Roleplay Forums | Map

once again
[summons] White Geysers, Mid Winter | Summons for Verin

Name Player
Myatuk Darm Katie
Achievements (?)
1year 2mos 6mos anniversary1 artist profile

There was something a little eerie about the dull gray color of the sky that morning. Myatuk supposed that they were halfway through the winter, and the valley certainly showed it. Snow was packed thick on the ground, hiding any evidence of earth far below it. It had a tendency to twinkle in a pleasant way, almost like the stars, when the sun decided to come out, but today wasn’t one of those days. Instead, thick clouds covered the normally blue sky, threatening snow, but never following through on that promise. The chill in the air cut to the core, but the rise and fall of the steam in the geysers seemed to warm the area up.

A month had passed since their family meeting, and it seemed nothing had changed. Loren still had not returned, and Myatuk feared for his safety more than she ever had. The little family, frozen by the fact that none of them felt comfortable leaving without Loren, had remained in the Evergreen Forest. While things had a little bit of a sense of uncomfortableness, it was far more normal than it had been in a long time, and for that, Myatuk was grateful.

In an effort to begin scouting out areas that they could potentially go, Myatuk had made several trips to the edge of the forest near the white geysers that she had become oddly fond of. Perhaps simply because they were a nice break from the monotony of the green trees that had surrounded them for the last few months. Or perhaps because it was easier to see the horizon in the distance, and easier then to hope that there was a life for them beyond this valley.

Whatever it was, it gave Mya a sense of purpose, and a sense of hope- something she hadn’t had in a long time.

But there was something else, too. Things with Verin had been far better than she could have ever anticipated, given their previous relationship and current circumstances. But Myatuk was old enough to know what was happening to her. The signs had been coming for the last few days and weeks, and she knew that they would need to have a discussion- and as soon as possible- as to whether or not they wanted to expand their family. The thoughts raced through Mya’s mind all at once, and she knew, given previous signs, that that needed to be a discussion that happened now.

A short howl, and then it was time to wait.

Aug 26, 2017 01:58 PM

[ ignore ]
Name Player
Verin Aekyr Lea Staff
Achievements (?)
1year 2mos 6mos 100ooc 100posts 250posts 500posts anniversary1 betatester bugsuggestion helper lonelythreads ny2015 otm profile supporter tumblr welcomeguide wikicontributor

Verin had noticed. That Mya’s scent had shifted, that her moods had shifted. He was old enough and smart enough that he knew what that meant. So he had given her her space - not wanting to pressure her at all - but he was enjoying their life enough that it was tough.

They were a family again. He was worried about his son - he was desperate to get to know his son, with how Darcy and Haden described him as a mini-Verin - but he tried not to let the worry eat at him. Instead, he focused on how beautiful and strong his daughters were growing to be, how easily Mya filled the roll of mother and matriarch. It was easy, to defer to the females’ decisions and opinions and wants. It was easy, to not have to worry about anything but making sure they were safe.

He was patrolling, circling the area in the forest that his family had settled, happily closing in close to the geysers. It was here, over three years ago, that he met Tanqueray. She changed his life, she did, by telling him that Roman was in the valley and searching. Her existence also was what clued him in that that female who used the false name was someone to be wary of. Impostoray, he called her in his head. But with no other notes of wolves using false names and having never seen that yellowed-eyed wolf again, he didn’t worry too much.

Today, though, he caught the howl. And headed over to investigate what Myatuk wanted.

Aug 26, 2017 02:39 PM — Post #1

[ permalink ]   [ ignore ]
Name Player
Myatuk Darm Katie
Achievements (?)

Even after all these months apart, Myatuk could still instantly sense Verin’s approach. His black form seemed to merge from the shadows of the forest, his bright blue eyes the only thing visible until he had gotten within a few yards of her. She stood, walking slowly over to where he was. Her head found his neck, and she nuzzled him in an affectionate way that perhaps he had not felt since they had been part of the Firewing Brotherhood.

It was quiet for a few minutes as she maintained her position, breathing in his scent and enjoying the familiarity and comfort that it finally brought again.

“Things are changing,” she finally murmured, pulling away and looking at Verin with interest, and almost a little bit of hope.

Sep 08, 2017 11:50 AM — Post #2

Name Player
Verin Aekyr Lea Staff
Achievements (?)
1year 2mos 6mos 100ooc 100posts 250posts 500posts anniversary1 betatester bugsuggestion helper lonelythreads ny2015 otm profile supporter tumblr welcomeguide wikicontributor

[ Gahhh finding it so hard to gather muse. But must! Time limits! Also, Kelly is forcing me. But we love her. xD ]

Oh. OH.

