Roleplay Forums | Map

Eye for an eye
[summons] HY5 FS | Afternoon | Outside Jacqueline's den, looking for Jacqueline

Name Player
Relic Aureum Erin
Achievements (?)
1year 2mos 6mos 100posts 250posts otm profile

At the rate he was going Relic found himself near Jacqueline’s den almost every day, whether he came to hopefully find her or the pups out and about or just passing by and checking up on the perimeters of her small nest. He ached to get to know the two girls. Aside from Anna and Claes, they were the only two remaining links he had to Bea and Stephan. And he was going to do everything in his power to protect all of them.

Casually he made his way towards the dark entrance, ears cupped forward just in case any noises came from within upon his approach. “Jacqueline?” He questioned gently enough as to not disturb the puppies should they be sleeping.

Then he sat and patiently waited.

Oct 01, 2018 05:27 PM

[ ignore ]
Name Player
Jacqueline Bissette Sabrina Staff
Achievements (?)
helper

Jacqueline?

The sound of someone calling her name from outside the den was an occurrence that seemed quite normal nowadays. Nonetheless, none of the Covenant wolves were pleasant to her, and the sound made her hackles stand on end. It incited a protective response within her, to shield the pups from the hateful views of the pack wolves around them.

Nonetheless, she carefully picked her away across the pups and emerged from the den to greet the visitor. Ah, it was Relic.

Her eyes scanned the area. He was alone. Finally. She had things to discuss with him, and the conversation might not be pleasant.

“Relic,” she greeted him pleasantly. Her tone and facial expression were warm now, as they likely would ice over in the near future.

Oct 01, 2018 05:36 PM — Post #1

[ permalink ]   [ ignore ]
Name Player
Relic Aureum Erin
Achievements (?)

Naturally, Relic’s own expression remained stoic as he watched Jacqueline emerge from the den. There was obvious tension between her and the rest of the pack members, something Relic didn’t foresee dwindling anytime in the near future. He was sure as hell that Claes, at the very least, wasn’t going to take a liking to her ever, as well as Ash. There was little more hope for Anna in that area.

Her tone was surprising as she returned the greeting, resulting in Relic offering a small nod of his head. “How are the pups today?” He kept his tone calm, gentle. Though they likely both knew he was here for more than a status report about the babes.

Oct 01, 2018 05:42 PM — Post #2

Name Player
Achievements (?)
helper

Jacqueline was glad that the most rational of the Covenant wolves was the leader. If Claes or Ash, or even Anna, for that matter, had been at the head of things around here, Jacqueline would’ve gone nuts long ago.

Or she would’ve been gone. That was still a possibility.

Nevertheless, Relic was being pleasant for the time being, and she answered his question calmly. Since Clement’s birth, her mind had been much more clear. Less emotional, more objective. It was a blessing and a curse, to be back to her normal self. “The girls are getting bigger and more inquisitive by the minute,” she told him, “And Clément is healthy. He has yet to be trampled by his larger sisters,” she chuckled. “They’re sweet girls. Very good with him.”

She settled into a well-postured sitting position, with her tail wrapped neatly around her front paws. When the storm hit, it would be best to look composed.

Oct 01, 2018 05:50 PM — Post #3

Name Player
Relic Aureum Erin
Achievements (?)

As she began talking about the girls, a noticeable smile began tugging at the corners of Relic’s mouth. They were already taking after Anna and Claes so quickly. It was a shame Bea nor Stephan could be here to witness their growth with Relic. The thought had his smile vanishing, though he couldn’t help the chuckle that slipped through his lips at Jacqueline’s small joke. “They certainly sound like it.” They certainly take after Bea, he wanted to say, but decided to not stoke the embers quite yet.

“I came to ask you of your plans for the future,” he began, tilting his head slightly to the side as he trained his sights on her. She could take the statement however she wished, for Relic was curious about a number of things.

Oct 01, 2018 05:56 PM — Post #4

Name Player
Achievements (?)
helper

There it was. The topic she’d been waiting to bring up herself, uttered right from his lips. She supposed it better that Relic bring it up—it made it seem like she was less eager to approach the situation.

