky day, huh? He chuckled. “What’s your name, beautiful stranger?” He asked.

He had no idea Ruby was there, and tried desperately to hide his surprise when she called out to them. He turned towards the red female and cocked his head. They seemed to know each other. Irving wondered if they were friends? It didn’t seem like it.
“I believe so. I’m just passing through. Trees are grass are a little more my style..” He said to Ruby. “You two friends?” He asked, glancing back and forth at the two different wolves.

Oct 07, 2018 09:33 AM — Post #8

Name Player
Roxy King Sabrina Staff

She offered him a playful smirk. “It’s Roxy,” she told him softly, before taking a little bound ahead of him to turn and face him.

And then… Ugh. Her fun time was interrupted, and by the mean red wolf she’d encountered a few days ago, nonetheless. Roxy frowned, and it only deepened when her little boy-toy admitted to wanting directions.

“I know the way out,” she told her, then shifted her green gaze to the boy. “I can get’cha outta here, if you want. I’m on my way out soon, anyway.”

Yeeessss. This would be the perfect excuse to get herself a traveling buddy for a little. Maybe, if Jackson really was somewhere nearby, it would do him good to see her with another guy.

Oct 07, 2018 09:01 PM — Post #9

Name Player
Ruby Chris Staff

Ruby almost rolled her eyes when Roxy ignored the guy’s question just because it was in regards to her. But man, what a line, beautiful stranger? Thank goodness she didn’t need to stick around long, as Roxanne immediately let her know she was unwelcome.

Yeah, like she was good at following directions since here she was even deeper in the desert than she had been last time. She would stay just long enough so that the guy, who might at least have half a brain, knew where he was going.

“Nope, Roxanne doesn’t like me much, she took offense the other day to me checking in on a lost kid.” She informed the guy factually with a shrug, because she honestly didn’t care what some stuckup girl thought of her. “Anyway, good news for you is the valley west of here has two different forests, all you have to do is follow the flow of this river to get there. Straight north until it dries up into a creek, then when it forks, stick with the flow again straight west.” She kept her green eyes on the guy to make sure he had all that down.

Oct 08, 2018 01:14 AM — Post #10

Name Player
Irving Redthorn Bear

Irving was enjoying the attention. He subconsciously puffed his chest and fanned his tail, and his face was full of smiles. He was a ham, and any attention given to him made him a happy, happy boy. He wondered what exactly happened between these two wolves, as Ruby seemed rather annoyed with Roxy. Roxy seemed maybe young, naive? But she hadn’t been rude or anything. The doe-eyed male blinked once or twice before responding.
“Ah. I understand. Well, regardless, thank you very much for the directions.” Irving said, and smiled at Ruby. He nodded his head deeply at her. Irving was an almost annoyingly nice guy, and would hate to know that someone got a bad impression of him.

“I suppose we can head that way then, eh?” He said, turning to Roxy. “I wouldn’t mind a traveling companion. By the way, my name is Irving.”

Oct 08, 2018 06:05 PM — Post #11

Name Player
Roxy King Sabrina Staff

She puffed up in indignation at Ruby’s accusations. “Uhm, excuse me, but you were terrifying the kid!” she shot back.

She gave the red-furred woman the cold shoulder (something Roxy could be very good at) and kept her sights on the man, Irving, as he spoke to her. She offered him a playful smile—perhaps too playful of a smile, just to show off to Ruby how ~happy~ she was talking to the boy—and let her featherduster tail swish back and forth at her heels. “Sounds great!” she chirped. She tipped her muzzle down in a more serious, dramatic manner. “It’s a pleasure to meet you,” she added, sounding formal but undeniably playful.

She closed the distance between them and attempted to gently nudge his shoulder as she strode past. “C’mon, Irving, let’s get outta here,” she said, not looking back to see if he’d follow.

Of course he would.

Oct 08, 2018 10:06 PM — Post #12

Name Player
Ruby Chris Staff

“I was offering directions.” Ruby corrected dryly, wondering how some wolves actually survived so long when they had no intelligence to speak of. She wasn’t upset when Roxanne seemed done with her and turned to the boy, waiting until she was done gushing to address Irving. (ew ew she would NEVER be like that with a male).

She found herself smiling at the boy’s manners. Cute kid, no wonder Roxanne had her eye on him. But if he was dumb enough to go with her he wasn’t worth that pretty face, Ruby figured.

“No problem, Irving. Just call me if you get into strife.” She returned the nod, then paused thoughtfully. “Oh and watch out for a big bugger, dark brown with pure white chest and cheeks. He scared the kid off and tried stealing form a starving woman. Means trouble.” Mark her words. She flicked her tail in farewell and turned to head deeper into the gorge to scout up dinner. 

((Exit unless stopped))

Oct 09, 2018 07:14 AM — Post #13

Name Player
Irving Redthorn Bear

Irving wondered what exactly had happened. A terrified kid, a starving lady, what in the world? He’d been in the desert a few days and only met one wolf. Where was all this activity happening he was missing? Ah, well, he certainly had some activity now. He had all these ladies almost fighting for him. He was still beaming like a happy idiot. “And you as well…” He said, eyes watching her every flirty move.

He felt the brush of her shoulder against his. The warmth and suddenness of the touch made him feel like he was going to melt, just for a moment. Oooooph. Yes ma’am. “Okay! Let’s go.”

Irving was very curious about Ruby, but he wasn’t about to stop her. Obviously Roxy and Ruby didn’t get along very well, and he wasn’t interested in causing any more strife between them. “Thank you. I’ll keep an eye out for him.” He called out to Ruby behind him. He caught up with Roxy and started walking beside her. His heart was beating hard. As much as he loved the ladies, he wasn’t, well, extremely experienced. He was young and naive and easily influenced. “I didn’t know there was a desert tour guide.” He said with a small laugh when he caught up with Roxy.

Oct 09, 2018 06:27 PM — Post #14

Name Player
Roxy King Sabrina Staff

She snorted as Irving caught up to her and joked about Ruby. Even if he hadn’t meant it that way, Roxy’s own hard feelings toward the red woman made her interpret his words in a more sardonic manner. “Yeah,” she laughed. “There’s actually two of ‘em,” she told him. “Weird girls, doin’ a weird job. Could you imagine sayin’ the same thing to wolves all day?”

Oct 12, 2018 05:43 PM — Post #15

Showing page 1 of 2.

Please log in or register to reply to this thread.