Roleplay Forums | Map

Unlikely
[summons] Evergreen Forest, west | Early Winter | Mid-Morning | Thickening cloud cover | Howling for "Grampa"

Name Player
Sunfall Chris the Rebel Wolf
Achievements (?)
helper

Sunfall had come to realize something, now he’d had a chance to go over last week’s pack meeting in his mind, trying to work things out and coming to a certain realization. Not all the goodbyes he wanted to say before he left were to Union wolves. And so here was here in the Evergreen forest’s western regions, not tracking down angry lynxes or fleeing from anybody this time around.

He still didn’t think this place was as attractive as the Labyrinth. But maybe that was just because he knew the trails and the places to duck or jump so well now. Familiarity would always linger in the northwest woods. Who would have thought he’d helped start a pack and be set to leave it a few short months later?

He paused, never one to linger too long in the past. Tilting his chin up, he released a howl.

And sat down to see who showed up.

Jul 10, 2017 07:16 AM

[ ignore ]
Name Player
Mari Hal
Achievements (?)
1year 2mos 6mos 100ooc 100posts 250posts 500posts 1000posts artist bugsuggestion helper lonelythreads otm plotreporter profile supporter tumblr welcomeguide

Every day, a little more.

If Mari was being honest with herself, perhaps she would say that she was being overly careful. But she’d made her way to just the start of the trees, pacing a slow plod. She wanted Rufus home. She wanted to surprise him with what she’d accomplished. She wanted to nestle into him and feel warm.

It had been only days, but it felt far… far longer.

Eating was always a tricky thing when she was worried. She had done her best to overcome her aversion to the cache, for his sake. She didn’t want a repeat of when he’d gone to see Valentina. She didn’t want… to greet him any weaker than he knew her to be.

Still, it was slowly not enough for a wolf in winter, and Mari’s head bobbed and swayed a little too familiarly with every step she took.

At the very least, her ears still worked. There was a howl past the borders, and to the west. She turned her head, listening. It wasn’t Rufus. Some other wolf, male. Blinking slowly, she… sent off a small howl back. It did not last long. It was not a strong or proud wolf’s howl. But she’d heard. Responded. And now, still within the safety of the borders, she waited. Mari knew better than to go out alone.

Jul 10, 2017 09:16 AM — Post #1

[ permalink ]   [ ignore ]
Name Player
Achievements (?)
helper

There was a nervous sounding answer. Sunfall pricked up his ears to see if anybody was coming, but when nobody appeared he picked his way through the trees in the direction of the border.

He paused when he was closer, squinting through the trees. The forest got dim under the cover of heavy clouds. “Hey Mari, that you?” He called, not quite certain of the small figure at this distance. He knew better than to venture over the borders, having his doubts he was really welcome here anymore. That was okay though. He had no wish to join anything, not after the Union’s fall, and was only here to say a goodbye then head back to Saski.

Jul 12, 2017 05:49 AM — Post #2

Name Player
Mari Hal
Achievements (?)
1year 2mos 6mos 100ooc 100posts 250posts 500posts 1000posts artist bugsuggestion helper lonelythreads otm plotreporter profile supporter tumblr welcomeguide

The one that approached was not one she would call welcome. Not after the things he apparently said to Rufus. And Mari still felt.. unsafe. He tried to kill over a rumor. Not threatened to, in the heat of passion and anger, as Rufus had. He actually tried to kill the wolf and had to be stopped.

Still, Mari was in her home. She refused to let herself show fear. One single call and ten wolves would rally to her, she knew.

She leaned her body lightly against a tree.

“Sunfall,” she answered, keeping her tone… calm. “What brings you here?”

Jul 12, 2017 08:45 AM — Post #3

Name Player
Achievements (?)
helper

Yep, that was Mari, he confirmed once she called his name. She had herself tucked against a tree like she needed protecting from him. He felt like sighing. It was going to be like this every time he came near the Evergreens, so maybe it was better he not to be allies with them anymore. He wouldn’t have to come back to this forest once they got to traveling.

He would miss seeing Solomon again though. He’d kinda enjoyed being neighbors with the old man. And he ought to know how much he’d unintentionally helped Sunfall.

“Hey Mari. Just wanting to know if Solomon is around.” He stayed where he was, tone casual.

Jul 12, 2017 09:15 AM — Post #4

Name Player
Mari Hal
Achievements (?)

Mari was not actually tucked or looking frightful or anything, because she was in her home and she was confident she had the protection of the pack and all that stuff mentioned earlier. Just leaning against the tree because her body was still something frail.

“He’s probably patrolling,” she answered, because Solomon often did that, especially in Rufus’ absence. “I can pass a message to him, if you want.”

Jul 13, 2017 06:59 AM — Post #5

Name Player
Achievements (?)
helper

Sunfall felt a bit like he was being put off, but he wasn’t going to press the issue with somebody he got the distinct feeling didn’t trust him. Mari wasn’t the only one who didn’t, and he’d better get used to it.