“Right,” she said in acknowledgement, buying herself some time to arrange the thoughts she’d been mulling over. Being in the den with pups for the past few weeks, especially after her pregnancy had ended, had calmed her fraying nerves and returned her logic back to her. It had been a puzzle, really, for Jacqueline to figure out the best way to address the situation at hand. She hadn’t analyzed anybody in quite a while.

From her experience, the Covenant wolves were self-righteous and extremely tight-knit. They relied upon… well, Jacqueline wasn’t sure what they relied upon. She thought perhaps they’d be like the Evergreens in the sense that, because the pups were being raised by her and had been the only mother they’d ever known, they belonged to her because of emotional attachment, but that wasn’t the case. Even though Bea had told her the pups were hers, and Anna had said “take them” on the day of her death.

Of course these damn wolves wouldn’t stick to their words.

Nonetheless, Jacqueline had deduced that Bea was highly revered. Her meeting with the calm woman had proven why. That status explained why Jacqueline’s presence was met by such bristling hostility. Selra’s immature actions, too, hadn’t helped their case.

She thought the Covenant wolves stupid, because they cared so little for the pups’ welbeing itself and more for a woman who was dead and gone, and only wanted the best for her offspring. Were they better or worse than the Evergreens on her list of pack stupidity? It was a tie-in.

The Evergreens were stupid in their urge to bend over backwards and always find the most righteous and fair answer. Plus, mental intellect was low, as well. But, when Jacqueline had joined their ranks for the fall season and helped them out, they hadn’t been so foolhardy as to shun her. The pack was outwardly nice, despite the obvious inner turmoil they’d experienced.

The Covenant was stupid in the sense that Jacqueline was absolutely vital to the survival of the pups, and they were too foolish to treat her with a lick of respect. The only redeeming factor was that Relic himself was fair to her. Even so, they seemed so blinded by the death of Bea that they couldn’t realize they were acting as animals that had gotten themselves cornered. They needed the pups to survive, and yet they were lashing out at the only ones who’d come to their aid.

Anyway. She thought she had a general idea of how to appeal to Relic, though her hopes in winning her case were slim, and she knew it. Sometimes being civil wasn’t an option, but it didn’t hurt to go through the motions just in case. Her tone of voice remained smooth and pleasant, though there was a graveness to it because she and he surely both knew what was to come.

“I won’t pull punches with you, Relic,” she began. “I’m running a pack elsewhere that needs me, as soon as possible.” She paused, to see how the gray male would receive this information.

“I understand you are all grieving over the death of Bea, but aside from yourself, the Covenant wolves have not given me a warm reception, despite the effort that I have put in to save her pups. I recognize that Selra was an issue—she’s been scolded and sent back home, and I will deal with that situation further when I return. But, you should know, I’m not inclined to stay and bring up young where I’m not wanted, nor shown respect in front of the pups. I fear that it will create a toxic environment for the children, and I do not want them to pick sides.”

Another deep breath and the address of the big issue, before she handed the conversation back to Relic. “When I met Bea, we got along well. I know you will not like this aspect of the situation, but she gave the pups to me. She wanted the pups to have a mother who cared for them to raise them, and she entrusted me with that role. Her only request was that I permit them to know their siblings, if their conduct is suitable. I intend to honor her wishes, and will not hide their lineage from them, but if you truly care about respecting Bea and her wishes, the pups should be permitted to accompany me when I return to my pack.”

There. It was said, calmly and respectfully, and however Relic reacted could not sully her own conduct.

Oct 01, 2018 07:24 PM — Post #5

Name Player
Relic Aureum Erin
Achievements (?)

So it turned out that Jacqueline planned to start her own pack, something Relic was indifferent to. He had a strong feeling she wouldn’t be staying with the Covenant. Even if she’d wanted to, he didn’t think the others would agree with it. The fact of her leaving at all didn’t come as a shock, and so he continued to regard her nonchalantly as her words continued to spill out.

The fact that the others in the pack hadn’t greeted her warmly also didn’t come as a shock, especially considering they’d all just lost two extremely close family members at once. Had it been under different circumstances, Relic was certain she would’ve been treated differently. Her attitude towards everybody in the Covenant didn’t help, either. Respect with everybody was earned, not simply handed out on a silver platter after doing one good deed.

There was no myriad of emotions crossing his face as she spoke. Most of it was anticipated, though some of it did stir a few things around in his heart. Bea would want what’s best for the pups, he knew that. He also knew she wouldn’t necessarily want them taken away from the only blood they had left.

