Roleplay Forums | Map

This body was not built to fly. It was barely built to run
Cyclone | Windy, snowing | Verdant Hills

Brianna is currently Inactive. Activate? Inactive
Name Player
Brianna Gabriel Lucas

She was so, so cold.

Brianna’s entire body trembled. Her thinner fur wasn’t made to withstand that kind of wind; snow fell heavy, clouding her vision with white. Frankly, she was a little scared. She was trying, she really, really was, promise, to find somewhere to shelter herself, but there was nothing so far. Her heart beat against the walls of her ribcage like a frightened animal trying to escape- her ears were drawn back, tail hitting against the inside of her leg. She was probably making it out to be more of an issue than it actually was, but she couldn’t help it. Brianna had never seen a cyclone before.

A piece of debris fell next to her- Brianna yelped in surprise, jumping to face it. Oh, no no no. She had no idea what she was doing.

Aug 04, 2017 07:16 AM

[ ignore ]
Name Player
Senna Selwyn windy
Achievements (?)
None yet!

She may just be a child, but she was a mountain child, and she knew a storm coming when she saw one. There hadn’t been much time, but Senna had managed to hollow out some space beneath one of the scrubby bushes that dotted the hills, thanks to the superior digging skills bestowed upon her by the Teacher of the Hills and Digging Extraordinaire himself, Nanook Himura. As soon as she’d settled herself into her meager shelter, the swirling snow began to gather on her hindquarters and back. No matter. The girl had arctic genetics; she slept under the snow all the time.

Something caught her apple-green gaze before she let her eyes blink shut. A small wolf, staggering across the hills. In a cyclone. Without thinking, the child sent a high pitched, summoning bark to her. Crap, what if there isn’t room? No, don’t think that way, Senna. There would be room—the stranger didn’t seem that large. They would just have to get really, really close. At least it would be warmer, with another body in here. Senna barked again, in case the wolf didn’t see her. She would continue barking, leading the stranger toward safety with her voice, until the other wolf found her.

Aug 04, 2017 08:42 AM — Post #1

[ permalink ]   [ ignore ]
Name Player
Brianna Gabriel Lucas

And then there, over the sound, there was a bark.

At first, she thought she imagined it. Who would be out there in this weather? No one could be as stupid as her. But then came another bark; Brianna froze. In a blur, she spun around, eyes searching for the source of the bark in desperation- there. It was coming from there.

Trying to drown down a whimper, Brianna straggered towards it. “Hello?”, she called out hesitantly, sniffing at the air, but the wind was making it hard for her to find the exact source of the sound.

Aug 04, 2017 08:54 AM — Post #2

Name Player
Senna Selwyn windy
Achievements (?)
None yet!

A sort of timid, female voice called out questioningly. Senna, with her pale complexion, would be practically invisible beneath a bush with a layer of snow already formed on top of her. Especially if the wolf trying to find her was squinting through the swirling snows of a cyclone. The girl stood, and the powdery snow cascaded from her spine and hindquarters. The bush lurched as her spine pushed up against its lower branches. She barked again.

“C’mon, get in!” she called, voice a little strained. It was uncomfortable standing in the cramped space under the bush, with the protesting branches pushing uncompromisingly against her spine.  Now that the woman was closer, Senna could see that she was older, but perhaps smaller, than herself. She was certainly skinnier. On another day Senna might have envied the woman’s pretty, delicate frame, but it was undeniable that her own body would be superior in a storm like this. A small ember of pride flickered within the girl.

Aug 04, 2017 09:12 AM — Post #3

Name Player
Brianna Gabriel Lucas

Oh, thank god! Brianna almost lunged into the shelter of the bush, but hesitated. Should she really go in there and make the other girl share her shelter?

Thunder rumbled overhead, and Brianna jumped. Yes, yes she should.

This time, she wasn’t able to contain her whimper as she lunged forward. The other girl was young, a pup still, and Brianna sent a silent hank you to the gods above for the little one’s kind heart. And then she was in, trembling from the cold, but safe from the cyclone up ahead. Eyes wide in dismay, round as moons, she turned to the pale wolf, obvious relief in her gaze.

“Thank you”, she breathed out, nothing if not greatfully.

Aug 04, 2017 09:29 AM — Post #4

Name Player
Senna Selwyn windy
Achievements (?)
None yet!