“Nah, don’t sweat it, I’ll catch him another time. Thanks though.” He nodded and turned to head back the way he’d come.

((Exit unless stopped))

Jul 13, 2017 08:34 AM — Post #6

Name Player
Mari Hal
Achievements (?)

Oh boy, she would stop him. By calling out.

“Why can’t you tell me? He’s my Kin, I wouldn’t hide anything from him.”

Or did Sunfall have less than good intentions?

Jul 13, 2017 07:32 PM — Post #7

Name Player
Achievements (?)
helper

Sunfall stopped, exhaling through his nose to contain his annoyance. What was her problem? Did being mated to a pack leader turn you into a busybody, did it?

He turned to look over his shoulder, speaking evenly. He hadn’t come here to pick any fights. “Because it’s personal stuff, Mari. He helped me out with something important, though he didn’t mean to. Wanted to tell him why it mattered to me. Call me old fashioned but I think that’s the kinda thing that needs to be spoken face to face, not passed along from person to person.” She might not even consider his message important enough to pass along. And if she wasn’t going to help him call Solomon, he had no further reason to stay. 

Jul 13, 2017 10:56 PM — Post #8

Name Player
Mari Hal
Achievements (?)

Well, his friendly demeanor had certainly fell away. She felt herself bristle, moving from against the support of the tree to standing on her own legs.

This worked two ways, Sunfall, and she spoke evenly in kind to his mild condescension.

“Call me protective, but I think I have a right to know why an attempted killer wants to talk to our Advisor. You’re welcome to stay and wait for him to come around, but you will not meet him alone.”

There, it was out. And Mari didn’t fucking feel like dealing with attitude from a wolf who stomped all over the memories of their dead with his ‘shit happens’ attitude.

Such bravery from a tiny, broken wolf close to the borders of her pack. But Mari had her moments, and apparently this was one of them.

Jul 14, 2017 02:31 PM — Post #9

Name Player
Achievements (?)
helper

So yeah, she was a busybody, and it was because she thought he was a killer. He didn’t mind that so much, but he hated the double standard. How many of the evil bastards that had come around her pack had she helped dispatch? But when it was him and his family she took offense.

She was being a hypocritical bitch.

He wasn’t quite dumb enough to tell her that because doubtless it’d get him killed.

He turned around, but he didn’t go back, in case she felt like setting her dogs on him after all. “I’m not ashamed of my actions, Mari. Somebody who tried set me up to die, tortured my sister in law and start a war between packs, I’ll kill them, no problem. Why would you think I’d attack a great guy like Sol because I’m ready to defend the people I care about? Isn’t that exactly what your pack have had to do?”

Who was she to judge him? 

Jul 14, 2017 06:51 PM — Post #10

Name Player
Mari Hal
Achievements (?)

His response was not expected, but that was not the story Yuna had told her, and frankly, she was more inclined to believe a healer than some pompously murderous wolf with a grudge and an unstable temper.

Yuna hadn’t mentioned torture. She’d seemed mildly disturbed and nothing more.

“I don’t know, Sunfall. All I know is every single wolf involved in this, Yuna included, has a totally different version of this story. But I and my pack can all agree that we have been through enough pain and loss, and I won’t take any more chances.”

Telling how it was so imperative that he meet Solomon without a third party present. It didn’t help her mistrust of him.

Jul 14, 2017 07:10 PM — Post #11

Name Player
Achievements (?)
helper

She didn’t know, but she was quite okay with judging him anyway. He’d had enough of her being a two-faced cow to him. He had a good life now and he didn’t need her bringing him down.

“I didn’t come here to cause any pain or loss, just thank a friend. But I guess you have no reason to believe that anyway.” He smiled sadly and turned away from her, breaking into a trot to head back to more welcoming places. He couldn’t believe how wrong he’d been about this pack. He’d probably never see Solomon again now, and he felt a flash of regret for that. 

And to think he’d sent that girl in the desert here telling her the Evergreens were welcoming and friendly. He wouldn’t make that mistake again - he’d be telling anyone who asked the opposite.

((Attempted exit))

Jul 14, 2017 08:02 PM — Post #12

Name Player
Mari Hal
Achievements (?)

Had he hit his head? “Did you not hear me past all that self pity?” she called, frustrated. She said quite clearly he could meet Solomon. Just not alone.  And then he made her explain her reason why and then tried to run off with some stupid sob line? What the hell.

And Mari thought she had problems.

Jul 14, 2017 08:12 PM — Post #13

Name Player
Achievements (?)
helper

Sunfall heard her holler something after him, but he only caught a word or two, and he found he didn’t really care to turn back for the rest, didn’t care to hear any more of her accusations and judgements.

Always able to readily switch moods, he was already putting Mari out of his mind, thinking of Saski instead, picturing spending a few days alone with her in the Labyrinth before they headed off on their next adventure together.

((He’s out))

Jul 14, 2017 09:07 PM — Post #14

Showing page 1 of 1.

Please log in or register to reply to this thread.