“This pack you intend to start…tell me more about it,” he redirected the conversation for the time being. Details were what he aimed for now. Location, motives, morals, everything she cared to offer.

Oct 02, 2018 12:17 PM — Post #6

Name Player
Achievements (?)
helper

She was inwardly surprised that he hadn’t outright shut her argument down, or spouted off some nonsense about how shitty of a mother she’d been. The typical nonsense she’d been putting up with since she first got here.

Nevertheless, the temporary reprieve was welcome, and she nodded her head at his question gently. “Unfortunately, the territory is across the valley, settled around Cloudmirror.” Yes, how unfortunate that there would be a great distance between herself and the Covenant wolves. “Selra and I had spent most of the winter here, actually, sniffing around for a suitable territory in the mountains. But, alas, with two packs occupying the mountains already, it seemed foolish to further strain the resources here,” she elaborated.

What else might they want to know about her pack? Probably the values.

“I intend for the pack to focus on respect and diligence,” she answered. “My vision is to create a tight-knit group that respects and functions well with one-another,” she further explained, a faint glimmer of excitement in her eyes. Now was as good a time as ever to kiss Relic’s ass a little. “Selra is the most loyal of the wolves I’ve recruited, though she sorely lacks tact. The others have more… decorum,” she told him.

That might’ve been a lie, though Jacqueline wasn’t quite sure herself. Atura was quiet and stoic, but not outwardly aggressive. He was undoubtedly loyal—Jac sorely wished he’d return. Ezekiel, if he chose to venture north at some point, was surely respectful. And Margarita was jaded, perhaps, but she seemed less likely to snap at wolves in the way Selra had.

All in all, maybe she’d gathered herself a pack of hardasses, but out of the whole group, Selra was the worst of them all. Jacqueline still needed to reprimand her for that whole debacle.

Oct 02, 2018 12:40 PM — Post #7

Name Player
Relic Aureum Erin
Achievements (?)

The lake to the north. Relic had visited that area once upon a time, but he couldn’t remember it harboring any suitable territories. Everything there was very open and partially fragile, depending on how one looked at it. The mountains were more ideal for his needs.

However, the premise of her pack ever so slightly piqued his interest. It was similar to what he’d set out to do with the Covenant, alas there they were. Holding a pack together - as well as keeping members from metaphorically killing each other - was more difficult than he thought originally. He figured, though, that Jacqueline might already suspect this challenge with the wolves she had at her side. It also wasn’t his problem to worry about. He had enough of those these days.

“I certainly wish you luck with your pack. It sounds like you have ideas laid out well enough,” he added once she was finished. “You’ll need a good amount of luck, trust me,” he joked, allowing a small chuckle to pass. Even having just one strong personality in a pack can lead to many issues, but he didn’t think he needed to tell her that. Selra seemed to be her problem child already.

“My issue, however, lies in the pups being taken from this basin.” He sighed, pulling his gaze to meet Jacqueline’s though they didn’t grow harsh or stern. “I know you and the rest of my members do not get along well. Anna and Claes do not wish to see their sibings being taken away from them, especially not with both of their parents having left so abruptly.” There was a sadness to his eyes, though it came naturally and wasn’t intended to sway Jacqueline one way or the other. Relic was nothing if not a genuine wolf.

He set his sights away from Jacqueline and off to the side casually, but trying to hide the emotions displayed on his face. “I, as well, do not wish to see the pups leave. After the news of Bea passing, I had made an inward promise to both her and myself to raise them as my own in her stead - alongside Stephan, although he is obviously no longer part of the picture.” He knew it was selfish, but he didn’t care. Relic had never been selfish about anything in his life. Part of him felt like he was allowed to be selfish every now and then.

“So what I’m getting at, I suppose, is what would it take to convince you to let us keep them here?” Remaining civil was always the timber’s strong suit, though he knew when he needed to be less so. His looked back to Jacqueline not with pleading eyes, but more a look of understanding and hope. The little starlights were meant to be part of the Covenant. To grow up alongside their brother and sister - ideally their mother and father, as well, but alas. Relic had never wanted to raise pups so badly in his life up until this point. He couldn’t let his friends down.

