Roleplay Forums | Map

These are the days
Oak Savanna | Late Summer | Midday | Very hot

Name Player
Eve Chris Staff

It would be no surprise to many wolves to find Eve down by the river at the northernmost edge of the savanna, watching her beloved otter family. She giggled quietly at their antics as they rolled and played in the water, if without as much fire as they sometimes had. Eve didn’t blame them, it was so hot! Even the river seemed to be moving more sluggishly than usual.

The yearling moved quietly with them as they made their way upriver. But at the borders Eve herself helped diligently mark, she stopped as the otters carried on, not subject to the whims of wolf territory in the slightest. Eve though - things were better at home, happier, but she still wasn’t thinking about leaving the territory. Not even with one paw. She woofed quietly, amber eyes shining, to farewell the otters for now.

Jan 30, 2019 06:41 PM

[ ignore ]
[ Edited: Feb 01, 2019 06:42 PM by Eve ]
Name Player
Nomad Rangers Jeames

Goddamn, it was hot. Nomad needed some break from the sun, he needed some water. But, the Gorge was the other way, the ocean far behind it. The Oak Savanna had a nice river, so Nomad decided it was a good idea to there to cool off.

He moved slow, sluggish, panting lightly. Even though he had lost a good amount of fur, he was still massive and bulky, and his height and weight did not really help with dealing with the heat, either. A loud yawn escaped him, as he shuffled off to the nearby stream.

Reaching the water, he bent over and dipped his head in, his eyes firmly closed. A nice dunk into the water, to cool off. Lifting his head, he shook his head a few times in an instinctive response. He opened his eyes, and looked around lazily for a moment, his front paws stepping into the much cooler liquid. That’s when he saw someone he believed he recognized. But from this distance he could not yet tell who it was.

Nomad let out a woof to alert them of his presence, and smiled. He started moving in the other wolf’s direction.

Jan 31, 2019 01:01 PM — Post #1

[ permalink ]   [ ignore ]
Name Player
Eve Chris Staff

Eve turned her head towards the woof and smiled warmly. She was a sharp-eyed girl - maybe a little moreso than the older male - and recognized who is was. Nomad! With her tail waving she went trotting - slowly - towards him.

“Hello Nomad! Ohmigosh it’s so hot isn’t it.” She giggled when she caught sight of his dripping face and damp front paws. That looked like a good idea to her, maybe now the otters were gone.

“You just missed some otters in the river! They went towards the range now, but I think swimming seems like a good thing to do when it’s this hot.”

Jan 31, 2019 09:55 PM — Post #2

Name Player
Nomad Rangers Jeames

As nomad neared, he realized it was Eve. He smiled at her, bouncing a little closer to greet her. ’’Hey Eve!’’ he said. Last time he had upset her, he was not planning to do that again.

’’It sure is hot. Even though I lost most of my fur, it still feels like I’m wearing FOUR fur coats at once.’’ he told her, and let out a laugh, it wheezed a little near the end. Nomad knew he needed to be careful. He mostly got asthma attacks in summer time because it was just too hot for him to handle. So, he tried not to tire himself out too much. No sudden movements, Nomad, and keep your breathing steady.
You got this.

Otters, huh? ’’Awww, too bad I missed them! Maybe I will see them next time.’’ he said, and then looked at the river that cut through the Savanna. ’’You wanna go for a swim, now? Dunk yourself in?’’ he asked Eve.

Nomad would sure like to go for a swim right now…

Feb 01, 2019 07:26 AM — Post #3

Name Player
Eve Chris Staff

Eve giggled when Nomad mentioned he felt like he had four coats instead of one! “Everybody thinks that when they look at you too.” She teased him, indirectly calling him chubby.

Then he suggested a swim themselves. “Oooooh shiny, yes please Nomad!” She moved eagerly towards the river. She had noticed the little catch in his breathing, but it went away quickly so she didn’t worry about it too much.

“The otters are so cool Nomad! It’s a whole family, and their kits are almost all grownup now! They get big so fast.” Eve sighed happily.

Feb 01, 2019 06:35 PM — Post #4

Name Player
Nomad Rangers Jeames

Wait, what was that for a comment? Nomad grinned. ’’Hey now, are you calling me fat?’’ he asked her, teasing her back. It felt good to not be so down all the time. He was doing a little better. He realized he felt better about himself since he’d been getting closer with Applebutter. She was so positive, and kept him afloat. It was a good feeling.

There were wolves who loved him and cared about him. Nomad needed to cherish that. And he was working on it. he was trying to talk to the others, he wanted to get closer to everyone. He needed to spend more time with Eve, too.

Eve agreed to swim, and Nomad followed her towards the water. Normally he would have jumped in eagerly, but right now the heat was getting to him, so he moved in at a calm pace, slower than usual. His coat getting soaked was such a great feeling right now. His head went under for a few seconds to get his face just as soaked. Mmmm, so good!

