Roleplay Forums | Map

Whispers of what was
Evergreen Forest | Late Summer | Late afternoon | Hot and sunny outside the trees

Name Player
Yuna Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper

Yuna knew it was time to head home. She felt the same pull she always did when she ventured too far from the coastline, the waves calling her back, and it was with some reluctance she turned to the west to track towards the setting sun.

She hadn’t found Momo, and in her heart all she had wanted was to being Pace’s missing daughter back safe and sound, after loosing so much of her family. Yuna still thought of Shark and Carl with a pang. Wondering where they were, and if they were happy.

Yuna wondered that about a lot of wolves.

She caught the faintest whiff of scent but even as her mind wanted to register familiarity, she wouldn’t allow herself to drift towards it. It couldn’t be, her mind simply refused to admit even the possibility. Yuna had never admitted to a soul how scared she was to face her youngest daughter again. It meant facing her own failures as a mother, no matter how many times Arashi assured her it wasn’t her fault.

Would things have been different if Tidus had survived to help raise his girls? Would they be all together, on their precious beach? Yuna didn’t know. With a sigh, she headed back towards the coast. At least soon she’d have her paws in the sand once more and be surrounded by her Tribemates.

Feb 02, 2019 08:53 AM

[ ignore ]
Name Player
Kalea Nami Bear
Achievements (?)
None yet!

The woods were starting to speak to her. She loved the shelter of the trees, the deep earthly smell that surrounded you. Summer was excruciatingly hot this year, and the golden wolf was enjoying the cool woods. She loved the easy access to a myriad of herbs, some she didn’t know the uses of, and that excited her. Carelessly she had been testing them on herself, with mixed results. Occasionally she got sick, or felt funny. But how else would she know what they did?

The skinny little wolf was getting better and better at hunting, living, existing. She had a little rabbit in her mouth, which she was carrying back in to the woods. Dune showed her rabbits live in big groups, and sometimes you can get lucky enough to grab one. The rabbits had their own little warren right outside the treeline.

She was re-entering her forest with her snack. She was so proud of herself for hunting even a little meal like this. She glanced around, noticing a little bit of movement up ahead. Her mismatched eyes caught a familiar cream-colored shape in the distance, and her heart thumped heavily against her chest. Her lips parted, and the limp rabbit fell to the ground in front of her. She froze, unable to move, staring at exactly who she thought she was staring at.

Feb 03, 2019 04:49 PM — Post #1

[ permalink ]   [ ignore ]
Name Player
Yuna Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper

That… was not her imagination. Because it wasn’t just Kalea’s scent. It was Kalea’s scent overlaid with herbs. She recalled a memory of finding her daughter at the toddling stage, sitting in her alcove of her herb cache playing with peppermint and rosemary leaves, making little piles out of them ‘like Mama’. It was so vivid for a second she was worried she really was imagining things, seeing her youngster daughter as a tiny puppy in front of her. 

When she turned around it happened slowly, only to spot an almost mirror image figure at some distance. Yuna started to shake. All over, her tail trembling like a leaf behind her. She stared, wondering if she might be asleep, if her longing to have her family reunited was fueling this moment.

But the scent. That of her daughter, mingled with the herbs. She couldn’t take a step. Couldn’t even move but for the continuing trembling. The figure became blurry when her eyes filled with tears.

“Sunflower…?” Her baby. Her baby girl. She was here.

Feb 03, 2019 08:07 PM — Post #2

Name Player
Kalea Nami Bear
Achievements (?)
None yet!

There was no fighting it. Endless streams of salty tears cascaded down her golden face. Her heart wasn’t ready for it; she never thought she would be ready to see Momma again. But life had a funny way of giving you what you didn’t expect.

Momma didn’t even look real. So far away from the sandy beaches of their home, she looked out of place. Without the ocean and sand to accompany her. But, Momma’s side was the first real home she ever had, her first friend, the first thing she could ever rely on. Home could be anywhere she was.

