Roleplay Forums | Map

Adoptable Suggestion!

Name Player
Atlas Stormborn Jade
Achievements (?)
1year 6mos 100ooc 100posts 250posts 500posts anniversary1 betatester helper lonelythreads ny2015 profile welcomeguide

So this is a thing I’ve been meaning to suggest for a while but never got around to it. Obviously I don’t expect staff to agree and implement it – but! I figure it’s worth a shot.

Basically, I think the process of handling adoptables would go a lot more smoothly if “auditions” were handled via PM. We already do this for pup auditions, so I don’t see why we don’t for normal adoptable characters.

For one, this would eliminate the public rejection aspect of the process. I can only speak for myself, but I don’t like having to turn people down – especially in front of everyone. I’ve only put up one adoptable (publicly, anyway) in the years that I’ve been here, and I was lucky enough that the first applicant was someone who I knew I could trust to be around for the foreseeable future and play the character well. However, I’ve been reluctant to place any more characters up for adoption because I’m afraid that I’ll get an applicant who isn’t the best fit in my opinion… and I’ll have to shoot them down. Or, you know, approve them anyway and deal with it. Which is not a good thing to do. Lol.

Making things private could improve for the opposite side of that situation, too. Again, speaking only for myself, but if I happened to audition for an adoptable, I’d rather do so in private so that if I get turned down it won’t be in front of everyone.

Handling things via PM would also circumvent the need for creating an audition account. Applicants could PM the player from an existing account, and if they’re chosen, then they could make an account for the character. Maybe an extra field could be added to the joining form so that staff would know if they need to remove an adoptable from the list. Like, “Is this character an adoptable: Yes/No.”

Just spit-ballin’ here~ :3

Mar 12, 2017 01:26 PM

[ ignore ]
[ Edited: Jun 01, 2017 03:05 PM by Rufus ]
Beauregard is currently Inactive. Activate? Inactive
Name Player
Beauregard Drew

I think this is a way cool idea. I know I’d be super picky about any character I adopted out and publicly denying someone would be very awkward for all involved.

Mar 12, 2017 01:54 PM — Post #1

[ permalink ]   [ ignore ]
Beauregard is currently Inactive. Activate? Inactive
Name Player
Beauregard Drew

Also, right now if someone gets rejected they’d have to…have staff change the name and delete the account? Awkward. Very much insult to injury, ha. Maybe just new players can publicly audition, since they need a brand new staff public RP sample anyway.

Mar 12, 2017 01:56 PM — Post #2

Name Player
Kamaal Kam
Achievements (?)
2mos 6mos 100ooc 100posts 250posts 500posts 1000posts otm profile

I support this; I think this is a wonderful idea and helps things move along smoother.

Mar 12, 2017 02:11 PM — Post #3

Name Player
Atlas Stormborn Jade
Achievements (?)
1year 6mos 100ooc 100posts 250posts 500posts anniversary1 betatester helper lonelythreads ny2015 profile welcomeguide

Ooh, you make a good point about newbies without an account yet. I didn’t think about that! Still, it’d be easy enough to do what you suggested: let them create an audition account if they don’t have an existing account and allow existing members to use an existing account.

But yes, I agree: I imagine having to get rid of your declined audition account is really gettin’ a kick when you’re down. Lol.

Edit: And thanks for the support, Kam~!

Mar 12, 2017 02:12 PM — Post #4

Elysium is currently Inactive. Activate? Inactive
Name Player
Elysium Kurome

I also support and love this idea! <3

Mar 12, 2017 02:26 PM — Post #5

Emmalynn is currently Inactive. Activate? Inactive
Name Player
Emmalynn Isabel

Yes! I support! 100%!

Mar 12, 2017 02:30 PM — Post #6

Valentina is currently Inactive. Activate? Inactive
Name Player
Valentina Costa Anna

i think this is cool! we’d have to figure out some details… but it could definitely work.

threw it into the our channel to discuss. :)

Mar 12, 2017 11:43 PM — Post #7

Name Player
Atlas Stormborn Jade
Achievements (?)