Oct 02, 2018 04:44 PM — Post #8

Name Player
Achievements (?)
helper

She offered him a good-natured smile at his jest. “I’m sure I will,” she agreed. The easy, light nature of the conversation put her mind at ease, told her that Relic was a better wolf than those around him (he wasn’t bad-looking, either, and she was constantly reminded of that because his head kept rearing up everywhere). Alas, though, it could not relax her for the conversation that was bound to happen, the demand that the pups stay here.

Except, it didn’t come. The proposal was made, as she’d been waiting for, but it wasn’t harsh, nor was it demanding. Relic made it sound like she had a choice. Oh, she liked that. Finally, someone had acknowledged that she had a say in these pups’ future, and she wasn’t some opinionless, villainous milk-giver.

Buuuuuuuuuut that wasn’t enough for Relic to win his case.

Jacqueline knew she was at a disadvantage here—however she defended herself would likely be viewed as a selfish way of stealing the pups that she was raising as her own for herself. How irrational, to want the children she’d grown attached to, right? If Relic himself harbored those feelings, she was not sure, but she knew that snot-nosed Ash did. It was always written all over his face.

Her answer came out calmly, just as the words following would if Relic kept treating her respectfully. “That is the problem,” she began. “I understand the desire to keep the pups here—it is no doubt as strong as my desire to take them with me. The pups’ blood lies here, with the Covenant, though the only mother they’d known, and their adoptive brother, have loyalties elsewhere. It’s quite the predicament,” she explained, offering Relic an apologetic, tight-lipped smile.

Her voice hardened with reality, though it was not harsh or aggressive toward the Lumen. “Whatever results from this circumstance will cause the pups displeasure. You and I both know it. I have a proposal, to minimize the damages dealt and prevent any bad blood between us and those two precious girls in the den behind me.”

She paused, long enough to gauge the timber male’s reaction, before continuing on. “Let them choose, once they’re weaned,” she said simply, leaning back on her haunches. “The girls are smart; they’ll appreciate being given the choice and treated maturely. If their wishes change later on down the line, then so be it.”

She waited for the leader’s reaction. Her proposal was rational—it removed all emotion from the situation and placed the girls as the focal point. When twp parties wanted the pups, and both were arguably just as entitled to it as the other, letting the pups choose their own path, their own happiness, was the most rational way to go about things. It highlighted that Jacqueline’s priorities laid in making the girls happy (even if she did SO want the pups for her own, and was still devising a way to keep them all to herself regardless).

She wondered, though…. How rational was Relic? Would he let his selfish emotions get the better of him?

How interesting.

Oct 02, 2018 09:52 PM — Post #9

Name Player
Relic Aureum Erin
Achievements (?)

Some part of Relic had expected Jacqueline to shift gears at his question. To respond as if he were grovelling at his feet, although it wasn’t that reaction that came. Instead, he had a proposal for him and set it out in a decently nice way rather than getting any sort of attitude about it.

And her proposal was one he hadn’t expected. One that he certainly would agree with, though he knew the others absolutely would not. However, when it came down to the logic and reason behind it, it made sense. So much as Anna, Claes, Ash, and Relic himself wanted the pups to stay and be raised here, he knew there was no point in making them stay if they didn’t want to. After all, Relic had never been the type of wolf to force chains upon others.

“I’ll be honest. I wasn’t expecting this kind of negotiation from you,” he mused, though he didn’t mean it in any malevolent way. He’d just expected for her to say no and be on her way.

“But I don’t think that’s a bad idea. However, regardless of where they choose to go, would our members be welcome in each others’ territories should they want to visit?” If she were to say the Covenant members would not be allowed to visit the girls should they choose to stay with Jacqueline, Relic wasn’t so sure he’d be happy with this otherwise sound idea.

Oct 04, 2018 05:18 PM — Post #10

Name Player
Achievements (?)
helper

Malevolence intended or not, Jacqueline sensed it. She tilted her head slightly, just enough of a reaction to show that she was interested in his words, and her eyes narrowed. She offered him a distant, mysterious smile. “I would be nothing if not reasonable, Relic,” she said smoothly. Truth be told, she didn’t want to give the girls up, but she knew that, for her appearance as a pack leader and the situation at hand, this was the best way to get what she wanted. What was the likelihood the girls would choose not to stay with their mother and adoptive brother, anyway?