As soon as Mya pressed herself into him, Verin knew what was going on. He could barely help it as his pulse sped up. Patience, old man, he told himself, letting his cheek lower and return the affection. Despite the, erm, seasonal happiness that this brought, it was welcome for plenty of other reasons. Namely, that Verin and Myatuk had returned to true Verituk status, that they were one unit, on the same side, and each other’s even and equal partner once again.

That warmed his heart, as much as her sulty tone warmed…. other parts of him.

“Oh?” he mused in return, trying - and failing - to keep his smirk knowing. He tilted his head, wondering just how playful he should get. Just how teasing Mya would be able to handle.

So instead he chose to play it safe, and play it dumb. Let her lead the way. One of the things he loved about her was that she refused to just tag along and play the damsel. “And how so, my love?”

Sep 10, 2017 10:32 PM — Post #3

Name Player
Myatuk Darm Katie
Achievements (?)

Myatuk glanced up from where her gaze had drifted to the trees behind them towards Verin at the sound of his response, watching with amusement as he tried to keep his sly smile contained. There was no doubt in her mind he knew exactly what was going on. He was nearly eight after all.

Eight?

The thought jolted her as she realized her own age was slowing growing as well. Thinking back on the years, even just for a moment, she couldn’t have guessed where the time went. Far too much of it was spent away from Verin; far too much spent in the arms of grief and sorrow. She was determined to keep that from happening again. But were they really closing in on seven and eight years old?

She supposed her body was starting to move a bit slower. She had a familiar little ache in her bones in the morning when the air was cold. But she had just assumed it was part of adjusting to life outside the pack.

She must have suddenly seemed surprised, as her body tensed slightly and eyes widened. She looked at Verin almost as though she were seeing him for the first time. “We’re starting to get old,” she announced bluntly, almost incredulously. She was sure that was not the direction Verin had anticipated the conversation taking.. maybe even a mood killer, but, well… it was a segue into what they needed to discuss anyway.

Sep 12, 2017 08:11 PM — Post #4

Name Player
Verin Aekyr Lea Staff
Achievements (?)

Definitely killed the mood.

And Verin couldn’t help the laugh that burst out of him, dropping his butt to sit, his head lowering towards the ground as his whole body rumbled in the laugh. He hadn’t laughed like that in a long time.

But he didn’t stop his movement - after the first moment of the laugh passed, he reached forward and plastered a wet lick on Mya’s cheek. “Just catching on, are we?” he asked, the chuckle still in his voice. “I’m not getting old, Mya. I’m already there. But I’m never really old, when I’m with you,” he went on, the laugh pausing long enough to show his sincerity.

But there was some seriousness in the topic, so a moment later Verin was back on his feet, pacing slightly. “The truth is, I’ve never felt younger. For the first time, my only purpose in life is taking care of you guys. It’s not catering to some long-forgotten legacy or trying to prove myself to a wild father or a stoic mother or a dour brother.” His words might have been harsh, but there was a smile there that proved he still loved them, regardless. “Sure, there are some new aches that weren’t there before, and every day I notice more grey furs. But we have our family, and each other, and peace, and freedom, and that’s all I could ask for.”

He was nearly panting. He didn’t like talking that much. But this was Mya, and he didn’t have secrets. Not from her. Not anymore. Not ever again.

Sep 12, 2017 08:22 PM — Post #5

Name Player
Myatuk Darm Katie
Achievements (?)

The sound of Verin’s laugh filled her with an inexplicable joy. She couldn’t help but grin as she watched his reaction, laughing lightly along with him in a moment that felt as though they should be almost floating above the ground. The affection, the words he spoke in return… if she could have melted, she would have.

This was a way she hadn’t felt in a long time.

It was as though their burdens of the last five years had been lifted off their shoulders. There was no pack to worry about; the children they did have were grown and young adults now. There was no one to impress, no one to appease, nothing to overshadow them in discovering and living their own legacy. It was like they were kids again, young and wild and free, running rampant in Piedras Rojas, though even then, the weight of their families were always in the forefront of their minds. They should have run away like this a long time ago. And Verin himself seemed to acknowledge that in response. She could only nod for a moment, and broke her gaze with him only to nestle her face again into his neck.

“I like it far better this way,” she murmured into his fur. “You and me. The way it should have been all along.”

She could feel that familiar pressure, that tension building in her stomach. Verin could feel it too- his hot, quick breaths on her neck made her heart race, and she found herself pressing deeper into his fur. “Verin…”

Sep 14, 2017 08:02 PM — Post #6

[ Edited: Sep 14, 2017 08:06 PM by Myatuk ]
Name Player
Verin Aekyr Lea Staff
Achievements (?)