Sunflower. It really was her. She took a delicate step forward. “Mom..ma?” Was Momma crying because she was so upset with her for leaving? “Momma.. I..I..” Her words were interrupted with small choked sobs. Whatever she wanted to say, she couldn’t manage to get out.

Feb 03, 2019 08:58 PM — Post #3

Name Player
Yuna Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper

Yuna didn’t even realize it was conscious. But when Kalea stepped forward her she managed to unstick her paws, taking several steps her way as her own tear continued to overflow.

“Kalea, it’s re-really you. You’re alive!” Yuna might have just slumped down and dissolved into sobs herself, if so much hadn’t been at stake.

She stretched her head and neck out as if she could touch Kalea, comfort her despite the distance that remained between them. “I’m s-sorry, I’m so so sorry, my baby. Please, please f-forgive me, p-please don’t cry.” What a useless thing to say as she babbled somewhat, Kalea’s sobs drawing Yuna closer, the pull of a child to their mother too strong to ignore, no matter how terrified she was Kalea wasn’t going to accept her. 

Her daughter needed her. Her youngest baby, the child she had worried might never come home, might not still be living and breathing. She was here, only a day or so from home.

Later Yuna might reflect on the irony of her search for Momo leading her to her lost daughter. But now, all she could see was Kalea.

She was right here. Underweight (Yuna couldn’t really talk there, though Kalea’s younger frame showed she was worse off) but in one piece, unharmed. The stars had watched over her child.

Feb 03, 2019 09:06 PM — Post #4

Name Player
Kalea Nami Bear
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Kalea was definitely noticeably thin. Her skin clung to her sides and her fur was thinner than it should have been. If one looked close enough, a variety of little cuts and scrapes, mostly healed, could be seen. Walking through brambles, falling. Botched hunting attempts. Bad encounters with wildlife. She was always terrible at minding herself, and in the worst of her mental anguish, she did not bother to address her wounds.

Kalea couldn’t make words; her mouth parted, but little whines were all that she could do. She didn’t want to see Momma like this. She wanted to get better, and, and.. and go back home, healthy, and show her she did okay. Apologize over and over. But instead, Momma was apologizing to her. Telling her not to cry, that she’s sorry, to forgive her.

“I’m—the—one—who—should—be—sorry!” She managed to choke out. She hated to see her mother so upset. All she did was upset her mother. The guilt never subsided, never got easier. Kalea tried to take the last few steps to reach her, but she couldn’t - her legs buckled from beneath her. Her little body collapsed to the ground, and she wept. Her emotions held her hostage, as they always would.

Feb 04, 2019 09:13 AM — Post #5

Name Player
Yuna Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper

There was some measure of relief in knowing her daughter didn’t blame her for her lack of parenting skills, though it didn’t absolve Yuna of how she felt herself. If Kalea had been more comfortable in talking to her about her problems as a child, she wouldn’t be here now, pitifully skinny and alone. Up close Yuna began to spot a few small scars under her daughter’s thick fur, but she didn’t have any time to assess when Kalea collapsed to the ground in sobs.

Crying as well, Yuna made it the last of the distance, though she wasn’t sure how on legs that felt as insubstantial as clouds on a summer’s day. She lay beside Kalea, extending a front paw and her head and neck over her baby.

“I’m h-here. Sunflower, I’m here n-now.” She managed, though the way tears caught in her throat made her words somewhat stilted. She pressed her face into Kalea’s neck fur. And it was her. Though her scent wasn’t overlaid with sand and salt anymore, it was her daughter’s familiar scent in her nose.

Feb 04, 2019 03:24 PM — Post #6

Name Player
Kalea Nami Bear
Achievements (?)
None yet!

The warmth and comfort of Momma was everything to her. Unlike Kalea, Yuna still had the tangy ocean scent to her, and the nostalgic scent was almost too much to handle. Kalea whined as she pushed in to her mother’s embrace. I’m here now. She could still hear the pain and worry in her Momma’s voice. So much guilt welled up inside Kalea again.

She never expected to come across her mother out here. She couldn’t even imagine mom away from the shore. “Wh-what are you do-doing here? We-were you looking for m-me?” She felt so pathetic and small, like a tiny little puppy again. A little puppy who needed to be held and watched.