At his next question, she nodded. “Of course. I’ve no problems with visitation, nor letting the girls travel when they’re old enough, as long as you don’t,” she offered. “Though, it goes without saying that your pack’s attitude toward me must improve. I’ve been trying to stay on my best behavior in an attempt to repair things.”

Truly, she had been. Jacqueline, under normal circumstances, would never have tolerated the treatment she’d endured thus far in the Covenant.

Oct 04, 2018 09:26 PM — Post #11

Name Player
Relic Aureum Erin
Achievements (?)

She claimed to be open for visitation, both for each pack to visit each other as well as allow the girls to roam on their own once they grew old enough. It satisfied Relic, but he still felt like he needed to discuss it with the others. Or, at the very least, inform them of what he and Jacqueline have discussed.

But she was displeased with the way the others have been treating her. Relic understood the frustration, but he also remembered the way her own comrades had treated his own members in turn.

“Ah, yes. I’m afraid everybody has started off on the wrong foot, your friends included,” he noted with a sigh and a flick of his ear. He wasn’t about to apologize for the way his members have acted. There have been many losses in the Covenant to lead to everybody’s high-strung emotions with certain issues. Though, he knew Jacqueline had no way of knowing that. Somehow he felt it pointless to try and explain it all to her.

“Naturally, I will need to pass this information along to the others. They will not be left in the dark in anything that is decided here.” He would not hide anything from Anna, Claes, or Ash, not that he ever had before. The discussion of the girls directly affected them all, as well.

Oct 05, 2018 04:29 PM — Post #12

Name Player
Achievements (?)
helper

She had to stifle a snarl at his comment. Yes, Relic, she was aware that Selra hadn’t made a good impression on the Covenant wolves. Had he forgotten that she’d gone out of her way when she had a pack to be running to save the girls’ lives? Hello? She deserved some better treatment, regardless of how Selra had acted. She merely nodded patiently. “Mhm.”

“Understandably,” she acknowledged, though the thought of what the whelps in the pack might say to her suggestion made her lips want to curl.

“Speaking of which,” she continued on smoothly, “You know, I’ve been trapped in this den since my arrival. Have I met all of the Covenant wolves?”

Oct 05, 2018 09:11 PM — Post #13

Name Player
Relic Aureum Erin
Achievements (?)

He nodded idly to her response. The next question she had for him, however, somehow had him feeling slightly uncomfortable. Relic couldn’t tell if she was genuinely curious or if there was a bigger motive underlining her question.

“Others come and go, go and come.” He shrugged. Tiponya and Siberia hadn’t been around recently, but he wouldn’t be surprised if they made a return. “Ash, Anna, and Claes are the more settled members, though.” Speaking of which, he began wondering when he’d see any of the Rangers again. He found it a bit odd how none of them came to visit Ash in the basin since he relocated to the Covenant.

“Should you ever have the desire to venture, I’d be more than willing to watch the pups for a bit. Anna, as well, I know would be thrilled to babysit them.” Even though she probably wouldn’t like it, but that part didn’t concern him much.

Oct 06, 2018 12:44 PM — Post #14

Name Player
Achievements (?)
helper

Ah. So perhaps Relic was feeling defensive over the fact that he was lording over a pack of overgrown whelps? He hadn’t directly answered the question. Or, maybe that was just the way things were at the Covenant. Either way, should they ever get too full of themselves over who had more rights to the girls, Jacqueline took note that its numbers were low.

She nodded. “I was just wondering—you all seem very close,” she explained. “I wish I could tell you more about my pack’s ranks, but… I won’t know until Selra returns,” she told him, with a playfully dramatic sigh. “Whenever that may be.”

His offer left her with mixed emotions. She would have very much liked to leave the pups with someone while she went out on business, though she still wasn’t sure she trusted the Covenant wolves enough to be asking them for any favors. Nonetheless, she smiled kindly at him. “Ah, thank you. It does get rather boring in the den. I imagine, by the time the pups are weaned, I’ll be due for some adventure,” she chuckled. “I’ve a friend up north I’ve been meaning to visit.”

Oct 06, 2018 04:44 PM — Post #15

Showing page 1 of 2.

Please log in or register to reply to this thread.