The woman hesitated, and Senna almost roared in exasperation, Do you want to be SHY or do you want to be ALIVE?! Senna was not a patient girl, and this bush was heavy. Thankfully, the woman only took a fraction of a second to make her decision, spurred forward by a booming clap of thunder. Senna circled around the woman as she wriggled into the shallow burrow, so that the stranger was in the most protected position against the trunk of the bush. Senna would lay with her back toward the open side, sheltering both of them. She would hardly notice the cold, and besides, it would only be chilly for an hour or so. After the snow had buried them, it would keep them warm, two strangers snuggled up together in a makeshift igloo. Senna didn’t know why snow worked that way, only that it did.

“Thank you,” Senna returned enthusiastically. She was in a position to help someone else for once, and it was making her feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  She was a nice, charitable person, and for right now at least, she was not the helpless one. She continued,“It’ll be warmer in here now, with you here, Miss, uhhm..” It seemed almost comical to be exchanging names when they were wrapped so closely against one another.

Aug 04, 2017 09:41 AM — Post #5

Name Player
Brianna Gabriel Lucas

She had already said it out loud, but in her head Brianna continued to chant. Thank you, thank you. That had been terrifying. Was it some sort of storm? A great one, that was for sure. She could still feel her heart thundering inside her chest

It took her probably a bit more than it should have to realise the girl was waiting for her name. “Brianna”, she stuttered quickly, embarrassment burning under her pelt. Oh, what would she have done without this girl? She didn’t even want to consider it. She had half a mind to start licking her chin in gratitude.

Aug 04, 2017 09:50 AM — Post #6

Name Player
Senna Selwyn windy
Achievements (?)
None yet!

“That’s pretty!” Senna complimented, still feeling charitable. It was easy to be nice when you were the one doing the helping, for once. No wonder Elliot had been so nice to her, even though Wayfarer claimed he had a (very, very) dark side. No wonder Wayfarer had been nice to her too, even though she had growled at him. A lot. And not been very grateful.

“Senna Selwyn,” the girl returned. She noticed that the woman had said her name with sort of a stutter—was she still cold? Shivering? Senna pressed closer to her, resting her chin on the woman’s back. It would be silly to try to maintain personal space, anyway.

“Brianna..?” Senna started, tone questioning, and a little apologetic. As if she were about to ask the girl to do a favor for her. Which she sort of was. “You’re like.. a year old right? Two, maybe..?” The question held the same hesitant tone, indicating that was not her actual question, just a sort of opener.

Aug 04, 2017 10:07 AM — Post #7

Name Player
Brianna Gabriel Lucas

Oh she was so, so sweet. A shy smile made its way on Brianna’s face; she turned her face away as best as she could to hide her embarrassement. Too sweet. She had gotten so lucky.

Senna… “That’s a really pretty name…”, she said gently, words drifting, and she would have probably said more had Senna not laid her chin on her. Ah, there went her silly heart again. She wasn’t used to physical contact, but the young one seemed comfortable enough. Besides, the space was so cramped… They’d do well huddling together.

Senna’s next words came as a surprise. She tried to look at her, but only got a glimpse of her ear in their current position. Brianna begun to nod, before realising Senna wouldn’t be able to see her. “I’m somewhere inbetween.”

Aug 04, 2017 10:39 AM — Post #8

Name Player
Senna Selwyn windy
Achievements (?)
None yet!

The woman returned the compliment, and Senna beamed. Pretty wasn’t usually her favorite adjective to describe herself (she preferred strong or fierce), but it was okay if someone wanted to say her name was pretty. She supposed it was, kind of.

Somewhere in between a year and two. That was perfect! She was young enough that she wouldn’t get all condescending (probably), and old enough that she might be able to offer some deeper insight into Senna’s very tangled situation.

“Okay, yeah..” Senna continued, taking a deep breath to try to figure out where to start. “See, all this stuff happened to me, and I don’t really understand all of it, but maybe you would? Stuff with someone I thought I could trust, but now I’m not sure. But I’m sort of in his pack thing now, so.. I don’t know what to do.”

There was no way Brianna was following this. She would have to start from the beginning. Another deep breath. “Ah… should I just tell you the whole story, or…?” If Brianna wasn’t interested in having the pup’s problems dumped all over her, she better speak now.

Aug 04, 2017 10:58 AM — Post #9

Name Player
Brianna Gabriel Lucas

A pack! Her heartbeat accelerated again. Oh, a pack. It had been such a long time since she’d been in a pack… Was Senna’s pack nice? Where did they live? How was their leader? Questions threatened to overflow and fall out her mouth, and Brianna bit her tongue. Clearly, that hadn’t been Senna’s point. Well.. at least she thought it hadn’t been. Frankly, she didn’t fully understand.

Oh. Um.. she wasn’t very good at giving advice. She was a good listener, though, and she knew to stay quiet. So Brianna gave a tiny nod, again forgetting Senna wouldn’t really be able to see her.