Verin liked words. He was good at using them, at using polite and diplomatic words, words that calmed tense situations like a comforting blanket on a cold winter day. Not that he understood that metaphor, but work with me here.

But never in his life did Verin more want to throw away every word he ever knew and just give in to gut urges.

But like. Common. It’s Verin.

So while every instinct told him not to, Verin took a half-step back when Mya pressed herself into his fur, when she nearly purred his name like that, when every nerve ending in his body went on alert.

Because regardless of everything, Verin was practical. Verin was astute. Verin needed to make sure there were plans. “Mya, my love,” he said softly - not seductively-softly, more cautiously-softly - “are you sure this is what you… we….” he let his words trail off. Because he wasn’t even sure what he was asking. Just that actions have consequences, and while he knew the action would be enjoyable… he had to think about those consequences. What they would mean.

Didn’t they just agree that things were perfect? Did they want to change things up again?

Sep 14, 2017 10:14 PM — Post #7

Name Player
Myatuk Darm Katie
Achievements (?)

Myatuk couldn’t mask the surprise- and almost annoyance- as Verin took a step away from her. Her brows furrowed in confusion, she looked up at him, eyes narrowed ever so slightly. And then he opened his mouth.

Ever logical Verin. Ever thorough Verin. She loved him and she hated him in this moment. She could have snapped and kissed him in the very same moment. I mean, she was right in the middle of heat, so she got to be wildly emotional for awhile. And those two emotions were running rampantly in her mind, racing back and forth as though trying to determine a winner, a victor to influence the words that would come out of her mouth.

But she bit her tongue, and just stared him at him, her own heart beating wildly, her own breath running out of control. It took a minute for her to get control of her thoughts. She knew what she wanted in the moment, but she didn’t know how that correlated with what she wanted for the future.

“Well… what do we want?” she asked softly, no edge of irritation in her tone.

Sep 15, 2017 10:18 AM — Post #8

Name Player
Verin Aekyr Lea Staff
Achievements (?)

He wanted… well, what did he want?

He wanted a safe life for his family. He wanted his son, home and rested and well and cared for and, well, not to be a stranger. He wanted his daughters to make smart choices and find wolves they loved and trusted and could rely on.

He wanted the safety and security that a pack provided. That was a part of him that he was born and bred into, and a part of him that would never waver. He would always prefer a pack.

But he also wanted the chance to prove to his family that he could put that family first. That he could be above a pack, above those responsibilities, that he was worthy of the title of “father.”

So maybe he DID want this. Another litter. Another little pack to take care of. To prove that he could do it. To prove that he was worthy. Though whether he was proving that to his father, or Roman… or Mya. Or Darcy and Loren and Haden. Or… well, maybe just to himself. Maybe he needed to prove it to himself.

Maybe he could prove that he could make a pack and a family have similar values and goals. Make them line up. Make it come in a way that would have Mya appreciate it, love it, come to find solace in it.

Have you ever known a male to think so hard when there’s a female in heat pressed up beside him? Bless, Verin, you little self-cockblocking dummy. You are my favourite.

“I… I think I want… to do this,” he finished lamely, not even sure how to smile at the thought.

He was just a mish-mash of conflicting thoughts from his head and his… well, other head. Bow chicka bow woowwww.

Sep 15, 2017 10:34 PM — Post #9

Name Player
Myatuk Darm Katie
Achievements (?)

Myatuk could almost see the wheels turning in Verin’s mind as he stared at her, thoughts racing back and forth in her own to match his. She couldn’t begin to fathom the level to which he was considering what consequences their actions, but she could understand to some degree. She had certainly had a little more time to think it over, as she began to realize what had been happening with her own body. She supposed she wouldn’t have summoned him here had she not been ready to jump all in.

Besides, she wanted all of him. Right now, in the moment, there was very little that would keep him from her. And when his train of thought finally reached its station, his response was almost exactly whats he had expected to hear.

“Me too.” And she smiled at him as though all were right in the world. And for once, perhaps in their lives- at least in this moment, together- it was. It was a split second before she had closed that small gap between them, and then was licking his nose affectionately and burying herself deep into the sweet smell of his fur.

Sep 15, 2017 11:02 PM — Post #10

Name Player
Verin Aekyr Lea Staff
Achievements (?)

Well, that was… invitation enough, I guess. No more preamble needed, no more discussions to be had.

So… fade? I guess?