Sweet! :D Thanks for passing it up the chain of command. Lol.

Also, maybe in lieu of newbies creating an account just to audition for an adoptable (An account that they may later have to nuke in the case that they aren’t chosen), maybe the folks putting up adoptables could provide an e-mail address? Just a thought~

Mar 13, 2017 12:56 PM — Post #8

Name Player
Atlas Stormborn Jade
Achievements (?)

Since it’s been a couple of months, I figured I’d give this a gentle bump to find out if this is still on the table. No rush or anything, obviously! Just wondering if it’s still being discussed/still a possibility~ 8D

May 14, 2017 01:21 PM — Post #9

Bravo is currently Inactive. Activate? Inactive
Name Player
Bravo Vitnir Fao Staff

It’s being worked on. ;) <3

May 14, 2017 02:22 PM — Post #10

Rufus is currently Inactive. Activate? Inactive
Name Player
Rufus Raight Drew

Yes yes, literally just waiting for the changes to be made to the page. :D (Takes a special brand of admin.)

May 14, 2017 03:40 PM — Post #11

Name Player
Kaete Mekani
Achievements (?)
2mos profile

Only problem I would have with this is not knowing if someone else is applying for the same adoptable, since I might not want to put the effort into an audition if someone else already pretty much has it or a bunch of other people already applied so the chances are slim (this also bugged me with pup auditions). I guess you could just ask the person about it before applying though. It is a good point that rejection could be awkward

May 14, 2017 04:02 PM — Post #12

Rufus is currently Inactive. Activate? Inactive
Name Player
Rufus Raight Drew

I think that’s a fair concern! What I can say is that I’ve seen maybe…two times? Ever? Where people were applying for adoptables at the same time. Though maybe that’s because folks automatically don’t apply when they see someone else applying, but to me, that’s actually a problem because it artificially sort of takes the adoptable out of the adoption field just because another person is applying. When you’re adopting out a character, it rocks to have multiple folks to choose from!

Once an adopter is chosen, the adoption is usually processed pretty quickly, so hopefully no one will be applying only to find out the character is already being processed. I’ll keep an eye out for that going forward, and if it pops up, we can figure out a way to tackle it.

May 14, 2017 04:24 PM — Post #13

Name Player
Jay Allyn Vibe
Achievements (?)

I just happened to see this, and I know I am a bit late, but hopefully it’s alright if I comment here too. I like the idea of having adoptable characters auditions being done through PM. As, were it not for my having opted to first message a couple of users in the past about their listed characters, I wouldn’t have found out someone else had already expressed interest/been approved. If I’d done as it says and made accounts for the characters I was interested in, I’d have faced that dreaded ‘public rejection.’ Just throwing that out there, why I think it’s a good idea.

Also as a possible suggestion, maybe it could be recommended or required that new users first have an OC of their own, and possibly a small limit of 10 IC posts or something, before being eligible to adopt any character? Unless arrangements are worked out beforehand, as it’s ultimately the pperson who posted a character decision who gets to choose the one that plays them.

But anyway, this way, new members have an account so they can PM the member who listed a character. Then, the post count will show that the user has a bit of commitment to the site in order to reach the goal, and also gives examples of their RP style. So the one adopting out a character has a better idea if this user can fit their character or not. And that way, it hopefully means nobody would have to be worried about being publicly rejected.

May 14, 2017 08:05 PM — Post #14

Name Player
Bucky Rangers Chris Staff
Achievements (?)
helper otm profile

I like the ideas mentioned here! I know some people don’t want it known publicly why they’re applying for. I have definitely had more than one person interested in an adoptable at a time. A couple of mine had had three people asking about applying/considering applying and I know it got hard for me to keep track form convos in the cbox and not being sure if somebody had made an account to audition yet.

All we’d need is either, a thread I think for both the applier and the creator to post they’d agreed, or maybe just keep the same process but add an extra step that meant you contact the creator first, before putting in the actual app. Then the creator posts ‘approved’ as usual on the application then staff do :)

May 15, 2017 07:02 AM — Post #15

Showing page 1 of 1.

Please log in or register to reply to this thread.