Roleplay Forums | Map

Emerald Bay Lifesaving
[continuation] Wavehaven | After 'Baywatch', with Rathbone | Full Winter | Midday | Snow about | High tide

Name Player
Bucky Rangers Chris the Rebel Wolf
Achievements (?)
helper otm profile

The high tide had washed seawater all the way up the stream, swelling the sea level pool that lay between the cliff and the hillside. It was the latter that Bucky rounded the edge of now, flicking a warning ear at the lowest pool.

“Looks good, but the tide reaches this far so it’s salty, so don’t drink out of it. The higher pools are mostly all frozen, but a few of the waterfalls are trickling further up if you’re thirty.” He offered, then paused so Rathbone could look around at the beach end of the gorge.

Bucky had always liked it here. He pointed with his muzzle to the cliff on the other side of the stream. “It’s all rock on that side, not like the hill here. But it’s a great lookout point, you can see all the way out to the range form the top, and there’s a few ways up that aren’t too steep a climb.” He relayed. “The hill we’re on now is good shelter, and I’ll show you our cache when you’re ready, it’s up bit further.”

Sep 07, 2017 11:08 PM

[ ignore ]
Name Player
Rathbone Fitzroy Sam
Achievements (?)
100posts profile

The scent of the Adunati Rangers was strong. One he wouldn’t forget.

Rathbone looked around the beach with interest. It was immensely different compared to the dark forest he had been raised in. He looked at all of the pools, the frozen ones and salted ones. The brute heeded when Bucky mentioned to drink from the waterfalls, not the pools. Crystal blue eyes followed wherever the lead ranger gestured or described.

He wondered if Leas had found a nice spot to den in.

“It all looks very nice,” he said. Then he turned to look at him, all set to follow him further into the gorge.

Sep 07, 2017 11:16 PM — Post #1

[ permalink ]   [ ignore ]
Name Player
Achievements (?)
helper otm profile

Bucky only nodded at the compliment to his home. He’d been lucky, he knew. The gorge was perfect as a home, providing decent shelter, food, easy access to the beach for those that loved it, and the range at the other end for those who preferred something more solid than sand underpaw.

He carried on a little further, so they were heading south towards the range end. “There’s the cache.” He pointed to the scooped-out dip in the hillside, kept free of snow by all the paws trampling to and fro around it, a clear hub of pack scent. The soil had clearly been disturbed where prey was buried, visible now all the grass was dead.

“If you want to cross to the cliff side, right now it’s easy. Most of the ponds are frozen pretty solid and can bear even my weight, just use your common sense anywhere there’s running water left - ice is obviously thinner there. When it all defrosts, just down there.” Another muzzle-point. “Is a good point to use those big rocks to get across to the other side. You can jump from one to the next and only have to get ankle-deep in the water in a few places.”

Sep 07, 2017 11:34 PM — Post #2

Name Player
Rathbone Fitzroy Sam
Achievements (?)
100posts profile

“Hm,” he grunted. He wasn’t so sure about all of the jumping… Rathbone wasn’t that spry or agile.

“Is there a specific area that visitors stay at?” he asked. He imagined that some packs preferred to have them den in a certain area.

His natal pack was never one to accept refugees besides females, and the members—males, mostly—usually weren’t too keen on letting them leave after winter. A ghost of a frown appeared on his face as he compared his brother’s pack to this one. He wished their pack could have operated more like this, but they couldn’t. Prey wasn’t nearly as plentiful and hunting was more difficult because of the terrain. The pack was full of desperate and greedy wolves who faced starvation and meaningless bloodshed on a regular basis.

Everyone here seemed much nicer, friendlier—hospitable. The concepts were foreign to him but welcomed with open arms, nonetheless.

Sep 07, 2017 11:45 PM — Post #3

Name Player
Achievements (?)
helper otm profile

Bucky kept making his way down the stream bank, though not close by it since Rathbone hadn’t mentioned being thirsty. “Not really - we’re new enough we don’t have set rules about visitors. Caesar has a cave under the cliff, I sleep on clifftop, Pharaoh and his mate den near the top of the hill here. There’s definitely more coming and going at the beach end, so if you’re after a bit more peace and quiet I’d go for the middle or the range end.” He offered.

So far Rathbone seemed polite but cautious. Time and tides would tell what he was like as a pack wolf. So far Bucky favoured his usual idea of ‘stay for a bit before deciding’ with potential pack members. He didn’t like to rush into things, and as recent events proved not all visitors to the pack were going to be respectful. Hopefully Rathbone wasn’t one of that kind.

“I’m wondering if I should go and see if I can find Empress to talk to.” He admitted after a beat. “I’m torn between that and forewarning her kids she’s here, which, seeing as there are four of them and one of me and one of Empress, logic says she’ll be easier to speak to.” He heaved a sigh. He looked forward to meeting Empress just abut as much as she looked forward to telling Regent off when she got pushy.

