Roleplay Forums | Map

and the rain’s gonna wash away, i believe this

Name Player
Chai Kelly Staff
Achievements (?)
1year 2mos 6mos 100ooc 100posts 250posts 500ooc anniversary1 betatester bugsuggestion lonelythreads ny2015 otm profile supporter tumblr welcomeguide wikicontributor

Everything felt like it was falling apart. She hadn’t seen Verin in days, and even when they were together, things just felt…off. There’d been no progress toward Eden. Part of her was ready to give up. To crawl back to the glen and reduce back into the shell of a wolf she’d once been there. It was easier being nothing, feeling nothing, when everything else around her was hopeless. Her family was shattered.

Somewhere along the hills, she’d found a small copse not unlike the one she’d once spent days healing in, and curled up, nose pressed tight against the fur at her tail. She didn’t want to ask the next stranger if they’d seen a black wolf with a silver mask and green eyes. Eyes like her father’s. She didn’t want to find that small glimmer of hope that kept her forward.

She was utterly done, exhausted of everything.

So curled up as she was, she simply existed, inhaling shallow, choked breaths into her fur as the sun sunk down the sky. She wasn’t breaking, not yet, but she was close. It was easier not worrying. It was selfish but it was easier.

Jun 06, 2017 01:32 AM

[ ignore ]
Ryd is currently Inactive. Activate? Inactive
Name Player
Ryd Hal

Right. Ryd was a fucking Cadre wolf again. Jeez.

Patrolling was important, so she got to patrols because that was really her favorite thing to do, and along the route she sort of slipped out of the borders because, well, she might as well just… check? Maybe there were trouble-makers trying to get to the lake again. Like Vagabond. Vagrant? No. Wait. Vandal. That guy.

Sunset settled, and Ryd was rounding back up through the bit of the hills she wandered into when she came to a small bit of trees along the way back to the grove. That and fresh wolf prints.

Interesting.

She padded towards the trees, sniffing her way around.

Jun 06, 2017 03:13 PM — Post #1

[ permalink ]   [ ignore ]
Sarah is currently Inactive. Activate? Inactive
Name Player
Sarah Cheyenne

Sarah sniffed at the ground, the scent of a wolf was thick, it was close. Her ears alert, her eyes searching, she moved with purpose, ready to fight or run if needed. She was hungry, food constantly muddled her thoughts.

Against, her better judgment, Sarah followed the scent of the wolf. At the very least, she could find out where she was. There in the shadows, a light ball of fur ruffled from a breath. Were it not for that, Sarah might have thought the wolf to be dead.

Light on her feet, she made her way closer, stopping every few steps to ensure they were alone.  A quiet whimper broke the silence, halting Sarah’s movement. “Are you hurt?” she asked.

Jun 06, 2017 04:19 PM — Post #2

Name Player
Chai Kelly Staff
Achievements (?)
1year 2mos 6mos 100ooc 100posts 250posts 500ooc anniversary1 betatester bugsuggestion lonelythreads ny2015 otm profile supporter tumblr welcomeguide wikicontributor

In truth, Chai hadn’t expected anyone to nose their way in her direction. She’d been curled up and avoiding the world, paying no attention to her surroundings until the voice broke through the void of her misery.

Her head shot up in an instant, eyes searching for the voice, the scent of perhaps more than one wolf catching her attentions. But there was only the one. Perhaps she’d carried along the scent of a friend. Whatever the case, she focused on the speaker.

“No, I’m okay,” she returned at first, still a little stunned by the unexpected arrival. There was something broken in her voice, despite the context. “Do you, uhm, live around here?” It was a silly question, but she wasn’t quite sure what else to say. If she had crossed some unmarked line, she would be happy to move along.

Jun 06, 2017 06:26 PM — Post #3

Name Player
Sarah Cheyenne

Sarah jumped back at the sudden movement of the wolf. Eyes, filled with sorrow, locked with hers. The question was surprising, perhaps she wasn’t the only one in unknown territory.

“Me? No, I was just passing through. You sure you’re okay?” She didn’t smell any blood, no fresh injury at least. But why the sadness? the whimpering? Who was this wolf?

“I take it, this isn’t your pack’s land?”