Feb 05, 2019 05:51 PM — Post #7

Name Player
Yuna Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper

Yuna wasn’t pushed away. She wasn’t growled at or pulled away from, which quite probably would have broken her heart at this point. Instead Kalea nestled further into her, and Yuna snuggled more firmly against Kalea’s skin and bones figure, her heart constricting a little when she realized how thin she was under all that fur.

“Momo went m-missing, I didn’t know y-you were here. I…” She faltered, and for a moment she just pressed her cheek into Kalea’s fur further, trying to gather herself together. She finally lifted her head, enough to seek Kalea’s eyes, the mirror reflection of her own.

“When you left… When you didn’t come home, I thought you must blame me, for… for everything. I made mistakes with you girls.” Mahalo leaving was just another example. Momo too, when she left without a word, though she wasn’t related by blood. “I really want a chance to do better, Kalea. To talk to one another properly, support each other as a family should, not feel we have to keep things from one another.”

Feb 05, 2019 06:07 PM — Post #8

Name Player
Kalea Nami Bear
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Kalea hadn’t had physical contact in..

Well. It had been a long, long while. She didn’t realize how badly she desired the warmth and comfort she was receiving.

Momo.. momo.. Who was Momo? She couldn’t remember, especially not right now. It didn’t matter. The only thing that matted was.. was Momma wasn’t looking for her. Did Momma think she was dead the whole time? The thought made Kalea’s heavy, weepy heart somehow worse.

Momma was wrong. Kalea finally realized Momma was just trying her best. Kalea should have been there for her. “Momma, no. No. It’s all my fault. I was so stupid. I ruined everything!” She practically yelled, raising her gaze to meet her mother’s reflection. It was almost like looking in a calm pool of water. They looked so alike.

“I’m sorry for leaving. I was afraid to come home because.. I thought you would be mad at me. And then.. I got lost, and I was sick, and…” She babbled. ”.. it.. it was so awful….”

Support. Family. Talking. Kalea wondered if they really could start over just like that. She gulped hard, but looked into her mother’s mismatched eyes. “I want that, too.”

Feb 05, 2019 07:23 PM — Post #9

Name Player
Yuna Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper

Though her face was no longer pressed in Kalea’s fur, Yuna made sure to keep her body close, one paw still touching her as well. It weasn’t at all cold, thankfully, because underweight wolves felt chills more. But she didn’t want the contact for the purposes of warming her daughter physically - just emotionally.

“It’s not your fault Kalea.” Yuna’s eyes were still awash with tears as her heart broke for her baby girl. “None of it. Not your father dying or how you felt about it. I could carry on after Tidus because I had you three to look after, but you didn’t even have the happy memories I did to help you through things. That isn’t being stupid, not at all.” She sniffed, and tried to control her own raging emotions in that minute. It was so difficult, she had to gulp and cuddle her head back into Kalea’s for a minute.

At length, she managed to keep going. “I’m not mad at you. It’ll be all right now. You won’t be alone, Kalea.  I promise you - if you come home, you’ll never be alone. I’ll listen to you, properly. I’ll support you. You’ll always be my beautiful soul, Sunflower.”

Feb 05, 2019 07:38 PM — Post #10

Name Player
Kalea Nami Bear
Achievements (?)
None yet!

She couldn’t stop crying, but at least now the tears were slow and warm against her cheeks. Her little hiccups and sobs subsided, and she tried to catch her breathing. The comfort of touch and the reassuring words made Kalea feel loved. Momma didn’t blame her, didn’t think she was stupid or overemotional. The relief made her want to sob all over again, but she resisted.

Still, despite how awful learning of her father’s passing was, she should have returned home. She knew that now. “I should have come right back. I meant to.. I really did.. but..” She could hardly go on. Kalea’s heart was so heavy with her guilt. A guilt she would carry with her forever. The only restitution would be to make her Momma as happy as she could, however she could.