He listened to Eve, as she spoke of the others, and Nomad smiled. ’’Awww, that’s adorable! The otter parents must be so proud of their babies!’’ he said, and he wondered if he would be excited if he ever had pups and saw them grow up. He was sure he would.

Gosh, he wished Rocco had just stayed…

But by now he did not blame himself anymore. He blamed her for leaving.
She was stupid for leaving.

Feb 03, 2019 04:05 AM — Post #5

Name Player
Eve Chris Staff

She shot a too-innocent look forwards Nomad. “Did I say that?” Giggle. Maybe she sort of had. But she followed eagerly to the edge of the water and bounded into the river. A little gasp left her; why did water on the hottest day feel so cold for the moment you got in? But it went away so quickly, and she wriggled her shoulders as she surged into current, her front paws striking confidently at the water. She was much more sure of herself when swimming than almost anything else.

“I wonder what’ll happen Nomad, when they get grownup. Not many pups stay with their family forever, right?” She looked thoughtful, more than sad. Were otters like wolves in that way?  She thought of the first, lone otter she had seen at the shoal. He had been alone. 

Like Nomad, she was starting to see that growing up meant learning how to say goodbye. While she was still naive enough to cling to the hope that one day she might have her whole family together, she also was starting to learn to appreciate the good moments she did have.

Like this one, right here.

Feb 03, 2019 05:17 AM — Post #6

Name Player
Nomad Rangers Jeames

In the water, he felt more at ease. He let out a soft yawn as he relaxed, and felt a little less overheated. Eve spoke, and Nomad’s attention shifted lazily to her and he listened. She asked him a question, and she seemed a little… concerned about it? Nomad wasn’t sure. But he guessed it was not weird she would worry about such a thing.

’’Yeah, some leave, some stay. I think they will find a home of their own, if they do leave their parents. And they will look for a mate, and have little kits of their own.’’ Nomad told her, hoping to reassure her, with a smile. It seemed most plausible. After all, it was only natural animals grew up and ventured out to search for someone special to spend the rest of their lives with.

’’And then there will be even more otter families.’’

That sounded nice.

Feb 04, 2019 04:13 AM — Post #7

Name Player
Eve Chris Staff

Eve paddled around Nomad as they talked, not really thinking about it. Just staying in motion because the water was in motion. It was so wonderful and cool in the river. Eve decided much as she loved the gorge, she also loved it here in the oaks.

Nomad spoke of some otters leaving their family, but then pointed out something Eve hadn’t thought of. “Ooooh, so - they sort of have to leave, don’t they? Well some of them like you said.” But that meant it wasn’t really even a sad thing to happen. Eve suddenly felt filled with positivity. “I never thought of it that way!”

She smiled happily to herself, dunking her head briefly under the water before lifting it again, feeling even more refreshed.

“Nomad, how come you like swimming so much? You’re always swimming here, or in the stream at the gorge, or on the beach.” Hey, a swimming character might work well for a story!

Feb 04, 2019 04:55 AM — Post #8

Name Player
Nomad Rangers Jeames

Nomad nodded, smiling lightly. ’’Yeah, because of they don’t, there won’t be any others, anywhere else. The same goes for- us wolves, you know? Most of us leave home to search for something else, something new. Maybe it’s instinctive, a natural drive to spread out over the world and have new packs elsewhere.’’ And kids, of course.

Nomad had found his place here, though. he was not going to go anywhere else. Bucky was here, and all other Rangers. He did not want to leave them behind. The explanation seemed to excite Eve, though, make her happier. That was good. This time, Nomad was not going to upset her. He would make sure not to.

Eve asked a question, and Nomad realized she probably had never heard the story of the two brothers. He guessed telling her meant he had to mention his old folks, too, which he wasn’t too happy about. But, he didn’t mind sharing.

’’Well, it’s a long story, if you want to hear it.’’ he told her, with a shy grin.

Feb 04, 2019 05:41 AM — Post #9

Name Player
Eve Chris Staff

Eve’s ears fell a little bit. She didn’t like that thought quite so much because it was a lot more difficult. To think that… she might not see Speck and Doe again because they had to be somewhere else. Starting their own families. Eve felt a rare flash of Have I actually grown up? Most of the time she felt the same as she had when she was a puppy. But… she wasn’t, not really.

“Wow, I… yeah, I guess so. But is it weird to say if I do have a family someday, I really hope that we all just stay together?” She didn’t even really need an answer to that. It was how Eve felt. And her smile returned when Nomad mentioned he had an entire story to tell about swimming!

“Nomad, it’s me - I LOVE long stories!” She turned so she was facing him, paddling more or less in place as she floated in front of Nomad, ears coming forward and expression expectant.

Feb 04, 2019 05:47 AM — Post #10

Name Player
Nomad Rangers Jeames

Nomad continued to smile, listening to her explanation, and agreeing with her thoughts. He had the exact same feelings on the matter. ’’Me too, Eve. If I ever get a family, I want us all to stay together, like Bucky and I stayed together. And like the Rangers staying together, right now.’’ he told her. If he ever got a family, though. That remained to be seen, for now.