“Do you mind if I call Leas and let her show you around the range end of the gorge?”

Sep 08, 2017 03:01 AM — Post #4

Name Player
Leas Matti
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Leas trotted through the gorge, not having a particular destination but simply meandering along seeing who from the Rangers - or their guests - were about. She’d been starting to feel better these last few days - the gross feeling in her stomach from being in heat wasn’t completely gone, but it wasn’t as annoying or alarming anymore. Rath had said this only lasted so long, and it seemed like it was going away now.

She spotted just the wolf she had been thinking about when she moved through the center of the gorge. Rath and Bucky walking along, looking like they were having a pleasant enough conversation. She was glad the two had met, she hadn’t been sure if Rath had just been hanging around the gorge the last few days without having been officially introduced to the pack yet or not, but now it seemed all was well.

She turned towards the pair with a smile. “Good afternoon,” she called as she got closer to the pair. She came up alongside Rath and gave him a friendly nuzzle across the shoulder. Rath had said to keep their mating a secret, but when they’d met Efeon he didn’t seem all that concerned that they had acted like good friends, so this was fine too, right?

“Where are you two headed?” Leas asked curiously.

Sep 08, 2017 07:59 AM — Post #5

Name Player
Rathbone Fitzroy Sam
Achievements (?)
100posts profile

Rathbone glanced at the clifftop the male had mentioned, to remember in case of an emergency. He simply nodded when he was told of other den locations. The range end sounded like a better place to den rather than smack in the middle. He would rather keep to himself out there.

And then he mentioned Empress.

“Well I asked Leas to mention to someone that we were coming,” he said, “so that it wouldn’t be a big surprise or two strangers showing up, I didn’t know how the pack was with strangers, then. So maybe they already know?”

Just as the leader was starting to mention Leas, his ear flicked toward the girl’s voice. The brute’s head turned toward her and he gave her a smile.

Sep 08, 2017 10:53 AM — Post #6

Name Player
Achievements (?)
helper otm profile

That might actually make things easier, if the Proleators, or some of them, already knew. Bucky sniffed the air, pleased to find Leas was incoming now, maybe catching her friend’s scent. That meant he could figure out who actually knew about Empress of her children.

“Afternoon Leas.” He dipped his head to the hardworking yearling with a small smile. “Found a friend of yours on the beach. I wondered if you might want to show him the last half of the gorge?” He asked, then looked over his shoulder.

“I’m thinking about going and talking to Empress if I can before she comes here.” And wrecks havoc on my pack. “But just to save me some time, which of the Proleator kids know she’s coming…?”

Sep 08, 2017 06:50 PM — Post #7

Name Player
Leas Matti
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Did Leas mind showing Rath around the other end of the gorge, that seemed to have fewer wolves in it and where they’d most likely be alone? “I’d be absolutely happy to show him around the rest of the gorge,” she said with a sincere grin. “You’ll like it here, Rath,” Leas reassured, already feeling fairly settled in to this territory , regardless of the fact that she wasn’t in the Rangers. She didn’t even think that her reply might make it seem like she’d decided to stay.

Leas didn’t realize they’d been talking about Empress before she arrived. She still felt dreadful about the whole mix up. “I-I’m sorry. I r-really didn’t k-know that th-they wouldn’t want to s-see her again.” Leas apologized right away, she didn’t want Bucky to be mad that she’d told Rath and he’d told Empress. Leas’ tail tucked down in response and she hoped this wouldn’t cause trouble. At least it seemed like Empress hadn’t actually found any of her children yet.

“I t-told Pharaoh. I t-tried to find t-the others, b-but they weren’t a-around.” Should she have tried harder to find them? Bucky would be mad that she hadn’t tried harder, wouldn’t he? It wasn’t that hard, but Leas didn’t really know the others, and she’d called for them but they never came to talk to her.

Sep 08, 2017 07:03 PM — Post #8

Name Player
Rathbone Fitzroy Sam
Achievements (?)
100posts profile

He’ll like it here. “Hm,” he grunted. The smile remained on his face. Yes, he was sure that he would, but the brute was a forest wolf and far from being a pack wolf. That life was long gone.

He wanted to be alone.

But if Leas liked it here, then there probably wasn’t a very high likelihood he would be able to convince her to travel with him. This place was good for the winter, but he wanted to get back to being under branches with grass beneath his paws. God, what if she’s pregnant? Would he be stuck here?

His mind returned to the present when he noticed her getting flustered and nervous with talking about Empress.

“I’m sure everything will be fine, Leas,” he said, trying to reassure her. The brute tried to make his best and warmest smile and then smiled at Bucky, as well.

Right?