(sorry Ryd! I got too excited. Won’t happen again.)

Jun 06, 2017 07:29 PM — Post #4

[ Edited: Jun 06, 2017 07:57 PM by Sarah ]
Ryd is currently Inactive. Activate? Inactive
Name Player
Ryd Hal

(No worries! Since Ryd is currently chasing Sarah down in the other thread though, I’m going to pull her out of this one so timelines aren’t confusing xD)

Well, by the time she reached the copse, she heard voices, and she was admittedly pretty curious. Alas, she reminded herself, duty called. She had to get back to her patrol routes.

/exit

Jun 07, 2017 11:03 AM — Post #5

Name Player
Chai Kelly Staff
Achievements (?)

She’d regretted the question about as soon as she’d asked it, and the wolf’s reaction only had her sinking into herself more. Chai wasn’t normally the type to feel flustered over choice of words—talking to others had typically been something she enjoyed—but this particular bout of depression had her out of sorts. Which was apparently clear as day, if the prying girl was any confirmation.

Clearing her throat, she made a concentrated effort to stiffen up some, look less mopey. She’d never been one to place her problems on others. “I’ll be fine,” she returned at the start, throwing on a smile that didn’t quite reach her eyes.

It was the second question that had her ears swiveling back a bit because she didn’t really know how to answer. Her pack had been with the Brotherhood, but she doubted that offer was extended after all this time. She had no home to return to, no family, and the sinking thoughts kept on and on, her eyes losing focus for a moment.

“No, I’m from the glen,” she decided on, truthful as it was. “I don’t think anyone owns these lands, unless I’ve highly miscalculated things.” Wouldn’t that be the icing on the cake? Having been wandering through some poor pack’s territory uninvited. “My name’s Chai.”

Jun 07, 2017 12:47 PM — Post #6

Name Player
Sarah Cheyenne

Sarah couldn’t help but feel a little sorry for Chai. She was obviously upset, stating she was fine, but her demeanor said otherwise. For a moment, Sarah debated on simply moving on, is the current state of Chai one to be left alone? or was she in need of a friend, if only for a few minutes?

“Hi, Chai. I’m Sarah.” She looked around. Rustling leaves and chirping birds filled the quiet air. The soft breeze filtered through the trees, brushing against her fur. Her stomach rumbled. Food always on her mind. The scent of something else nearby caught her attention.

“I’m glad to hear this isn’t pack land. I’m going to try hunting for some food. Care to join me? I could use the company and I’ll share the spoils,” she said, with a small smile. 

Whether Chai wanted to or not, didn’t matter much to Sarah, but having a second wolf to hunt with would increase her chances of eating today. Plus, perhaps some friendly companionship would help Chai too.

Jun 07, 2017 12:59 PM — Post #7

Name Player
Chai Kelly Staff
Achievements (?)

Sarah. Chai noted the name away, uncurling a bit from the ball she’s wound up into. It had become more or less second nature to parse out when a wolf was hanging around because they pitied her, but she didn’t let the assumption mar her features. It wasn’t malice that brought the effort forth, though it often felt a wasted effort. Were she in a better state of mind, she might have appreciated it.

Still, it was what it was.

“I could use the distraction,” she offered, not really all that hungry but too kind to turn the offer down despite wanting to be left to her own despair. “What’d you have in mind?” It had almost become a common practice, the art of keeping Chai away from herself, but she supposed it was for the best.

The less time she spent in her head, the better, at the end of the day, despite where her instinct drew her. She didn’t want to drag herself a soppy mess back to Verin in a few days.

Jun 07, 2017 11:30 PM — Post #8

Name Player
Sarah Cheyenne

Sarah’s tail wagged. She hadn’t hunted with another wolf in a while, and she missed the comradery. Plus this way, they might be able to get something larger than a rabbit.

“hmm, I’m not sure. What’s around here to eat?” Her eyes danced in the light, excitement already rushing through her.

Jun 08, 2017 11:19 AM — Post #9

Name Player
Chai Kelly Staff
Achievements (?)

After a moment, Chai lifted up from where she’d been resting, shaking out her coat some in the process. Game much larger than rabbit wasn’t entirely common around the hills, beyond horse, but the passing mule deer made their way along the fringes of the forest line. They were close enough that it wouldn’t be a terrible trek to sniff around in that direction.