“You can if you want to, miss Senna”, she finally replied, in a gentle tone.

Aug 04, 2017 11:27 AM — Post #10

Name Player
Senna Selwyn windy
Achievements (?)
None yet!

With her chin on the woman’s back, Senna could feel Brianna’s heartbeat accelerate. Odd.. had she said something that excited the woman? Or scared her? Maybe she had experience with broken trust. If so, Senna was even more convinced that this was the exact person who could help her with her problems. Deep breath.

“Okay, so I met this man here in these hills. A king, he said he was. King Elliot Daniels. He was really nice to me and said he would teach me to fight. He said he was in love with this woman I know, Eden, and that she was gonna be his queen someday after he rescued her. I like Eden and everything, and he was so nice, so I said I would go with him to The Kingdom…”

She paused, trying to figure out how to tell this next part. It had been so confusing.

“But we ran into this other guy, Wayfarer, who said King Elliot was really bad.. that he tried to, umm…” Senna shifted uncomfortably. ”...that he tried to rape his mom. And he wanted to rape Eden too. And that he threatened Wayfarer’s pups…”

Senna swallowed. “After Wayfarer was gone, King Elliot told me he didn’t hurt his mom. That he .. he was in love with her. And Eden Both.” Senna’s nose wrinkled. “But he’s also having pups with two other females in the Kingdom.”  That was not how love was supposed to work, right?

“King Elliot’s been really nice to me, but… Wayfarer was nice to me too.  I don’t know what to think about the king, or who to believe…”  Senna let the story trail off. That was the gist of it all, anyway. She waited for Brianna’s reaction.

Aug 04, 2017 12:15 PM — Post #11

Name Player
Brianna Gabriel Lucas

Oh… Oh, um…

A soft frown painted Brianna’s features. Well… that didn’t make sense to her. Were all those people part of the same Kingdom? She didn’t understand. She was sure that when you joined a pack, you were also supposed to follow its leader’s orders no matter what. After all, a leader’s word was law.

Her frown deepened.

“A king’s a king”, she begun very gently, hesitantly. “Don’t kings do what they want in their kingdom?”

Aug 04, 2017 12:37 PM — Post #12

Name Player
Senna Selwyn windy
Achievements (?)
None yet!

“I… guess..” Senna agreed, a little hesitantly. “But.. isn’t royalty supposed to be, um.. like, noble? Like.. in the stories?” She was probably sounding like a stupid child with her silly bedtime stories, but oh well. Brianna was a stranger, and would likely go her separate way after the storm was through. No need to try to impress her.

“And what about all that stuff about being in love with two people… with.. his mother.. but having all those pups…” Gosh, it was getting warm in here already. “I just, I don’t.. is that.. how love really works? His mother...”

Aug 04, 2017 12:43 PM — Post #13

Name Player
Brianna Gabriel Lucas

“I don’t know”, Brianna replied honestly. “I’ve never… met royalty.”

For a reason she couldn’t pinpoint, she suddenly felt guilty. Maybe because she couldn’t be more helpful to the wolf who had helped her? Brianna shifted uncomfortably, looking down at her paws. Outside, the storm raged on, but snow had begun to cover them. The sound wasn’t so loud anymore.

Being in love with your mother… it didn’t seem right to her. But it wasn’t her place to pass judgement on Kings. Surely, they knew better, right?

“Maybe… Maybe not all kings work in ways we like, but… they’re still kings, right? And… they should be obeyed, right?” She was unsure, and it was obvious in her voice.

Aug 04, 2017 12:50 PM — Post #14

Name Player
Senna Selwyn windy
Achievements (?)
None yet!

What? This wasn’t helping her. It was only making her more confused. Senna thought she understood right and wrong, like black and white, and here this wolf was essentially telling her that right and wrong didn’t exist. Or rather, that right was simply whatever the king said, and wrong was disobeying him. But what if the king wasn’t a noble king? What if he wasn’t trustworthy? What if he was lying about even being royalty?!

“So.. you’re telling me, if you were in his kingdom, and he asked you to have his pups, even though he loved different people and was already having pups with different people.. you would still do it? And you wouldn’t think that was wrong?” There was obvious disbelief in Senna’s voice. No one would ever agree to that. No one sane. Right?

“What if.. what if he made you a promise? And your loyalty was based on him making good on that promise? But Wayfarer said he wasn’t trustworthy, that the king wasn’t going to keep his promise. Should the king have your loyalty then? Should you still obey him, even if you think what he’s doing is wrong, and he might break your promise?”

Aug 04, 2017 01:00 PM — Post #15

Showing page 1 of 2.

Please log in or register to reply to this thread.