Sep 08, 2017 07:26 PM — Post #9

Name Player
Achievements (?)
helper otm profile

Bucky shook his head and lifted a soothing paw to wave away Leas’ anxiety when she immediately turned nervous, her earlier happiness dissipating. “Relax Leas. You did well to let Pharaoh know. I just wanted to find out who knew already and who didn’t, as he might have told his sisters and saved me a job. I think Empress may be, ah, a little disappointed in the lives her children have build for themselves here.” He sighed and shook his head, smiling back a little when Rathbone chimed in encouragingly.

“But we’ll sort it out. Now, I’ll leave you two to exploring.” He dipped his head to the pair of them before turning back to the beach. 

He assumed Rathbone would show Leas the same politeness he had with him, and she’d definitely been happy at the prospect of showing her friend around. It probably made her feel like less of the new girl, he assumed. 

((Exit unless called back!))

Sep 08, 2017 07:33 PM — Post #10

Name Player
Leas Matti
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Leas was startled by Bucky’s nonchalance. She thought she’d be upset about it, but he said it was good even that she’d just told Pharaoh. She thought Pharaoh would be mad too when she realized that he didn’t get along with his mother, but he’d just wanted to talk to his mate. Leas just wasn’t expecting everyone here to be so nice, to be happy reassuring of things she thought were mistakes. “O-okay,” was all Leas managed in reply before Bucky turned to leave. He’d even explained a bit more about Pharaoh and his mother. Maybe Empress being here wouldn’t be a disaster, just a bit of a hassle for everyone.

With Bucky gone she shook her head to clear it quickly before leaning into Rath, feeling like she could be a little more affectionate now that they were alone again. “D-do you want to see the rest of the gorge? It’s quite up that way usually.” Leas motioned with her head towards the eastern end.

They’d be able to walk just a bit and disappear from prying eyes behind an outcropping or something else similar. Leas glanced over at Rath with a slightly mischievous smile, remembering the previous time they’d been alone together.

Sep 08, 2017 07:43 PM — Post #11

Name Player
Rathbone Fitzroy Sam
Achievements (?)
100posts profile

Rathbone dipped his head to the Lead Ranger as he departed. Once he was gone, the timber wolf felt Leas lean against him. His head swung back around to give her a lick on the head.

“Yes, yeah,” he said. “Lead the way.”

A soft growl was made at the mischievous look on her face and his tail swished.

“How are you feeling?” he asked, referring to her heat. He couldn’t tell if she was still in it or if it had just passed. She still smelt nice and rubbing on him. And the look she made gave he some hope that she had something in mind.

Sep 08, 2017 07:51 PM — Post #12

Name Player
Leas Matti
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Leas left her own lick across Rath’s cheek before turning quickly to trot playfully a few steps, brushing her tail across his shoulder as she did so. “Let’s go this way,” she called, waiting for him to catch up before moving forward more.

“I’m feeling better than I was a few days ago,” Leas started. She’d been less frustrated and annoyed, far less confused about the whole thing since she’d met Rath, but she was still in heat. The annoying feeling wasn’t completely gone, and she’d been hoping to catch Rath alone again. It was just….fun to mate with him. Why didn’t everyone do this, all the time? It was better than any game Leas’ had ever played and unlike all the many other ways to get into trouble, nothing bad happened.

“But I bet we could think of something that would make us both even happier,” Leas replied with a wink. She was getting better at this flirting thing she thought, and it seemed like Rath enjoyed their alone time as well.

Sep 08, 2017 08:02 PM — Post #13

Name Player
Rathbone Fitzroy Sam
Achievements (?)
100posts profile

Rathbone was quick to trot after her. She was feeling better… did that mean heat was over or it was wrapping up? The brute didn’t know everything about heat: just how long it typically lasted. He had never mated with a female multiple times and, usually, his company wasn’t sought for. Because, reportedly, he wasn’t good at it.

The male hummed when the girl winked at him and was much more eager to find a quiet and remote area. There didn’t seem to be very many wolves around, but there was no way in hell he was about bang in the middle of a pack’s territory that he didn’t even belong to.

His brain sighed. He was going to have to talk to her about how he felt about staying at the gorge.

Afterwards, though.

Sep 08, 2017 08:08 PM — Post #14

Name Player
Leas Matti
Achievements (?)
None yet!

Leas trotted around an outcropping that the stream in the gorge would normally run past. She glanced around but didn’t see or hear any other wolves again. Rath had said they should keep things like this a secret, but it was still a secret as long as there wasn’t anyone around to notice them.

She turned back to the male and nuzzled into his fur, making soft, contented noises. She liked how he smelled and looked and he was always so sweet. Even just before he’d reassured her and asked how she was feeling.

“Hmmmm? Do you want to?” Leas asked shyly, trying to be a little bit subtle, but feeling very very forward. She was almost certain he’d figure out what she was asking. She was feeling suddenly needy now that they were back alone and talking about this. She licked at the fur behind his ear a few times before tugging at it gently.

Sep 08, 2017 08:26 PM — Post #15

Showing page 1 of 3.

Please log in or register to reply to this thread.