“Mule deer tend to stick to the forest to the north, but I bet we can sniff out some straggling grazers.” She nosed the direction of the forest, taking a few cautioned steps out of the copse. “If you’re up for that.”

Jun 08, 2017 11:54 AM — Post #10

Name Player
Sarah Cheyenne

Sarah fought to hide her smile. Mule deer sounded great! “Yeah. That way?” She asked, pointing her nose towards where Chai had looked.

Her gaze was distant for a moment, thinking about hunting. Her nose lifted to the sky as a breeze swept past. Her nose twitched in the cooler air, picking up scents of various plants and trees around her, nearly covered a subtle hint of deer. Her ears perked up, her eyes focused. It was a ways away, but there.

“What about you? You up for it? I know you were resting, I didn’t mean to force you, just thought you could use the company.” she asked, her voice soft. Chai reminded her of a wolf from her lost pack. There was always a far-off look in her eyes, like something weighed heavily on her mind. Sometimes, the best thing to do, was to give her space; while others, a gentle nudge pulled her out of her shell and she saw the light in the world again. If only for a little bit.

Jun 08, 2017 12:15 PM — Post #11

Name Player
Chai Kelly Staff
Achievements (?)

“That way,” she concurred.

As Sarah took to the breeze, Chai did the same, sifting through the night air. The hills smelled much the same as they always did, but a little further north and they’d be able to get a better trail, she was certain.

At the wolf’s questions, she offered a small smile, nodding. “You’re fine. If I hadn’t wanted to engage, I could have very well ignored you. Let’s go track down some deer. I appreciate the kindness.” It wasn’t a lie. She always appreciated it, even when she’d rather be a shell of a wolf. There’d be time yet. For now at least she could find purpose in helping feed a wolf.

So with a nod and a soft smile, she pushed out of the copse in full, past Sarah and toward the trees in the far distance, nose to the wind.

Jun 08, 2017 12:37 PM — Post #12

Name Player
Sarah Cheyenne

Sarah followed Chai’s lead. The promise of a hunt and a full belly made her feel like a pup again. She couldn’t contain the smile on her face and excitement in her voice.

“So, I take it you’re not part of a pack?” She asked, sniffing at the ground from time to time.

She wasn’t sure, but Chai looked to be the same age as Sarah, though she was a bit smaller and thin. Though Sarah doubted she looked much better. She hadn’t missed the thinness of her own stomach over the last few weeks. With Winter coming, she needed to eat often and get herself back to her proper weight. A big round belly and thick fur would help protect her and get her through the harsh winter.

They both needed a good kill.

Jun 08, 2017 01:26 PM — Post #13

Name Player
Chai Kelly Staff
Achievements (?)

Light conversation was nice, though it was drudging up things she’d have preferred to keep to herself. Chai let out a sigh at the wolf’s question, not out of frustration as much as her own sorrows, eyeing her from the side as she did.

“I am…was a part of the Firewing Brotherhood in the glen.” A founding member, though she wasn’t so conceited as to add that bit in. “But I left to search for my daughter who’s been missing for some time now.” Hopefully that spoke some to her condition, though she wondered if the wolf would pry more.

She nosed at the ground some, pausing when she spotted freshly upturned grass in the soft earth. “Shouldn’t be too far from here,” she murmured, lifting her gaze to the distance. Nothing in view, but the closer they drew to the trees, the better the chances were of spotting something.

Jun 08, 2017 01:50 PM — Post #14

Name Player
Sarah Cheyenne

Sarah’s ears turned back for a moment, hearing the pain in Chai’s voice. Her daughter was missing? Sarah understood the pain that caused, still trying to heal from her own loss.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to pry.” She’d have to remember the name. Firewing Brotherhood lived in the glen. She wondered how far that was from here.

Watching Chai sniff at the ground, Sarah looked ahead. There was a wafting scent in the air again. They were getting closer to the deer. She sauntered ahead, watching for movement ahead, keeping her paws light and head slightly low.

Jun 08, 2017 02:43 PM — Post #15

Showing page 1 of 2.

Please log in or register to reply to this thread.