If you come home. The fact that it was an option, and not.. a demand.. Kalea couldn’t believe her mother loved her so much she would let her stay out here, alone, if she really wanted to. “Am I really allowed to come home?” She asked, eyes wide.

Feb 06, 2019 09:03 AM — Post #11

Name Player
Yuna Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper

Yuna busied herself trying to help clean Kalea’s cheeks with gently licks, smoothy down the bushy tufts of fur where her neck ruff framed her face. Kalea might have inherited Yuna’s colouration, but not the ultra-fine, silky textured fur she herself had. Kalea had her father’s fluffiness. 

“I wish you had.” Yuna agreed, trying to liver up to her earlier words - not to hold back anymore, not to hide things from her daughter. “But all the wishing in the world can’t change the past. The stars have brought us back together, Kalea. They’ve still watched over you away from home.” She nuzzled her puppy, her beautiful grown up puppy. “It’s not going to be easy, not every step of the way. But I’ll be with you. Even… even if you choose not to rejoin the Tribe. If you want to explore and travel again… I meant it, Kalea. I’ll support you. As long as- you come and visit. I’ve missed you so much, my beautiful girl.” She rubbed her face on her leg to try and dash away some of her fresh tears.

Feb 06, 2019 09:23 AM — Post #12

Name Player
Kalea Nami Bear
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Kalea was lucky in a way, being in such bad shape. Her normal healthy coat would be so unbearable in summer. Once she gained back all the weight she’d lost, grew in to her body a little more.. her fur would be just as fluffy as Tidus.

Being groomed made her absolutely feel like a tiny child again. She didn’t move; merely she just allowed herself to be cleaned. Momma needed this just as much as she did, Kalea realized.

“I.. I.. don’t want to be alone, anymore.” She squeaked. “I miss you, and my sisters, and.. everyone. I’ll try to be better, and.. to talk about everything. I wanna come home.”

The hard part; her voice wavered. Being honest was so difficult. “And-” She choked on the sentence, but forced it out. “And.. if I ever need to leave again… I.. I’ll tell you first. A-and visit.”

Right now, she didn’t want to leave. However, Kalea knew there was a whole world beyond the beach. Eventually.. she may want to see the rest of it.

Feb 06, 2019 09:49 AM — Post #13

Name Player
Yuna Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper

Thank the stars above. Kalea wanted to come home. No more days of worrying she had died, or was ill… Yuna knew of course, she might leave in the future, even before Kalea confirmed she might do so.

But she could ensure her baby girl was fitter, healthier, better able to cope with the world at large. She could be a part of the Tribe, and at least when she was on the beach, the protection that afforded.

“They miss you, as well. There are some things I need to tell you, and I want to hear all about where you’ve been, but we can talk on the way home. Just look what a hunter you’ve become.” Her gaze went to the rabbit Kalea had dropped, she rose with obvious reluctance from her side to fetch it and set it in front of her with a proud look.

She wasn’t quick to assume Kalea simply hadn’t been eating and that was why she was underweight now. Everyone had assumed that for Yuna over winter, when in fact she had been eating - but stress had simply edged away her already meager reserves of energy.

She lay right back down beside her daughter. “Just like your father. He was so swift chasing down land prey.” Yuna had never gotten the knack for it herself. 

Feb 06, 2019 05:42 PM — Post #14

Name Player
Kalea Nami Bear
Achievements (?)
None yet!

“That sounds good.” In her mind, she knew her mother didn’t want to know the full details of her time away from home. Kalea truthfully didn’t remember the first few months, anyways. She was so sick and confused and lost, she wandered without any direction..

The rabbit. Kalea had forgotten it entirely. The little thing was tiny, not full grown, and probably not well to begin with. But it did give her a little chase, and she managed alright. Like always, Kalea really didn’t need much food. She rarely felt hunger. It was a permanent ache that she didn’t really care to deal with. “My friend.. she helped me learn to hunt better.” Kalea said. She was almost embarrassed about her meager catch. “I’m sure father would have found something much bigger.”

Feb 06, 2019 11:49 PM — Post #15

Showing page 1 of 2.

Please log in or register to reply to this thread.