And then when it was all over, Verin happily sprawled out on his side on the cool grey stones, staring up at the equally grey sky. A burst of water flew into the sky - how, well, visually fitting for what happened. He nearly chuckled to himself. But he lifted his head to beckon Myatuk over, to let her snuggle into him, to continue filling his head and nose with her.

GOSH it’s a lot more awkward to write fade-back-ins than it is to write fade-outs. xD

Sep 15, 2017 11:20 PM — Post #11

Name Player
Myatuk Darm Katie
Achievements (?)

Their separation had been to cool off, and nothing more. The heat of their bodies, even in the middle of winter, had almost been too much to bear, but it was warm and welcoming nonetheless. Myatuk’s breaths slowed- she could watch them in the cold air, in and out- and she shook her fur and took a few steps to close the momentary distance between them.

“Apparently we’re not that old,” she laughed lightly as she nestled in to him, her head resting on his side so she could feel his breaths underneath her cheek. It had been a long time since they had been this close- quite literally- and the feeling that accompanied that was indescribable. How she had missed this freedom, this love that they shared that they didn’t need words to communicate. With no burdens on their shoulders other than one son who had long left home, it was a true statement- they weren’t that old. At least, Myatuk couldn’t feel it today. She felt like she had those many years ago, innocent and young and free.

“I love you,” she murmured softly, only loud enough for him to hear her words. That was all she needed.

Sep 16, 2017 04:15 PM — Post #12

[ Edited: Sep 16, 2017 09:58 PM by Myatuk ]
Name Player
Verin Aekyr Lea Staff
Achievements (?)

Verin chuckled along with her happily, his smile even more pronounced as she curled up at his side. He pressed his chin down, giving the slightest nuzzle to whatever part of her he could reach, trying to press his nose into her fur. “And I love you,” he murmured his reply, not that it needed to be said. They knew. She knew. He hoped she’d always know, regardless of what happened in their past.

He let out a small sigh, somewhere between contented and concerned, lost in his own thoughts. Always lost in thought, he was. In this case, he was thinking about their daughters. Their son. He hoped they would be okay with this new progression in their parents’ relationship. But it was a sensitive topic, so Verin tried not to think about it.

“It was here, among the geysers, that I first learned that Roman was in the valley, alive and looking for me,” he found himself saying, his voice a soft melody into Mya’s ears. He wasn’t sure why he was compelled to tell her. But, here we were.

Sep 16, 2017 09:53 PM — Post #13

Name Player
Myatuk Darm Katie
Achievements (?)

Myatuk could tell that Verin was deep in thought, though what exactly he was thinking about was a mystery to her in this moment. If he matched her own thoughts, then it was excitement- and concern, naturally- for whatever future may lay ahead with this new development in their relationship. But Verin spoke, and she realized perhaps his thoughts were a little farther away than she had anticipated them being.

She said nothing for a few moments, a little surprised to hear Roman’s name. But the moment was tender in that it was vulnerable. They hadn’t really talked a lot about the journey each had taken to get to Horizon. Myatuk had preferred to forget hers, and Verin in his wisdom had decided it was better not to talk about that part of their separated past at all. She breathed a little hum, her mind wandering back to Roman and Verin and their relationship.

“Do you think…” she trailed off, not sure how to phrase her question without opening up Verin to the pain of possibility. ”...do you think you’ll ever see him again?”

Sep 16, 2017 10:03 PM — Post #14

Name Player
Verin Aekyr Lea Staff
Achievements (?)

Myatuk’s question was met with silence for a bit, as Verin pondered how best to answer it. It was a question that plagued him constantly and consistently - and not just about Roman. But about all of his siblings. He had SEVEN of them. And yet… they were all strangers to him now, more or less. He wasn’t even sure if he’d recognize them, or if they’d recognize him. But he finally answered as truthfully as he could.

“No,” was the short answer. “Which, of course, makes me sad, but… I think I left him, and that whole Aekyr part of me, behind when I left the Brotherhood.” Even if Roman returned to the valley, returned to the Glen, returned to the pack they started… Verin and his family was long gone. And no one there knew at all where any of them had gone to. “And the further we go from the Glen, the less of a chance there is for me to be wrong.”

And he wasn’t ready to say it out loud, but there was a tiny part of him that

had accepted that.

was okay with that.

wanted that.

He felt like a sham, a fraud, a plain-and-simple jerk. But his family, his Aekyr name, it had held him back for so much of his life.

Maybe it was okay to just be free of it.

Sep 16, 2017 10:32 PM — Post #15

Showing page 1 of 2.

Please log in or register to reply to this thread.