Eve was excited to hear his story, and Nomad guessed he shouldn’t have expected any less from her. He chuckled. But, on the other hand, he didn’t really know her that well, did he? Hmmmm, he really needed to change that.

Story time…

’’Well- I grew up in a small family. My mother, father, brother and sister, and me. My family was all big and strong, but I was really small and weak… so my parents didn’t name me. They thought I would not live long, anyway. They… didn’t really raise us with love. There was discipline, and a lot of rules. They were harsh. And since I was the smallest I could barely keep up, I’m not even sure how I survived- but I did. Because I could not keep up, my siblings bullied me, especially my brother…’’

That was the first part of the story.

’’I didn’t know what was wrong with me, but I was always short of breath, and could not run for long distances. I didn’t find out what illness I had, until later. But before I tell you about that- after a year my parents decided to just- leave me in the woods. They took me far away from home, and left me there. I haven’t seen my parents since. It was a struggle, to look after myself. I was actually starving and close to dying when Bucky and I found each other.’’

’’I found him in the river. He was unconscious… and I was afraid he would drown. I had never swum before, but I was not really afraid of the water. Maybe a little… But I had to save him, or he would die. So- I used up all my remaining strength and managed to pull him out- he was much bigger than me, at the time. He woke and did not remember who he was, so I named him, like I had named myself… After that we were inseparable. He trained me, and we hunted together, and I grew to be as big and as strong as him. We even found out what ailed me, by visiting local packs and asking for healers- I have something that’s called asthma, it’s something with my lungs. That’s why I sometimes have trouble breathing. It mostly happens during hot summer days, when I move a lot. We never healed it, but I managed to live with it, and I had herbs to help me.’’

’’He mostly trained me by letting me swim in the river or ocean. That’s how I grew stronger and bigger- water helped me get better, so it became something positive and fun to me.’’

Feb 04, 2019 06:04 AM — Post #11

Name Player
Eve Chris Staff

Eve listened to the entire story without interrupting, paddling away avidly as she drank it in. It had so many amazing things in it. Not only wolves she cared about, but there were the bad guys of the story (her face contorted in horror when Nomad revealed his parents had deliberately abandoned him) but there was swimming and healing, everything woven together - and a happy ending, Nomad growing stronger and healthier because he swam all the time.

“So that’s why! It’s not just something that’s fun to you, it’s something that’s really important.” Eve breathed. “Nomad, what an incredible story! I’m so glad you’re better now.” She paused. “Maybe you could show me what herbs you use? Just in case you need them again for your asthma, or we find another wolf sick with it?”

Feb 04, 2019 06:15 AM — Post #12

Name Player
Nomad Rangers Jeames

Eve listened to his story without saying a single thing in between, and really seemed to enjoy it. Or well, she was interested in it, focused on it. once Nomad was done, Eve piped up. He nodded at what she said. ’’Yeah, that’s why.’’ he said, letting her know she had made the right connection.

She wanted to know about the herbs he used, for healing purposes? Awesome! Nomad had to think for a second. He knew one by name, the milder one. What was the bigger one called again? ’’Sure! Uh- Well, lavender does not really lessen the symptoms but it does help a little. Most wolves who have an asthma attack either panic, or panicking started it… so lavender helps to calm the nerves so the symptoms might be less severe.’’

What was the other one called again…? Ughughughugh. OH. SHADE HAD TOLD HIM ABOUT IT BEFORE!
’’Wild garlic! That’s what really lessens the symptoms! they’re like, buried, and they’re recognizable by their green stems that stick out, like a few big green leaves clustered together!’’ GOT IT!

’’Shade told me about them- they grow mostly on the edge near water. You need a small dosage.’’

Feb 04, 2019 06:26 AM — Post #13

Name Player
Eve Chris Staff

Eve listened to this almost as rapt as the story itself. Healing was very interesting to her, and something she cherished as a way to be close to her mother even when they were apart.

“Lavender and wild garlic, okay, I’ll remember them Nomad! And I’ll gather them so if you have an attack you have plenty.” She promised with a smile. She didn’t know wild garlic but it sounded pretty distinctive!

Feb 04, 2019 06:56 AM — Post #14

Name Player
Nomad Rangers Jeames

Nomad’s smile grew a little brighter at Eve’s next words. If he had been able to wag his tail, he would have. But he was standing in water, and his tail was fully submerged. She would not be able to see it even if he did decide to wag his tail. ’’Aawww, thank you, Eve. that’s so sweet of you.’’ he told her, and playfully splashed some water her way.

’’I tried two other herbs but uh… I forgot their names.’’ he let her know, smiling sheepishly, feeling a little embarrassed.

’’Something Oregon and something… Foot? Uh, those ar part of their names, at least.’’ he told her, and shrugged.

Feb 04, 2019 07:01 AM — Post #15

Showing page 1 of 3.

Please log in or register to reply to this thread.